ZVV public transport system in Zurich

• Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 August 2022 at 8:32:02 #828207

Hi,

We intend to visit Zurich in a few weeks time. We are going to stay in a hotel in which we have previously stayed, in Oerlikon (a very easy walk from Oerlikon SBB station) and go on day trips to various places, including, Zug, Luzern, Bern, Thun, Konstanz, Aarburg. We will be using a Swiss Travel pass.

I have some questions about local public transit in Zurich. I have done some Googling and I see that the ZVV system is the local tansit system in Zurich. We prefer physical paper tickets to phone e-passes etc.

I see that the ZVV works on a zone basis where the airport is zone 121 and Zurich HB and Zurich oerlikon are in zone 110 which counts as two zones.

On the day of arrival then I think we would need a three zone ticket to get from the airport train station (underneath the airport) to Zurich Oerlikon? Where would we buy such a ticket and would we need cash or credit card for this? I think we could buy a one day ticket also, that we could use later in the day to travel around Zurich and maybe go on a boat down the River Limmat and onto the Lake?

It seems that we could use a ZVV ticket to travel to Zug which is in zone 610 – which seems to be, maybe 6 zones from zone 110 although it is difficult to see on the map? This would mean we wouldn’t need to use the Swiss travel pass on that day so could rearrange our plans and buy a shorter STP. Is this correct?

Is the above correct? I have quite a few questions, but will maybe come back with more later, if that is OK? I have had some great help on this forum so far. The Swiss transport system is amazing but takes some learning. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    29 August 2022 at 13:01:58 #946179

Hi Dave689,

Your understanding of the ZVV zone system is correct. If you buy a return ticket for 3 zones, you can use this ticket to travel within the 3 zones all day up to 5am the next day. If the ticket includes Zone 110, you can use it on the boat (Limmat Cruise). Similarly you can purchase a ticket to Zug this way. For further details on how to get around in Zurich: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/travel

Zurich Airport has its own train station located underground. You can purchase the train tickets at the ticket machine or from the ticket counter. You can pay by credit card and also cash.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more info.

Regards.

Anna

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 August 2022 at 18:16:07 #946180

Thank you.

While staying near Zurich Oerlikon if we decided to get a ticket to go eg on a boat trip down the Limmat or a day trip to Zug on the train is there a counter we could go to to ask about which type of ticket to buy and could we then pay with cash (paper money)? Is the ticket a physical ticket, a piece of cardboard? Sorry for all the questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2022 at 18:46:19 #946181

YOu can still (for how many more years?…) buy tickets for all Swiss public transport on standard ticket machines. At all railway stations such as Zurich Oerlikon you will find the standard Swiss ticket machine which still issue paper tickets (I still prefer them…).

All the information you need should be findable here: http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/home.html

The river boats are an integral part of ZVV

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 August 2022 at 19:16:56 #946182

Thank you. I don’t think the machines take paper money do they, just coins or cards – is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2022 at 19:37:56 #946183

They take all sort of money, including bills. The ticket is a paper ticket.

You do not have to be a ticket expert, you simply buy a ticket from Zurich airport to Zurich Oerlikon (enter the start/end point) and it will have the right zones on the ticket. No need to count zones. Note: If you buy a ZVV return ticket, it is valid 24 hours (not till 5 AM) and entitles you to unlimited travel within zones 121 and 110. It is not valid on the lake apart from Limmat boats.

If you buy a ticket to Zug, it will not be a ZVV ticket yet a Z-PASS ticket. This because Zug is not part of the ZVV fare network, yet part of Tarifverbund Zug. The Z-PASS links the two fare networks BUT (!) Z-PASS return tickets are not valid 24 hours yet till 5 AM the next day.

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 August 2022 at 19:40:17 #946184

Thank you. I’m glad I won’t have to be a ticket expert!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2022 at 19:45:55 #946185

If you get a ticket, you might be confused that it reads the start/end point of your trip while it is valid in all zones mentioned on the ticket, not only on the mentioned route.

The routing was added upon customer request; many travelers were confused and wondered if they bought the right ticket because the ticket only contained zones. The chosen routing has been added for a better understanding of the ticket.

Also, at Zurich Airport the ticket counters no longer exist. SBB has recently opened a travel centre at the same location.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2022 at 21:59:09 #946186

There are a number of videos showing how to use the ticket machines,

here is one:

http://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2019/05/how-to-use-train-ticket-machines-in-switzerland-a-short-and-simple-guide/

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 September 2022 at 8:02:52 #946187

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your helpful posts. Trainliner, you said that the ticket machines take paper notes. However, I see that here http://www.zvv.ch/zvv-assets/bestellung/2235_tickets_und_preise_e_19_web.pdf at the bottom of page 38, under “Ticket Machines” it says “Payment can be made with credit and debit cards and coins. Banknotes are not accepted due to security reasons. ” ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 8:54:24 #946188

You are refering to ZVV ticket machines available at tramway and bus stops in Zürich.

However,I was talking about the SBB ticket machines at stations as you previously mentioned Zurich Airport and Zurich Oerlikon. SBB ticket machines can issue ZVV tickets, too, and automatically do so when the selected route was within the ZVV network.

You must know that Switzerland has an integrated ticket system. Although services are operated by different bus and train companies, the ticket system is one and the same for all. This makes our public transport so successful as you can buy a ticket anywhere, the price for your ticket will always be the same (with very few exceptions). No need to buy seperate tickets for different operators.

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 September 2022 at 8:57:56 #946189

Thank you for your patient explanation 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 9:11:26 #946190

Hi Dave689,

In case you would like to read more about the Swiss train system, please check this one: How to travel by Swiss rail?

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Must knows about the Swiss timetable

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 September 2022 at 9:17:59 #946191

So, for instance, if we fancied a day trip from our base in Zurich Oerlikon, to Einsiedln, on a day that was not covered by the STP, how would we go about that ticket wise? And would what we buy include local trams in Einsiedln?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 9:59:09 #946192

You would need a separate point to point ticket. Einsiedeln is outside the ZVV area.

Also there are no trams in Einsiedeln, as it is a small town, but there are a small number of local bus routes and regional post bus routes also serve the outlying places around Einsiedeln

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 10:10:43 #946193

You will have to choose From Zuerich Oerlikon To Einsiedeln, one way and return. Einsiedeln is not part of ZVV network yet Z-PASS.

You will get in return a ZVV Z-PASS ticket with zones, you can use this ticket in all zones back and forth, including local buses, valid till 5 AM the next day. Same logic as you would travel to Zug, see my previous reply.

See the Z-PASS zone map here:

http://www.zpass.ch/dam/zpass/Zonenpläne/2020/2295_ZPass_A3_Korridor_SZZG_dez_20_web.pdf

To travel to Einsiedeln, go by S8 to Wädenswil and change trains there to Einsiedeln.

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 September 2022 at 10:13:39 #946194

Thank you.

Einsiedeln is not listed here http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/timetable/network-maps/regional-networks.html

is that how I would tell that it is not in the ZVV region so would need to buy a point to point ticket?

We plan to maybe visit Bremgarten, Lenzburg, Rheinfelden, and Arbon so I will similarly look them up. I see that they all have either a Migros or Coop restaurant – we like having affordable lunches in Coop or Migros restaurants when on day trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 10:22:37 #946195

You do not have to care what type of ticket you have to buy. You ALWAYS enter From …. To …. . It is the machine’s job to issue the right ticket.

Is your journey within ZVV, you get a ZVV ticket, valid 24hrs, if return was selected.

Is your journey within Z-PASS, you get a Z-PASS ticket, valid until 5 AM the next day, if return was selected.

Goes your journey outside Z-PASS, you get a national ticket, valid until 5 AM the next day, if return was selected.

Dave689
    Participant
    16 posts
    8 September 2022 at 10:24:54 #946196

Thank you.

I do seem to be overthinking it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 14:01:05 #946197

Yes, for travel across tariff networks – always try and find the zonal map.

Einsiedeln is indeed in the large ‘Z-Pass’ network, which is a combination of ZVV and other neighbouring tariff areas. So if you want to travel further beyond Zurich you can buy tickets under that tariff area, ie here:

http://www.z-pass.ch/zpass/en/travelcards-and-tickets.html

• The thread ‘ZVV public transport system in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.