Zurich to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2011 at 4:01:49 #804093

Hi There,

I am flying into Zurich on the 31st, and am planning to spend 6 days in Zermatt skiing.

I have been on the website http://gemut.raileurope.com and see that this train journey is what I am planning.

TRN Autres 820 11:02AM
    Zuerich HB,
    Switzerland
    31 Jan 1:02PM
    Visp,
    Switzerland
    31 Jan 2hr 0min 1

CONNECTING TRAIN TRN Autres 241
    2:10PM
    Visp,
    Switzerland
    31 Jan 3:14PM
    Zermatt,
    Switzerland
    31 Jan
    Can i confirm whether the Swiss Half Fare Card can be used in booking this train ticket ?

Can the card be used online ?

Is it advisable to pre-book this ticket online? Is this peak travel season for travel to Zermatt ?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 January 2011 at 5:37:51 #832102

Hi jeremy2010,

Welcome to this website! Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card can be used to purchase a 50% discounted ticket for your trip. Please be sure to look into the Swiss Transfer Ticket as well. Depending on your other travel plans from Zermatt, that might be a cheaper option.

Both tickets can be purchased online through the links I provided (select your country of residence on those pages to proceed). In case of the Swiss Transfer Ticket, you’re set to go. In case of the Swiss Half Fare Card, you also need a discounted ticket Zurich – Zermatt, which can be purchased through the timetable or at the station in Zurich.

The timetable can also be used to review the train journey you’ve picked. There are better connections that do not require you to spend over an hour at the Visp rail station. For example:

Zurich airport: 11.40 am
    Visp: 2.02 pm
    Change trains
    Visp: 2.10 pm
    Zermatt 3:14 pm

It is indeed peak season in Zermatt, but booking seats will not be necessary.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2011 at 18:08:58 #832103

Hi Arno, Thanks for the useful information!

• The thread ‘Zurich to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.