Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Zurich / Zermatt / Interlaken rail travel with kid

Zurich / Zermatt / Interlaken rail travel with kid

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
HoosierDale
HoosierDale
1 post
Jan 13, 2020 - 12:57 PM

Hi:

Hoping to get some suggestions from the group here. My wife and I will be traveling at the end of August.

We are flying into Zurich then taking a train to Zermatt for a few days and then a train to Interlaken for a few days and then back to Zurich. Does anyone have any specific suggestions or things to watch out for as we book our train? Our children are 7 and 10.

Thank you,

Steph
Steph
2108 posts
top member &
Jan 13, 2020 - 2:23 PM in reply to HoosierDale

Hello HoosierDale and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're coming to Switzerland with your family.

First thing first, I think either the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card might be of interest for you, as they both allow you to get the Swiss Family Card, which allows your children to travel for free with you on any trip. Find details on the three mentioned passes below:
- www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass
- www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard
- www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard

However, the best choice of pass depends strongly on your detailed itinerary.
For detailed calculations of the best option, you can use the spreadsheet provided below:
- www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Travelling by train in Switzerland is very simple, see below link for details:
- www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

The timetable below will allow you to find out about connections and travelling times. Make sure you get familiar with how it works, it's a fabulous tool for planning any trip in Switzerland:
- www.myswissalps.com/timetable

I hope this gives you some helpful input. Should you have more questions after going through the links we're here anytime to answer them.

Happy planning.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jan 13, 2020 - 2:24 PM by Steph
rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 13, 2020 - 8:20 PM in reply to HoosierDale

I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

Zürich to Zermatt select the most direct route. Zermatt to Interlaken go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the BLS Regio-Express Lötschberger (www.myswitzerland.com/en-au/experiences/bls-regioexpress-loetschberger/)train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster more direct but less scenic route between Visp and Spiez incorporates the lengthy (in distance) but shorter (in time) Lötschberg Base Tunnel(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lötschberg_Base_Tunnel).

Interlaken to Zurich go via Meiringen and Luzern on the Golden Pass route (www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass).

Last modified on Jan 13, 2020 - 8:22 PM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020