Mountain day trips during 2 day stay in Zurich

• madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    13 March 2017 at 12:20:48 #811053

Hi,

I am now planning my second visit to Switzerland in 6 months! I benefitted immensely due to advise of this forum and visited Zermatt,Matterhorn, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch.

This time I am reaching Zurich by bus from Eindhoven on 14th April 2017 at 0830 Hrs and will leave Zurich by bus at 1930 Hrs on 15th April 2017 night. I would like to know whether I should stay in Zurich or in Lucerne

Since I arrive Zurich at 0830 hrs, will I be able to make it to Mt.Pilatus same day and Mt Titlis next day and yet make it back to Zurich to catch bus to Eindhoven at 19.30. Should I use services of Viator service for the mountain trips? Will that make it easier for me to catch my return bus from Zurich?

Thanks

Sundar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 17:57:42 #860017

Hi Sundar,
    I am glad you have found our website so useful!

Most day tours I have found get you back to Zurich at approximately 7pm – so that is very tight to get your bus on the 15th. You may want to do this trip on your own so you can leave at any time you want to make sure you get back to Zurich in time for your bus (at least on April 15).
    You could do a tour without issue on April 14 if you like. I suppose I would stay in Luzern overnight however, as that would make it quicker to get to the mountain you choose on your 2nd day.

You can find the routes you can use to get to these destinations here for Mt. Pilatus and here for Mt. Titlis.
    Use the Swiss Railway timetable here, for train schedules from Zurich to your destination.

I hope that helps!

Let me know if you have more questions!

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    14 March 2017 at 4:30:03 #860018

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think I will make Lucerne my base camp and stay they there for a night on 14th April 2017.

I prefer to stay close to a Train station. Which station is convenient for Mt .Titlis and Mt Pilatus trips? I liked the details I read about a hotel in Bruchstrasse 35. Will this location be OK for arrival from Zurich by train and further excursions to mountains?

Do you think we can hike down the mountains for any stretch – two of us are around 60 years of age and can do about 5 to 10 KM easily?

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Sundar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 9:33:46 #860019

Hi Sundar,

The hotel you mentioned is about a 10 minute walk to the Luzern train station – sounds like that will be ok for you? It is about 10 minutes by train and foot to get to the Gondola at Kriens for the trip to Mt. Pilatus.

Hiking will be limited or non-existent in mid April as snow is still abundant (ski season is just starting to close for the season on Pilatus for example).

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Mountain day trips during 2 day stay in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.