Zuzwil to Rhine fall and Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 12:33:12 #814317

Hi

I am planning to reach Zurich by Train from Paris on 12th May 18 in the afternoon at around 2.30 pm.I have already booked accommodation for 1 night at Zuzwil and 4 nights at Wolhusen.

I need guidance on below.

I want to visit Rhine fall ,is it convenient to visit from Zuzwil ?

Should I plan like

Zuzwil to Rhine fall ?How far it is?

Is it possible to visit Rhine fall on same day night? I heard illumination at night at Rhine fall.Is it safe to travel from Zuzwil to Rhine fall and return to Zuzwil at late night?Is it safe? Public transport available at night?

Or next day ,Is it possible to cover Rhine fall in half day from Zuzwil or is it a full day trip?

Can I visit Rhine fall by early leaving from Zuzwil then Visit Zurich city and then travel to Wolhusen.Will I be able to reach Wolhusen till evening with this? Mode of Transport and approximate timing for above trip for each leg?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Kiran

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 15:10:34 #876033

Hi Kiran,

Yes you can visit the RheinFall from Zuzwil – It is about 1.5 hours each way and there are plenty of options to return at night. You can search for the train options on the Swiss railways timetable here.
    I personally think the public transit system is very safe here yes.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 23:27:26 #876034

Hello Kiran,

There is a Zuzwil near St Gallen and another one near Bern. Presume you mean the one near St Gallen?

Zuzwil and Wolhusen are not place names that crop up very often on this forum. I am curious to know what attracted you to these locations. 🧐

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 1:31:14 #876035

Hi Rockoyster,

Yes it is Zuzwil St Galken.

It is availability if accommodation on my dates and in my budget attracted me to Zuzwil and wolhusen.

Hope these places are safe to stay and well connected.

Regards

Kiran

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2018 at 2:12:17 #876036

Hi Kiran,

I’m sure they will be safe. Everywhere in Switzerland is pretty safe I’d say.

They wouldn’t be in the top 10 connected locations but most places in Switzerland are connected by some form of public transport.

The nearest station to Zulwil is at Wil. You’ll need to take a bus from Wil to Zulwil.

The trip to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall is slightly quicker than to Neuhausen Rheinfall.

Do you have much luggage to worry about? That may dictate how easy various permutations of visits to Rheinfall are for you. If luggage is not an issue you could easily go from Zulwil to Rheinfall spend a couple of hours there and be in Zurich by lunch time. So no problem having a look around Zurich and reaching Wolhusen late in the day. The timetable Lucas pointed you to will help you figure out the best plan.

What other experiences are you seeking to enjoy during your Swiss visit? The fine old city of St Gallen (http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/destinations/region s/st-gallen.html) would be well worth a look while you are over that part of Switzerland. Just for information from St Gallen you can take the Voralpen Express to Lucerne and on to Wolhusen.

Do you have some sort of travel pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 4:30:12 #876037

Thanks Rockoyster for the information.

We definitely have luggage with us. We are a family of 5 including my bit old mother in law 64 years old.

In such case should I travel from Zuzwil to Rhine fall without carrying luggage and then come back to Zuzwil ,pick up luggage and then travel to Zurich for balance half day to spend in Zurich and then finally to Wolhusen?

Or

I will have to carry entire luggage right from morning to Rhine fall then Zurich and Wolhusen.

I am asking to avoid to and fro travel. How are Zuzwil ,Rhine fall and Zurich placed?

Yes I am planning to buy 4 day Swiss pass for all of us.Hope it will be economical to buy Swiss pass as I will travel from Zuzwil to Zuricj , Wolhusen on day 1 and for Balance 3 days Wolhusen to mount titlis ,Mount Jungfrau and Bern one location each day.Please confirm ,Swiss Travel pass is most economical option with such travel plan

Thanks

Kiran

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2018 at 5:12:27 #876038

Hi Kiran,

As an older person myself I’m glad you said 64 is only a “bit old”. 👴🏻

Luggage could be an issue at Rheinfall. I don’t believe there are luggage storage facilities at Neuhausen or Schloss Laufen stations. However you will go via Winterthur which is a major transport hub and has luggage lockers there. You can leave you luggage there and collect on your way back from Rheinfall to Zurich. Although that will mean a detour from the most direct route between Rheinfall and Zurich but at least you don’t need to go all the way back to Zuzwil.

I can’t say if the Swiss Travel Pass is your best option. Before you can know for sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Do you have children in your party? If so the Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) will help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 5:25:33 #876039

Hi Rockoyster,

I believe age us just a number ,one need to be young at heart.I guess you are very young that way 👍

Thanks for all the details .Such details really provide comfort and confidence to foreigners like me who hate to spend exorbitant price of tour operators.

I will use all your suggestions and time table to plan my trip in most economical way without missing any important locations.

I will revert to you in case I need any more information.

Thanks again for your great help

Regards

Kiran

• The thread ‘Zuzwil to Rhine fall and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.