How to travel from Zurich to Appenzell

• Shesha51
    Participant
    16 posts
    19 March 2019 at 16:43:41 #820488

Is there a train or a mode of transportation from Zurich to Appenzell? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 16:49:35 #906968

Hi Shesha51,

Yes, there are regular trains between Zurich and Appenzell, travelling time approx. 1.5 – 2 hours, however you will have to change trains once.

Search the connection in this timetable link for details:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
    Steph

Shesha51
    Participant
    16 posts
    19 March 2019 at 23:48:02 #906969

Thanks so much for the info!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 2:37:57 #906970

Take an inter-city train to St Gallen and the Appenzell railways tram to Appenzell,

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/855.pdf

or take an IC or IR train to Gossau and take the other Appenzell railways line to Appenzell via Herisau

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/854.pdf

Shesha51
    Participant
    16 posts
    20 March 2019 at 3:52:46 #906971

Thank you so much for the information!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 March 2019 at 19:37:55 #906972

Hello,

When I was a student I traveled by train all over north-eastern Switzerland, staying in the Toggenburg, but I wasn’t even aware of the St. Gallen to Appenzell tram route. I have done the route where you get off at Gossau and cut over to Herisau. Sometimes this saved me time when I wanted to go to Mogelsberg.

Anyway, why not try both of the routes suggested by 1960man ? Go via Herisau, and return by St. Gallen. This would allow for a bit of exploring that city if time allows.

Shesha51
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 March 2019 at 3:47:35 #906973

Thank you for sharing. Very helpful!

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:12:34 #906974

Lovely part of the world!

I endorse the recommendation to do it both ways and if there is time consider the rail extensions to Alstatten and/or Wasserauen.

Some great scenery on both lines, not often visited, it seems, by contributors to this forum.

I read recently that rail services in the area were under review due to declining patronage.

Recently, the line from Trogen t0 St Gallen has been through routed to Gais (near Appenzell).

OSTWIND tickets are good for local journeys.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 1:36:34 #906975

Recently, the line from Trogen to St Gallen has been through routed to Gais (near Appenzell).

Not quite true. What has happened is that the two lines out of St Gallen – to Trogen and Appenzell – have been joined together and new tram vehicles now run through all the way Trogen – St Gallen – Gais – Appenzell.

St Gallen – Gais has a new tunnel up the hill out of St Gallen replacing the old rack rail section (more efficient but has lost some of its ‘quirky’ appeal).

“I read recently that rail services in the area were under review due to declining patronage.”

This really only applies to the Gais – Altstatten Stadt branch. The two main lines have received/are receiving heavy investment in new trains and infrastructure (viz above)

• The thread ‘How to travel from Zurich to Appenzell’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.