Zurich to St. Moritz via rail questions

Zurich to St. Moritz via rail questions

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Megally
Megally
3 posts
Jan 4, 2018 - 5:57 PM

Hi everyone!

Second post here, my earlier thread got closed I'm guessing due to inactivity.

My previous post was: What is the most scenic route to get to St. Moritz from Zurich?

My new post is: What is the better/more scenic expedited rail route to St. Moritz from Zurich?

We have decided that a 6 hour train ride after a long flight is too much and we want to get up to St. Moritz as soon as possible. On the SBB site the only two options I see are:

1. Direction Geneve Airport (stopping in Zurich HB and Chur)

2. Direction Luzern (stopping in Zurich HB and Landquart)

Are these recommended routes, will this give us some scenery on the trip? Are there other routes I am not seeing?

Lastly, we will be shipping luggage ahead as we will have a lot between ski clothes and all of the wifes clothes! I was guessing we will need Express Door-toDoor Flight service?

I have got so many great tips already and you've all been a great help!

Thanks in advance

The Megallys

rockoyster
rockoyster
3388 posts
expert
Jan 4, 2018 - 9:45 PM in reply to Megally

Both routes are scenic. Route 1 is 20 minutes slower but will take you via Filisur and follows the classic Glacier Express/Bernina Express route between Chur and St Moritz.

Go one way and come back the other perhaps.

Last modified on Jan 4, 2018 - 9:46 PM by rockoyster
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4489 posts
expert
Jan 4, 2018 - 11:05 PM in reply to Megally

Hi Megally-

<<"1. Direction Geneve Airport (stopping in Zurich HB and Chur)

2. Direction Luzern (stopping in Zurich HB and Landquart)">>

That merely indiates the final destination of the train that you board at the airport, in order to give a sense of direction. That does not mean that you will go through Luzern, but, more likely, you will simply ride a train that goes to Luzern, but you get off at Zürich HBf and change to a train that goes to Chur...and onward.

The SBB time table defaults to the fastest route(s). If you want to force it a particular route, use the "via" boxes in the Advanced timetable:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

To understand them, use this map and zoom in as I have chosen to see the rail lines. Zoom out for the big picture;-)

map.search.ch/?pos=787784,155128&z=32

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jan 4, 2018 - 11:09 PM by Slowpoke
rockoyster
rockoyster
3388 posts
expert
Jan 5, 2018 - 2:10 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Good point Slowpoke. See attached Megally.

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
5603 posts
expert &
Jan 5, 2018 - 6:32 AM in reply to Megally

I'm of the point that all routes in Switzerland are scenic unless you are going through the Gotthard Tunnel!
I agree with Rockoyster - go up one way and back the other so you see a little more of Switzerland. :)

As for luggage, you can use the express service certainly for your ski gear etc. Read more about your luggage options here.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018