Bern to Zweisimmen to Montreux & on to Annecy

• Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 August 2018 at 4:27:17 #817923

Hi All.

Thanks for all the help on my previous posts.

I have booked a reservation on the golden pass from Zweisimmen to Montreux. However we need to get from Bern to Zweisimmen. I have looked on SBB and it shows a direct train from Bern to Zweisimmen, which if great I thought we would have to change at some stage.

1. Do we board the Golden pass train in the same station that we get off from the Bern to Zweisimmen ?

2. Plus are we missing some good scenery by only doing the golden pass from Zweisimmen to Montreux?

3. Montreux to Annecy is our destination from Switzerland to France. There does not seem to be many option when I search for this. My searching tells me there are lots of train changes to get from Montreux to Annecy.

Maybe a taxi from Geneva airport to Annecy?

Any advise would be very welcome.

Regards

Matt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    17 August 2018 at 7:09:01 #894381

Hi Matt,

1. Yes, it’s an easy change of trains.

2. You will basically be doing the Spiez to Montreux leg of the Golden Pass line, with a change in Zweisimmen. This is about half of the line. The other half is good as well, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to do it all. A visit to Switzerland always leaves lots of things for the next time 🙂

3. There are direct trains from Montreux to Geneva. There is no need to go to the airport. From Geneva there are several options. One option is via train with one change in Aix-les-Bains-le-Revard (quite a detour so this takes a lot of time). Another option is a direct bus in about an hour, e.g. http://www.flixbus.co.uk/bus-routes/geneva-annecy. It requires a 5-10 minute walk from the train to the bus station in Geneva. You’ll find taxi links on http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/geneva, but that will be (much) more expensive.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 August 2018 at 7:51:46 #894382

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the detailed response. It’s very much appreciated indeed. So getting the train from Montreux to Geneva and then a bus is the easiest option for us? We will have 4 suitcase, would it be ok to walk with them to the bus station with them? They are all on wheels too.

We are also going from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen

The only options are the 3 changes at Visp, Spiez and Interlaken and then to Lauterbrunnen?

Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 12:47:25 #894383

Hi Matt,

The bus is faster so may be more convenient for you. You can take a train as Arno notes, but it is a longer trip overall. Shouldn’t be too big a problem to walk to the bus station no.

Yes, always 3 changes to Lauterbrunnen from Zermatt. You can find the routes by the Swiss railways timetable – it always gives you the most direct route options. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 12:07:26 #894384

We, too, plan to travel from Montreux to Annecy. Our hosts in Annecy told us to take the train to Geneva Airport and go downstairs one level to catch the T72 bus to Annecy. I don’t have the link to the schedule, but Google will find it quickly enough. It’s about an hour on the bus, ends at the Annecy train station. I haven’t done it yet myself, so that’s all I know. Good luck.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    20 August 2018 at 3:28:31 #894385

Thank you all. looks its best to go to Geneva train station (not the airport) and then walk to the bus station. Thanks to all once again.

• The thread ‘Bern to Zweisimmen to Montreux & on to Annecy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.