Zurich ZVV 24-hour ticket, interpreting zone map

• Duane_loh
    Participant
    2 posts
    30 September 2022 at 12:18:17 #828455

I am super confused on how the Zurich Zone map works with the 24 hrs ticket and would greatly appreciate if someone can clarify some of the questions I have below:

Does the zone coverage starts at the time of the purchase or it starts for each trip? For example, I arrive at Zurich Airport and need to travel to Zurich City Center first to goto the hotel, I understand city center belongs to zone 110 which counts as 2 zones, so I will need a 3 zone ticket to cover the trip from the Airport (zone 121) to the city. After settling in the hotel, if I wish to goto Lindt Home of Chocolate, can I use the same 3 zone 24 hrs ticket to travel from the city center (zone 110) to Kilchberg (zone 150) or do I need a 4 zones ticket because the 3 zone ticket already cover 121?

After my visit to Lindt Home of Chocolate, if I wish to goto Uetliberg lookout tower, do I need a 5 zones ticket that covers from Kichberg (zone150) to city center (zone 110) then from city center (zone 110) to Uetliberg (zone 154/155), or 6 zones that include the airport zone?

If I only buy a 3 zones tickets at the airport and found it I need 4 or 5 or 6 later, can I add more zone to the existing 24 hrs ticket?

Thanks,

Duane

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    30 September 2022 at 18:04:14 #947484

Hi Duane,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

With a ZVV 24h-ticket, you can travel within specified zones for 24 hours. The ticket is valid for 24 hours from your selected time of departure or the time you purchase the ticket.

If you’re planning to visit the Lindt & Sprungli Visitor Centre in Kilchberg after checking in at your hotel in Zurich city, you can buy a 4-zone ticket directly from the SBB or ZVV app or from the Zurich Airport train station. You can use the same ticket to travel to Zurich city then to Kilchberg and back to Zurich City or the airport within a period of 24 hours. If you also plan to make a trip to Uetliberg on the same day, I recommend getting the 24-h Albis Pass which covers 6 zones, and will allow you travel freely within these zones for a period of 24 hours.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Zurich Card that allows free public transport throughout the city as well. You can find the link here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/travel

Hope this eases your confusion.

Regards,

Anna

Duane_loh
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 October 2022 at 12:00:42 #947485

Thanks Anna for the clarification. It helps a lot.

Regards,

Duane

• The thread ‘Zurich ZVV 24-hour ticket, interpreting zone map’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.