Zurich to Jungfrau region – 1 week trip Dec. 25-31

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2017 at 1:18:59 #813731

We are flying into Zurich on 25 December and out on 31 December (we got an advantageous airfare). Is it practical to plan a day in Bern and a day in Jugenfrau by rail? Would it make sense to stay overnight in Bern and then spend the day in the Jugenfrau area or plan to overnight in the Jugenfrau area and spend a day in Bern before training back to Zurich? Or are we trying to cram 3 days travel into 2? We are active seniors who enjoy walking (although not strenous hikes with a large gain), scenery and culture. Your advice much apprecited as this is our first trip to Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 November 2017 at 1:38:14 #872326

Hi Susanl and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You could consider going straight to Lucerne and using that as a base or you could go to Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen from where it is easy to reach Bern or Jungfraujoch.

You don’t say what time you are arriving and departing Zurich Airport. That will have a bearing on where you stay.

Lucerne is about 1 hour by train to Zurich Airport. There is not much difference in the train trip from Lucerne to Bern versus Zurich to Bern. Both around 1 hour to 1 hour 20 mins depending on connections.

It is very quick and easy to get around by train. Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2017 at 1:46:25 #872327

Thanks. We arrive in Zurich at 0800 on 25 December. We thought it would be easier to find a hotel and open restaurants in Zurich for Christmas day. And, indeed, we are currently reserved for Christmas lunch at Hotel Storchen. We are the sort of people who prefer to plant ourselves in one place, get to know it and then take day trips. Do you recommend Lucerne over Zurich to stay?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 November 2017 at 2:08:02 #872328

I understand the desire to have a single base – very wise for such a short visit.

I would prefer Lucerne to Zurich. I’m sure you would find Hotels with Christmas Lunch in Luzerne. Also a day trip to Jungfrau region would be easier to fit in going from Luzern. If the weather is amenable you could visit Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi for scenery.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne and http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2017 at 6:34:19 #872329

Hi Susan,

While Zurich is a nice city with a lot to offer, if you are focused on seeing the landscapes/mountains of Switzerland I would also recommend staying closer to the Jungfrau region.

Am I doing the math wrong or are you here for 7 days? I think you wouldn’t have an issue staying the first night or two in Zurich (or Bern or Luzern as you’ll be fine finding hotels with restaurants that are open) and then your remaining days in a town like Lauterbrunnen which offers good rail connections around the Jungfrau region for you to explore.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 November 2017 at 7:35:48 #872330

Good catch Lucas. I siezed on the “cramming 3 days travel into 2” and thought it was a real short stay. Always pays to do the math. 🤓

• The thread ‘Zurich to Jungfrau region – 1 week trip Dec. 25-31’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.