Zurich to Murren via Lucerne & Interlaken Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 20:33:23 #820556

Vacationing in Murren in June and would like to take the Luzern-Interlaken Express in my route from Zurich to Murren. I was on the SBB site and entered in, from Zurich to Murren via Luzern but it still took me through Bern rather than the Luzern-Interlaken express option. I pieced it together by doing the individual segments but I was curious if there was another way to tell it I want to start in Zurich and end in Murren but go via the Luzern-Interlaken Express so it could show me the connection times and platforms.

I was also curious if there was a price difference for the panorama car option on the Lucern-Interlaken Express and if so how do I select that option on the SBB site ?

Based on what I pieced together it looks like it would cost about $59.00 for the trip from Zurich to Murren via the Luzern-Interlaken Express. This assumes I also went via the Gimmelwald cable car route and also assumes I purchase a Swiss Half Fare card.

Is there a way in the SBB site to specify a particular route with multiple segments ? For example my route: Zurich / Lucern / Lucern-Interlaken Express (panorama) / Lauterbrunnen / Stechelberg (Schilthornbahn) cable car / Gimmelwald cable car to Murren ? Or do you just piece it together yourself ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 March 2019 at 20:55:13 #907332

The Luzern-Interlaken Express is really just a regular commuter train despite the illustrious title and forming part if the Golden Pass route. The windows are quite large but do not qualify as “Panoramic” in the same sense the Glacier Express and Bernina Express trains use the term.

Using the SBB time-table look for “Advanced Search”. It may only be visible if you search the entire end to end route and then choose “change”. You then get the option to add as many “via” locations as you need to force a particular route. See attached.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 20:57:46 #907333

Thank you, you’re advice has been very helpful on all of my posts and questions. Greatly appreciated

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 March 2019 at 20:58:41 #907334

I just added some pictures to previous reply for clarification.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 1:14:25 #907335

I was on the SBB site and entered in, from Zurich to Murren via Luzern but it still took me through Bern rather than the Luzern-Interlaken express option.

Yes, it would still do that usually because there are fast main line trains Luzern – Bern and Bern – Interlaken.

You needed to input a ‘via’ point between Luzern and Interlaken, such as Lungern

“1960 man’s guide to the Luzern-Interlaken Express (aka the Brünig railway):

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular hourly trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. Due to the geography of the area the lines from Luzern and Interlaken approach Meiringen from the same direction, so the trains must reverse direction in Meiringen station

The ZB trains were replaced recently with new ‘on trend’ modern unit trains and they have big windows – don’t worry about the lack of official ‘panoramic’ windows as these are arguably overhyped across Switzerland – It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

In any case on the Brünig route you are not really in the high Alps – lots of the views are below the train (of lakes and valleys) and there is quite a bit of forest

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 3:45:52 #907336

Thank you again, this is becoming much clearer now. So glad I have the forum and these great answers to what must seem to you like very basic questions. I feel like I’m getting a much clearer understanding of all of my questions which I hope will result in me spending more time enjoying the area while I’m there and not wasting time trying to figure how to enjoy the area while I’m there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 5:14:11 #907337

Hello Ruby,

Nice to hear your getting your questions answered on the forum!

You can also consider just searching Lucerne – Mürren – via Interlaken Ost, which will provide you with the trains you’re looking for. Zurich – Lucerne is just below an hour and a fairly regular connection.

You can also follow the “full timetable ” button in our advanced timetable section, then go to “advanced search” and then you can +add via, as many as you like.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You could also consider a short stop in Lucerne on the way, it’s beautiful city and lots of the beauty is within minutes of the train station. Just an idea, however! 🙂
    http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Best,
    Steph

Also check:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
    http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken
    http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 19:02:42 #907338

Hi all,

Not sure if it helps but just to add that I am planning a similar route except ending in Wengen and the way I have been entering it on SBB site is from Zurich to Interlaken OST via Luzern and it gives both routes via Bern but also the direct route via Luzern, so then you can just select which one you want. I haven’t entered further destination to Wengen yet but I’m sure that would be straightforward.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 20:31:25 #907339

I just remembered why the website might only be showing route through Bern – I think maybe there is still work going on on the line as advised previously through this forum so there is a detour and part of the trip is by bus which is shown on SBB too. I’m not sure when this ends but if you search dates later in the year, it is back to normal.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2019 at 20:40:02 #907340

The construction work between Luzern and Alpnachstad requiring the bus detour is schedule to finish on 15 May.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 9:53:12 #907341

Hi all,

I think the bus-detour via Alpnachstad on the route Lucerne – Interlaken Ost ends on the 15th of APRIL, not May!

Check the timetable:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 9:56:37 #907342

15 April, yes. My bad. 😞

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 10:02:58 #907343

Not at all Rockyster, much rather – we together good 🙂

• The thread ‘Zurich to Murren via Lucerne & Interlaken Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.