Zurich to Murren round trip- best rail pass choice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 1:45:49 #811040

I’m arriving to Switzerland into Zurich airport and planning to stay in Murren for 3 days, then need to get back to Zurich. While staying in Murren, we plan to hike down to Lauterbrunnen Valley and train to Mannlichen. I’m not sure whether Swiss 3 day rail pass or point to point is most cost effective for a short, limited trip? Thank you for your advice. Julie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 11:22:15 #859971

Hi Julie,

My initial thought is a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is your best bet – it will cover virtually all trips on buses, train and boats. The only way to know for sure is to check out point to point ticket prices and compare that to the cost of the STP. There is an excel sheet to help you with that on our page: How to choose the best Swiss rail pass.

Another option could be the Swiss Half-Fare card, that will give you 50% off trips during your stay.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 15:22:51 #859972

Thank you Lucas. Is the half fare card separate than a train pass? In other words, Is the CHF 120 the cost of the pass but we still pay 50% for the trains, cable cars, etc?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 17:23:02 #859973

Hi Julie,

Yes, you have to buy the Swiss Half-fare Card then you can buy tickets at 50% off.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Zurich to Murren round trip- best rail pass choice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.