How to book Zurich to Tirano via Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 21:14:08 #811010

Hi,

So iam trying to find the easiest route to get from Zurich to Tirano Return but cant seem to get efficient train details for the Tirano – Chur leg on the Internet. So What i do know : –

18th March – Zurich – Chur – Bernina Express -Tirano

What i Dont know is the following : –

18th March – Tirano – Zurich : whats the best way to do this leg and how to book this? Trying to also find the most cost effective solution for this leg.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 March 2017 at 14:23:00 #859799

Hi JassMo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Is this the only trip in Switzerland you intend to make? Will you have a rail pass? Do you want to take a different route back to Zurich for variation? Or just the quickest way back?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 14:47:52 #859800

Hi Arno, Thanks for getting back to me.

I will only be in Switzerland for 3 days (Arrive 17th – Leave 19th) so for now this is the only trip i plan on making.

On the rail pass would you recommend it? Cost vs benefit for a short trip, is it worth it? I was not planning on getting one but let me know your thoughts.

Re going back to Zurich from Tirano I am open to ideas/suggestions. But need to be back in Zurich by 11pm on the 18th.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 March 2017 at 15:31:51 #859801

Hi JassMo,

Well, a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass may make sense. It costs CHF 216. A regular ticket from Zurich to Tirano and back would be CHF 186. So for a bit more you could have unlimited traveling on trains, buses, boats and even some cable cars as indicated on the map. With a Swiss Travel Pass you do not need further tickets, apart from a seat reservation if you plan to be on the actual Bernina Express. You don’t need that for any of the regular trains on the same route.

I’d recommend to read this page, it allows you to do the math and pick the cheapest pass.

Regarding the route, there are many options:

• Tirano – Reichenau/Tamins – Andermatt – Flüelen – Lucerne – Zurich. This includes part of the Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express routes;
    • Tirano – Pontresina – Sagliains – Landquart – Zurich;
    • Tirano – Monza/Milan – Lugano – Gotthard Panorama Express route.
    Yamini
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 March 2017 at 21:04:13 #859802

Hello,

THis information is really helpful.

I would like to purchase Swiss Travel pass for 3 days.

My travel days are 11 to 13 march 2017.

How can I buy this pass?

Could you please suggest.

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 March 2017 at 21:40:46 #859803

Welcome to MySwissAlps Yamini!

All purchase options are listed on the Swiss Travel Pass page. Unfortunately you’re too late to buy it online and print it at home, so you will have to buy it on a staffed train station in Switzerland.

Have a good trip!

Yamini
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 March 2017 at 22:00:02 #859804

Hello Arno,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It means I can buy the ticket from any train station on same day in Zurich or Lucerne. And it will be valid .Correct?

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 6:41:20 #859805

Hi Yamini,

Yes you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass at the Zurich or Luzern (local German spelling) train stations when you are here.

Lucas

Yamini
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 March 2017 at 8:29:25 #859806

Thanks Lucas😃

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 8:36:32 #859807

Hi Arno

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

Mo

• The thread ‘How to book Zurich to Tirano via Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.