Sep 7, 2017 - 9:28 PM
My son and I will be traveling to Zurich from Lucerne on Oct. 27 (Friday), arriving around early afternoon. On Saturday, we fly out of the airport back to the US at 10 am. We’ll each have a Swiss Rail Pass, so using the train as described below will not add to the expenses. We’re hoping to spend a little time in downtown Zurich to sightsee and eat. I see two choices in the hotel logistics.
1) Hotel near the the main train station downtown where we can sightsee and take train Saturday morning to the airport. (Or hotel shuttle if there is one) I’m looking for hotels very close to the main train station.
2) Hotel near the airport. We’ll put our luggage in our room and take the hotel shuttle to the airport station, then a train back to the main station downtown to sightsee and have dinner. Then take train back to airport and get back to the hotel using it’s shuttle. On Saturday we take the hotel shuttle to airport.
Option 1 is much simpler, but then we have to be sure to make it to the airport in time for the airplane. (Perhaps the hotel in town also provides a (free) shuttle to the airport). My concern is a train delay (if they ever exist!) on way to the airport.
- for a 10 am international plane, how much time before the flight should we be at the airport?
- If staying at an airport hotel, we could take some form of transportation other than train to go downtown. What is the best form of transportation for this?
- What’s the collective preference for the logistics? Option 1 or 2?