How to get there & route details
How to travel to Castagnola and back from Gandria, and hiking route details.
How to get there and back
Castagnola can best be reached by bus from Lugano. From Gandria, you can best travel back by boat (most scenic option), or by bus.
Be sure to look into passes that may come in handy for this day trip and your other activities in Switzerland.
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed street by street directions as well:
- From the bus stop, walk 75 m down the road, then turn left into the narrow street Salita degli Olivi going down the hill. Alternatively there is a path going up the hill, which leads to Gandria too, but takes much more time. Do not take this path if you want to stick to the suggested route.
- Cross the street and continue on the Salita degli Olivi to reach the small square Piazza Carlo Cattaneo.
- Enter the Via Giacomo Discepoli and follow it for about 250 m. Then turn right into the Viottolo delle Agavi, which will take you to a parking lot on Lake Lugano.
- Follow the path (Sentiero di Gandria) along Lake Lugano, until you reach the town of Gandria.
- Take some time to explore the narrow streets before taking the boat or bus back.
Find bus and boat schedules. The name of the bus stop where the walk starts is 'Castagnola, Salita Olivi'. The name of the boat terminal is 'Gandria (lago)'. The name of the bus stop is 'Gandria, Paese'.
Plan your trip