Zürich vs Basel for a day trip in Summer

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Miguel Sousa
Miguel Sousa
51 posts
Apr 8, 2019 - 9:13 AM

Hi,

I'm going to Switzerland this summer, and after staying in Grindelwald and Lucerne I'm going to catch the plane in Zürich at night.

Because of that, I'm planning to spend my last day doing a day trip in Zürich or Basel. Which city do you think is better for a day trip?

Thanks in advance.

Steph
Steph
1984 posts
top member &
Apr 8, 2019 - 9:33 AM in reply to Miguel Sousa

Hi Miguel Sousa,

Both places have their beauty and things to see and do. Preferences here are very personal. Get some inspiration about the places and the available activities here:
- www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/activities
- www.myswissalps.com/ba sel/activities

To find out about travelling times for whichever destination you end up choosing use our timetable, as having limited time available might limit your choice a little.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also check:
- www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Apr 8, 2019 - 9:35 AM by Steph
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6880 posts
expert
Apr 8, 2019 - 7:34 PM in reply to Miguel Sousa

Hi Mike -

Apart from the fact that Zürich is my favorite city in Switzerland (that is, if you do not consider proximity to surrounding scenic features as at Luzern), I think it is better to be close to the airport if you are leaving that evening.

In my opinion, the variety and size of the old towns in Zürich is a plus for Zürich. Basel is a city of impressive art museums, but Zürich has a few good one's too.

But, it's all personal.

Slowpoke

Miguel Sousa
Miguel Sousa
51 posts
Apr 12, 2019 - 3:15 PM

Thank you very much! I'll spend my day in Zürich, then.

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019