Zurich to Rhine falls with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 18:10:51 #814895

Can i use the travel pass to do a round trip zurich to rhine falls? Is it worth it if i only have one day in Zurich?

If its worthit- what is the best route so that i would still have half a day left to see zurich.

What is the “young adult” place to be at night in zurich.

or should i spend the day seeing all the zurich sights? Any MUST do’s?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 March 2018 at 18:49:01 #879420

Hi Lisadee,

Yes, no problem, the Swiss Travel Pass covers all of Switzerland for free (mountain trips discounted). A detailed map can be downloaded here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

You can read all about the fall on http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls, to see if it is of interest to you. The Route tab of that page explains how to get there.

All about Zurich and activities there can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich. I don’t know much about young adult places. It also depends on interests I guess, but this might be an option: http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/attractions/zurich-west. Others may have other suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:47:19 #879421

Hi Lisa,

I can help with restaurants or the odd bar I suppose – but not dance clubs if that is what you mean by young adult?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 14:37:54 #879422

I meant… where the young people hang out. Maybe they can come home married and someone else can do all this from now on. LOL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 14:55:37 #879423

Hi Arno. Im trying to convince them to take the 8 day pass for the 6 days they are there. They may not take the train on two of the day but if they use their 4 day pass for the bus, boats, etc— it would count against them. Since they have to pay like $70.00 from the italian train and then the passes and all the room nights and they heard food is every expensive in Swiss- they are getting worried about their budgets. lol. So i would like to know.

#1 / Is there something i can supplement with for 2 days that would just cover boats, cogs, buses etc?

#2/ or if i can narrow down what they would really like to do on the 2 extra days maybe i can price out those things. How can I find out what a boat ride cost, a cog ride, ….a bus ride… etc.

#3/ or maybe they can use the travelpass only on the “big to do” days and they can purchase single train tickets? for example:

JUNE 13- THIS DAY must they use their Travelpass? when they are leaving grindewald to Interlaken (that train cost is cheap i think? – i entered it here but it doesnt show a price.) http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml – which is fine. They will hang out half a day at Interlaken , then they will head to Lucerne to checkin to their hostel. it may be very late afternoon when they arrive- so can they just buy a train ticket from interlaken to Lucerne? because they probably wont be doing much that day other than walking around.

JUNE 16- OR can they save a day here? On this morning- they will checkout and go to Zurich for their last day. They will probably spend the day roaming the city. No need for train travel anymore because their hotel will have an airport shuttle.

any ideas? I saw other passes but i was confused. some say you must have a half card or something.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 17:10:30 #879424

Hi Lisa,

1. No, just point to point tickets for what they may want to do. They should plan out all their days now and decide what they will do before buying any rail pass
    2. Use the SBB timetable. It gives you the Swiss Half Fare price so you need to double it to get the regular fare
    3. Yes, good idea

If you are searching for a date too far in the future and you don’t get a price search for the same day and time on an earlier date – prices don’t change. Grindelwald to Lucerne is about 25chf. I wouldn’t bother stopping in Interlaken – mostly not very interesting. They should go straight to Lucerne. If that was their only travel that day (no other trains, cable cars, boats) then it would be a bit of a waste of a rail pass yes.

You need to find prices for all planned trips and compare that to the rail pass cost. They need to be spending at least 50chf per day for buying a Swiss Travel Passes or Swiss Travel Pass Flex (typically). Or at least averaging that…maybe 1 day is 30chf and the next is 80 etc….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 17:27:38 #879425

ok. im getting closer. Thanks. I will price all that out today.

Eurail option: eurail tickets cover all the trains from italy to end of trip right? they have a special promo 5+1 -that would cover all days using the train. must purchase by end of march

Question: if we get that, how do i deal with the boats, buses, cogs, lifts, etc? any ideas? are they expensive? i havent been able to figure out how to know their average cost? is there any thing i can add to this ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 19:01:26 #879426

You’re looking at the Eurail Select Pass for your trip? It will cover all major routes between cities – see the PDF map here.

If the Eurail Select Pass doesn’t fully cover a boat or cable car etc. (that is you must buy a ticket at the regular price or at a discounted price) you can find the prices with the Swiss railways timetable. It works for any route in Switzerland. Just input the to and from towns or stations and it will give you a price for it (again the 1/2 fare price though).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 20:34:40 #879427

would the summer TELL PASS (central Swiss) cover their transportation from Interlaken to Lucerne and then they can use all the transportation for their 2 days in Lucerne.

Eurail pass- 4 + 1DAY (not sure if buses, cogs and boats are included) – i saw conflicting info on different sites

PLUS 2day TELL PASS (For the two full days in Lucerne)

Does this cover the train from Interlaken to Lucern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 20:52:39 #879428
    • The routes covered by the Eurail pass are explained on the PDF map on my last link. There is only 1 bus route covered as you’ll see on the map, and a few boat rides. 🙂
    • The coverage are for the Tell Pass can be found on our web page on the Tell Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass Interlaken to Lucerne is covered yes.
    • We have a list of all rail passes you can use in Switzerland on our website noted here for further comparisons.
  • The thread ‘Zurich to Rhine falls with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.