Zurich-Lucerne-Grindelwald-Jungfrau in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 2:40:18 #813005

Hi, I will be Travelling to Switzerland from 4th-9th October and so far this is the itinerary that I came up with. Would be good if someone could advise on the route planned.

Spend one night in Zurich, explore the old town etc.

Take the rail train to lucerne on the 2nd day and spend 2 nights there. 1st day to explore the chapel bridge, wall towers, Churches, lion monument and lake lucerne. ( I believe that they are all walking distance from each other)

2nd day To make a trip to Mt Rigi or take a day trip to interlaken.

3rd day take a train to Grindelwald and spend 2nights there. 1st day to explore the area and hike.

2nd day to take a day trip to Jungfrau.

Is is this an ideal plan for an october trip?

Please advise.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 August 2017 at 9:48:06 #868586

Thanks for posting your plan here Shikin! In general your itinerary looks fine to me. A few tips however:

• Don’t plan mountain trips on fixed days (e.g. Jungfraujoch) but rather wait until the weather forecasts look good enough. Then decide on which day you go.
    • I would not take a day trip to Interlaken while based in Lucerne. You will make that same trip via the Golden Pass line anyway when you transfer to Grindelwald. Apart from that there’s not much to see in Interlaken. The area, including Grindelwald and surroundings, is much more interesting than Interlaken itself.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 10:14:42 #868587

Hi Arno,

thank you so much for your reply. I’ve read to not plan mountain trips due the unpredictable weather in october period. But seeing as how we are only spending 2nights in Grindelwald, would it be ideal to take the risk and go up to jungfrau in october?

am planning to change from interlaken to zermatt then 🙂

btw I know that there is this switzerland mountain coaster, which route would be deal to go there from? Coming down from jungfrau or on the first day to Grindelwald?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 7:25:04 #868588

HI Shikin,

You can get good weather in October to Jungfraujoch -When people say don’t plan a mountain trip ahead of time they mean wait until the day before to actually buy a ticket (if the weather is good). By all means you should plan on going just don’t buy that ticket before you know how the weather will look.

Is there a specific mountain coaster/tobaggan you are looking at? There are many around Switzerland – see here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 8:03:26 #868589

Hi Lucas,

thanks for your reply and advise. So means to say, if I were to plan a trip from grindelwald to Jungfrau on the 6th of october, I will book the tickets the day before provided the weather is good? May I know where can I buy the tickets from?

planning to go to the one at oeschinensee, so stop at Kresteg? Is it ideal to go from grindelwald or from Lucerne? Or spend a night at oeschinensee?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 8:19:14 #868590

Hi Shikin,

Yes, buy the day before, or day of, your planned trip if the weather looks good. You can buy them online here.

You can take a train from Bern/Thun/Spiez directly to Kandersteg, then a gondola to the Oeschinen mountain station. It would be closer to Grindelwald then Luzern.

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out all your trips.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 11:19:20 #868591

Thank you so much Lucas, youve been such a great help!

Cheers~

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 11:28:37 #868592

HI We went to Zurich one day and the next day took the train and we went to Grindelwald and stayed there for 2 days 1 & 2 July. You can buy the jungfrauroch tickets at the train station. unfortunately the day we went up Top of Europe it was snowing very hard. The tickets allowed us to go to the cable car within Grindelwald as its included in the Jungfrauroch tickets. Grindelwald has lots of things to do and we stayed at an apartment in apartment Renata amazing place hope you enjoy Grindelwald

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 11:41:34 #868593

Hi @Aussiefamily, great to know that Grindelwald has so much to offer! Pretty excited to visit there as well. May i ask on what places to recommend in Grindelwald to see?

The Jungfrauroch ticket can be bought at the Grindelwald train station?

Thanks for your comment! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 13:14:49 #868594

HI We only did the cable car as we travelled from Zurich i would recommend to stay 3 days here to enjoy the free stuff included in your tickets Swiss travel pass and Jungfraujoch tickets but due to colder weather and it was foggy/cloudy plus raining a bit in July we couldn’t do much. We wonder around the town and had dinner in our apartment as it was nice view and it had all the stuff we need balcony nice kitchen and nice view

hope you have a great day on your visit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 14:09:35 #868595

Thank you so much for you great advise! Cant wait to enjoy and take in everything while in Switzerland 🙂

Cheers~

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 5:47:02 #868596

@lucas hi, regarding the jungfrau tickets. we just have to purchase a train ticket up to Jungfrau right? Are there any more payment required to pay to the ice palace, walking on top the mountain etc?

Thank you!

Regards,

Shikin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:06:18 #868597

Walking around is no extra charge :).

Something like the snow park costs extra for rentals etc. The Ice Palace is not an extra cost no.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Zurich-Lucerne-Grindelwald-Jungfrau in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.