Zurich to Munich direct Train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 2:46:46 #815263

Hello, I don’t know if this question fits this forum but here it goes:

I’m trying to book a direct train from Zurich to Munich for June but I cant seem to find any direct connection. The closest I’ve found in the DB website has one change and apparently that the second leg will be cancelled due to construction. I was also looking at the bus option but I’ll be travelling with a 18 months old and they require a car-seat to travel in bus :/

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 4:55:29 #881918

Hi mylene,

Yes, it is an awkward routing between Munich and Zurich due to the Bodensee – I’ve always taken the bus.
    There was, I believe a direct train perhaps once a day but I don’t see it anymore (and it was quite a long trip so I’d pick the bus anyway).

The best you will do is the 1 connection option nowadays. What date are you traveling where there is construction? You can also search http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany and the Swiss railways timetable for more details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 7:45:29 #881919

Hi mylene,

Consider going via Innsbruck, which you can do entirely by train with only one change (in Innsbruck) if you pick the right connection. Although it relates to a trip in the other direction, see if there is any information that might assist you in my post of Mar 20, 2018 – 8:23 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/travelling-from-munich-to-lucerne-in-flixbus

There is a departure from Zürich at 8:40 that you could consider (see attached screenshot). The transfer in Innsbruck will be leisurely, and although the transfer is from platform 7 to platform 21, it’s not as far as you might imagine by the numbers! Platform 21 is near platform 1 (see attached diagram of the station platforms in Innsbruck). The platforms with double-digit numbers are short dead-end platforms used by regional trains. There are lifts to assist you to move between platforms.

After Innsbruck, the train takes a particularly scenic route to München (Munich), starting with a steep climb up the mountain out of Innsbruck with great views into the valley and the River Inn far below, then through scenic mountain villages such as Seefeld in Tirol and Mittenwald, which lies in a valley under a massive mountain.

Feel free to come back with any additional questions.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2018 at 9:28:05 #881920

Hi mylene-

Is the 0709 train the attached screen grab the one that you note has construction? It goes via Buchloe, Germany, with a 6 minute connection there.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 4:06:07 #881921

Thank you so much! I definitely have to go with the train option because they require a car seat for children younger than 3 years old :/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 18:08:37 #881922

Thank you to everyone who answered my question! I think the best option for me would be to take the bus. I only have to find out about the requirement for a car seat in the IC bus.

🙂

• The thread ‘Zurich to Munich direct Train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.