Zurich to Murren round trip- best rail pass choice

Zurich to Murren round trip- best rail pass choice

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Julie
Julie
5 posts
Mar 12, 2017 - 1:45 AM

I'm arriving to Switzerland into Zurich airport and planning to stay in Murren for 3 days, then need to get back to Zurich. While staying in Murren, we plan to hike down to Lauterbrunnen Valley and train to Mannlichen. I'm not sure whether Swiss 3 day rail pass or point to point is most cost effective for a short, limited trip? Thank you for your advice. Julie

Lucas
Lucas
5633 posts
expert &
Mar 12, 2017 - 11:22 AM in reply to Julie

Hi Julie,

My initial thought is a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is your best bet - it will cover virtually all trips on buses, train and boats. The only way to know for sure is to check out point to point ticket prices and compare that to the cost of the STP. There is an excel sheet to help you with that on our page: How to choose the best Swiss rail pass.

Another option could be the Swiss Half-Fare card, that will give you 50% off trips during your stay.

Cheers,
Lucas

Julie
Julie
5 posts
Mar 12, 2017 - 3:22 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas. Is the half fare card separate than a train pass? In other words, Is the CHF 120 the cost of the pass but we still pay 50% for the trains, cable cars, etc?

Lucas
Lucas
5633 posts
expert &
Mar 12, 2017 - 5:23 PM in reply to Julie

Hi Julie,

Yes, you have to buy the Swiss Half-fare Card then you can buy tickets at 50% off.

Lucas

Last modified on Mar 12, 2017 - 5:23 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018