Zurich to Geneva via Golden Pass in February

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2019 at 7:15:33 #824654

hi

I am travelling from Zurich to Geneva on 17 Feb 2020 with my 2 siblings. I will like to try the Golden Pass Route in between and will like to arrive Geneva on the same day before 5pm.

1) if we have luggages with us, will it be cumbersome to try all 3 trains from Lucerne to Montreux? as we need to change 3 trains in the intervals of only 6 minutes? ( Lucerne to Interlaken OST, Interlaken OST to Ziwesimmen and lastly from Ziwesimmen to Montreux). When we change platforms to go into another train, do we have to exit any gantries and re enter to the departing platforms?

2) If the above is ok, i will have to book separate tickets from Zurich HB to Lucerne? is the Lucerne platform same as the Golden Pass route platform Lucerne?

3) For Golden Pass route, i have to book separate tickets and will not be able to use the SBB website? as the SBB will only propose fast trains and not the scenic trains used in the Golden Pass?

Lastly, if I were to skip 1st 2 section of the Golden Pass route, how do i plan the train trips? from Zurich to ?? so that i can board only the last leg of the Golden Pass (Ziwesimmen to Montreux)

i tried some of the websites and links and found that its not easy to customise the booking to my trips.. any help or advice will be great.

Thanks

Edmun

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 December 2019 at 8:11:38 #926418

Hi Edmun Teo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1) It’s normal to travel with luggages on Swiss trains. Travelling by trains in Switzerland is fairly easy, there are no exits or gates involved when switching platforms. Just make sure you have a valid ticket as conductors will be doing their rounds regularly on the trains and the fines are massive if you are caught travelling without a valid ticket. Good to read: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

2) One ticket is enough, there’s no need to buy separate tickets. From Zurich you will arrive at the main train station in Lucerne and just need to switch platforms to get on the Golden Pass train. Platform numbers are clearly indicated on the timetable. I recommend you to look into getting a Saver Day Pass. I think this makes more sense if you are travelling long distance for one day.

3) You can use the SBB timetable to check for the Golden Pass connections. Panoramic trains are usually indicated as PE or listed clearly by name. See attachment. Alternatively you can check the official website for the fixed timetable: http://www.goldenpassline.ch/en/timetable/

If you wish to travel only on the Zweisimmen – Montreux leg, from Zurich HB you can travel directly to Zweisimmen then begin your Golden Pass journey there. Or do it the other way around: Zurich HB direct to Montreux, Montreux – Zweisimmen via the Golden Pass and Zweisimmen – Zurich HB on regular trains. See attachment.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 December 2019 at 10:25:35 #926419

Hello Edmun,

The full Golden Pass route requires your pot go Zurich – Luzern – Interlaken Ost – Zweisimmen – Montreux – Geneve.

I reckon every visitor to Switzerland ought to get hold of the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares and buying tickets on-line if required. I find it much more user friendly than the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B).

By default the app will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you indicate you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA. For example, if you wanted to follow the full Golden Pass route you would need to search the SBB app looking for Zurich to Geneve via Luzern, Interlaken, Zweisimmen and Montreux. You can either leave at 8:04 an arrive at 15:30 or depart at 10:04 and arrive at 17:21. See attached. The 9:04 departure takes you via Bern.

Making the connections and carrying luggage should not be a problem.

The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections.

• The thread ‘Zurich to Geneva via Golden Pass in February’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.