Zurich to Montreux plus Golden Pass train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 2:41:17 #813471

Hi,

I will travel from Zurich to Montreux but also want to take the Golden Pass Train on the way. I have a few questions.

1. Should I take a train from Zurich to Luzern then board on Golden Pass Train from Luzern to Montreux, or is there another connection I can connect my trip from Zurich with the Golden Pass Train?

2. Will I miss a lot scenic views if I don’t connect through Luzern?

3. Will my travel time be greatly lengthened if I take Golden Pass train other than regular train?

I greatly appreciate any suggestion!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2017 at 2:55:46 #870784

Hello monaGmona,

The Golden Pass Line runs between Luzern and Montreux. It consists of three legs. Read all about it here. http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

So to answer your questions . . . .

1. Yes, you need to go to Luzern to enjoy the full Golden Pass Line. But if as your other posts suggest you may be staying in Interlaken then you will have already done the Luzern to Interlaken leg. You can follow the remainder of the Golden Pass Line from Interlaken if you go via Zweisimmen to Montreux.

You can get to Montreux from Zurich by a quicker less scenic route. The SBB timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will show you the fastest route. If you want to follow the Golden Pass Line you need to include via Luzern, Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen in the search for Zurich to Montreux.

2. Yes.

3. You can compare travel times using the timetable.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2017 at 4:44:38 #870785

To add a bit to my response to your question 2.

There are several ways of getting from Zurich to Montreux. The main ones are listed below in ascending order of travel time (which also coincides with decreasing order of scenic attractions). Approximate travel times in brackets.

Via Bern and Lausanne (2:40) No Golden Pass Line

Via Bern, Spiez and Zweisimmen (4:40) Pick up Golden Pass Line at Spiez

Via Luzern, Interlaken Ost, Spiez, Zweisimmen (6:10) Full Golden Pass Line between Luzern and Montreux

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 6:35:56 #870786

Hi monaGmona,

Something I did a few years ago – Zurich to Zweisimmen (connection in Bern) and then connect on a panoramic train on to Montreux. This leg is the most scenic I think and has the panoramic trains. So you get a good feel for the route if you don’t want (or have time) for the full route via Luzern and Interlaken.

Luzern to Interlaken is also nice (and the trains have larger windows similar to a panoramic train).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 14:49:53 #870787

Hi rockoyster, Thanks a lot for the detailed information. They are really helpful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 14:52:15 #870788

Thanks, Lucas! I will take both routes into consideration.

• The thread ‘Zurich to Montreux plus Golden Pass train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.