Zurich trains and the Zurich airport (Kloten)

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Sep 7, 2017 - 9:28 PM

My son and I will be traveling to Zurich from Lucerne on Oct. 27 (Friday), arriving around early afternoon. On Saturday, we fly out of the airport back to the US at 10 am. We’ll each have a Swiss Rail Pass, so using the train as described below will not add to the expenses. We’re hoping to spend a little time in downtown Zurich to sightsee and eat. I see two choices in the hotel logistics.

1) Hotel near the the main train station downtown where we can sightsee and take train Saturday morning to the airport. (Or hotel shuttle if there is one) I’m looking for hotels very close to the main train station.

2) Hotel near the airport. We’ll put our luggage in our room and take the hotel shuttle to the airport station, then a train back to the main station downtown to sightsee and have dinner. Then take train back to airport and get back to the hotel using it’s shuttle. On Saturday we take the hotel shuttle to airport.

Option 1 is much simpler, but then we have to be sure to make it to the airport in time for the airplane. (Perhaps the hotel in town also provides a (free) shuttle to the airport). My concern is a train delay (if they ever exist!) on way to the airport.

Questions:

- for a 10 am international plane, how much time before the flight should we be at the airport?

- If staying at an airport hotel, we could take some form of transportation other than train to go downtown. What is the best form of transportation for this?

- What’s the collective preference for the logistics? Option 1 or 2?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Sep 8, 2017 - 1:54 AM in reply to pvonk

We just returned from Switzerland. We booked our last night at the Holiday Inn Express in Rümlang (or Ruemlang), because it had a free shuttle to the airport (10 minutes), included breakfast (starts at 4:00 AM), and was inexpensive (for Switzerland). We took the train from Lucerne to Zurich HD and transferred to a local train that stopped in Rümlang. You can see the hotel on your right just before you arrive at the station. It was then a 5 minute walk to the hotel - go down the ramp from the tracks, turn right at the bottom (left goes to the station), then walk to the main road, turn right, and go one block. There were arrows that said "Hotels" at the bottom of the ramp and at the main road.

Then to go back to Zurich, just walk back to the train station. There are several trains each hour and the trip takes 15 minutes.

When we asked at the hotel, they said to be at the airport two hours ahead. We went earlier as we were unable to check in on-line. You might want to check with the airline or your travel agent before you leave home.

Mvmomcat
Mvmomcat
43 posts
Sep 8, 2017 - 4:28 AM

We were also in Switzerland this summer and stayed our last night at the Hotel Flyaway in Kloten. Just a 2 minute walk from the train station to the hotel and a free shuttle to the airport in the morning.

Lucas
Lucas
9566 posts
expert &
Sep 8, 2017 - 12:53 PM in reply to pvonk

Hi Pvonk,

You can very easily get from downtown Zurich by train to the airport if you like. Most hotels in Zurich don't offer hotel shuttles (because the trains are so convenient).

That being said, you can also stay at an airport hotel and train into Zurich to explore and use their shuttle service to the airport the next morning - whichever you prefer. I would lean to staying in Zurich itself though - much more convenient to explore the town.

Use the timetable here to plan out your train trip. I would arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight. You'll find there are many train per hour going to the airport (10-15 minute trip on most trains). There is very rarely any train issues and if there was you'll find another train will go to the airport 10 or 12 minutes later.

We have a list of Zurich hotels (with a note on how long a walk they are to the train station) here.

Lucas

Last modified on Sep 8, 2017 - 12:56 PM by Lucas
pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Sep 8, 2017 - 2:07 PM in reply to Removed user

Is the train from downtown Zurich to Ruemlang free if using the Swiss Rail Pass?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Sep 8, 2017 - 3:38 PM in reply to pvonk

Yes, the train to Rümlang is free with your Swiss Travel Pass.

pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Sep 8, 2017 - 3:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Lucas
Lucas
9566 posts
expert &
Sep 9, 2017 - 12:05 AM in reply to pvonk

Almost all trains, buses and boats are covered in Switzerland with the Swiss Travel Pass - you can see a PDF map and list of major attractions covered here.

pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Sep 9, 2017 - 12:56 AM in reply to Lucas

Yes, I looked at the PDF map, but it doesn't zoom in far enough in the Zurich area to see which train lines are covered by the pass. But I have resolved my question. I decided to take the hotel in Zurich and take the train to the airport as you suggested.

Lucas
Lucas
9566 posts
expert &
Sep 9, 2017 - 2:37 PM in reply to pvonk

You should be able to see see a red line from Zurich to Zurich Flughafen (and the picture of the plane) which shows the airport and a red line connecting them.

Red lines indicate free trains on the Swiss Travel Pass (it basically covers all of Switzerland as you can see) and yellow are bus free bus routes, white are free boats and black is free cable cars.

I think a Zurich hotel is the right call for you. Enjoy your trip!

Lucas

Last modified on Sep 9, 2017 - 8:55 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018