I am traveling from Maimi to Zurich on Mach 15th with my husband and 4 year old son. We arrive on the 16th and plan to stay in Zurich for one night, travel to Lucerne for two nights (17th and 18th), while in Lurcene we want to do a day trip to either mt titls OR mt Pilatus, then travel in wengen and stay there for 5 nights (19th-24) to ski and partake in winter activities. We will plan to make it up to Jungfrua and down to Grindlewald and whereever else we can go during our Wengen stay, Travel back to Zurich on the 24th and stay one night and head to the airport the morning of the 25th. This schedule is set in stone so there is no changing the dates!!
I am so over whelmed with all of the options. Here are my questions:
1. What are the exact trains I would take to travel to my 3 destinations + day trips. Will my ski lift passes get us up to Jungfrau and down to Gindlewald? Would a multi day swiss pass be necessary? I am thinking it may not be if traveling around Wengen is covered on the ski lift. I see there are first class options on trains. Is it best to reserve the seats in advanced? Do they sell out?
2. Which Mt is preferred? Titlis of Pilatus. I do have a 4 year old so the more activities available for the day the better. I know there is a ride or tubing at the top of Titlis? Ae there any age restrictions? we would love to go inside a glacier or walk a really tall bridge!
3. There are a few different ski passes, Gindlewald-wengen, Jungfrau, sledding? which one is best for me to purchase? I did not opt for the hotel stay with passes because i did find a better deal. We would ideally ski different slopes. Ski wengen while my son is in ski school and then take turns skiing in other areas OR ill take my son sledding or tubing or do other snow activities in the other areas outside of wengen. Is sledding included in the ski pass? or do i have to purchase separate? I am thinking thats something my son will do after ski school
4. Anyone have a preference on Ski schools? I am seeing a lot of options. My son has never skied but is excited and will do fine! ideally we would like a friend from home to travel with us so the kids can be together, but thats not happening. is ski school popular? will english speaking kids be in there? We will just do half day and then have some lunch and ski/sled/explore as a family in the afternoon.
5. Child care- god forbid my son tired of skiing is there any non skiing kids club in wengen? We are staying at hotel silberhorn.
6. we would love to do a nigh asking/tubing/sledding. is there anything available in our area?
7. We love to live like locals when we travel. I hate eating in touristy places. Any GREAT recommendations for food in any of our destinations? I will make reservations.
8. Lastly, any hotel recommendations in Zurich or Lucerne? preferably close to the train stations? we will have a lot of luggage and are traveling with and a child, so i am trying to make this as easy as possible while still staying in a 4/5 star hotel. ( if this is even something available) :)
Thank you in advanced for your advice and recommendations! we are excited to go on this adventure!