1 day Lucerne to Montreux on Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2016 at 12:20:01 #810070

Hi. Thank you for creating this forum. I’ve found joy in reading all the forums. Even for places I might not go.

I have a qquestion.

1. I have down load Rail Planner. Just want to check. Is all train from Lucerne to Montreux a Golden Pass Train? Or is there a specific train at a precipice time?

I have download Rail Planner on my phone to plan my schedule. Want to plan my route. Please help.

We will be in Lucerne on 29 November will want to do Golden Pass on 30th November.

2. How early must we start our trip from Lucerne so that we can do a 1 round trip with a stop over at Montreux. How long can we stay in Montreux.

3. Is it too much to include Interlaken? The oldest in the group is 50 years n the youngest in the group is 16 years old. All fit n healthy.

i do appreciate all advise on timing for the train schedule and how long we can stay at each place.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 September 2016 at 15:23:15 #855849

Hi ceciliaggi,

Glad to hear you like our forum! You’ll find all Golden Pass details on our Golden Pass page. Did you already read that? Now, as for your questions:

1. I am not sure what Rail Planner is. The best source for Swiss train schedules is the official Swiss timetable. Please read the instructions on the page too: myswissalps.com/ timetable.

Note that you can’t just search for trains from Lucerne to Montreux as that will result in a list of the fastest trains to get you there. You will have to enter the “via-towns” Meiringen and Zweisimmen to make sure you only see trains via the Golden Pass route (as explained on the Route tab of the first page I gave you).

2. It takes 5.5 hours to reach Montreux and another 2.5-3 hours to get back to Luzern. The earlier you depart, the more time you’ll have in Montreux.

3. Yes, that’s too much. And there isn’t much to see in Interlaken anyway: myswissalps.com/ interlaken.

Does this help to complete your planning? Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 September 2016 at 15:45:44 #855850

Hi Ceciliaggi-

Here is a start:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Timetable-

Use the timetable linked below.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

read the instructions on the first page.

In the timetable, you can see the journey in stages….Luzern-Interlaken, Interlaken Montreux, or using the advanced features, construct the entire journey.

You can pick any departure time that you want.

You can travel the route in Golden Pass trains with special cars on some sections, or use “regular” trains on the same route, and still see the same scenery.

For example, leave Luzern at 0905, arive Montreux at 1413.

See attached screen grab from the timetable, with one of four journeys expanded by clicking on the “+” sign to the left of the journey

Breaking it into pieces makes more sense if you want to stop at Interlaken. However, that is not a very scenic town in its own right, so you might want to skip that. You won’t have time to go into the valley toward the Jungfrau.

Note that the timetable defaults to the fastest route. So, from Luzern to Interlaken, you might wish to put “Meiringen” in the “via” or “connections” box. That leg is called the Luzern-Interlaken Express. You may get it anyway, without the “via”

From Interlaken to Montreux, be sure to put Zweisimmen in the “via” or “connections” box. Otherwise, you’ll get routed through Bern.

Note that sunset time in Montreux is at 1648 on November 30.

http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/montreux ?month=11&year=2016

You may wish to save time on the return by going to Bern from Montreux, with a change at Lausanne, then to Luzern. Depart Montreux for Lausanne at 1623 or 1723 or 1823 for a journey to Luzern via bern taking 2 hrs, 37 minutes.

A clerk at the rail station can also print out an itinerary for you.

Please let us know if you cannot make the time table work for you. The first page of the link I gave has some instructions, but there is a lot of detail buried inside.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2016 at 9:32:53 #855851

Thank you Arno and Slowpoke for your reply. Have seen your advise to many forums members and it has helped me in my planning. However being more cautious i would like to note down the time of the train and the train numbers so that i don’t miss the train. Please do correct me if I am wrong in my search for the train.

1. I’m going to Montreux on 1 Dec. I have searche for the train via Meiringe. I will begin my trip at 8.00am, I would need to change train at a few stations: – Interlarken, Speiz and Visp before reaching Montreux in about 4hr 17 mins. There is not indication that the train is a Golden Pass Train. Does Golden Pass train starts in Lucerne?

2. If I put my search to travel Lucerne to Montreux Via Zweisimmen, i would need to change train at Bern and Zweisimmen before arriving at Montreux. then the train from Zweisimmen to Montreux is a Golden pass train. Please advise if my 2nd train search via Zweisimmen is the correct one. The train on that day will be as follows

(From LUcern 8am to Bern 9am on InterRegio 2512) change train

(from Berne 9.39am to Zweisimmen 10.59am on RegioExpress 4165 LÖTSCHBERGER) change train

(From Zweisimmen 11.05am to Montreux 13.13pm on Regio 2217 GOLDENPASS CLASSIC)

Also is there any difference between Golden Pass classic and Golden pass Panoramic?

DO really appreciate all your reply as i would like to take note on the correct train to take as i’m the “tour guide” of my group. Hopefully with as many info as possible we are able to travel around switzerland and seeing as much as possible. I would also need help for my other leg of my travel, will post question on other thread. PS. I’m going to switzerland with my teenage son and daughter and my niece. Thank you very much.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 September 2016 at 11:06:49 #855852

Hi ceciliaggi,

The Golden Pass page linked by Slowpoke and me explains about the route in detail. There’s a map too, and you can zoom in. Note the timetable section on the Route tab: it explains how to get schedules. Visp is not on the Golden Pass line. You’ll travel via Zweisimmen instead. Be sure to spell town names correctly when looking for schedules: Interlaken, Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2016 at 15:07:56 #855853

Thank you Arno.

After playing around with the website. I’m now able to see the search. Yes the town names are very difficult to remember. This thread helps me to settle my schedule for the trip to Montreux. Thank you very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2016 at 14:23:15 #855854

Thank you Slowpoke. After playing around I realised my mistake.

Now able to find the train schedule.

WIll post another thread to ask about suggestions to my itinerary.

Thank you very much.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 September 2016 at 14:59:35 #855855

<<“Thank you Slowpoke. After playing around I realised my mistake. Now able to find the train schedule. “>

Good to hear.

Please try to get the names of the towns spelled correctly. If you have to show a list to anyone, or discuss a route with someone from the SBB, correct spelling will help you say the names. And, the “look up” on some maps is not as forgiving as the one on the SBB timetable is.

Next question? 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 10:36:12 #855856

Wow! thank you very much Slowpoke. Yes the names of the stations sure make all very confusing.

Can I check on the different terms for the train. Please advise is there any difference between : IR train / IC train / TRN trains

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 September 2016 at 10:54:18 #855857

Hi Ceciliaggi-

<<“Can I check on the different terms for the train. Please advise is there any difference between : IR train / IC train / TRN trains”>>

Technically, and for administrative purposes, there are differences. For example, the IC (InterCity) trains may have newer cars, and may, perhaps make fewer intermediate stops. IR (Interregional) tend to have more stops, and may have somewhat older equipment, unless they happen to be on one of the lines that have recently been upgraded.

Practically, it makes little or no difference, unless you plan a very long or international journey, where a restaurant car may be desirable, or you want a train that makes fewer local stops.. The timetable lets you understand the number of intermediate stops, by choosing that option, and it gives timing for all types of trains. All but the smallest have a first class section.

I have attached a screen grab. It shows the information available by clicking on the two “+” signs in each journey listing.

This link to the SBB website explains the train types and gives some details:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/timetable-information/explanatio n-of-symbols.html

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 13:14:10 #855858

Dear Slowpoke and Arno

Thank you. following is my actual planned schedule.

I would like to go to the following places. Please advise the destination names that I should put in the SBB website to check on the train schedule if I’m going to these places.

1. Zurich airport – Zurich Flughafen?

2. Bern ? Please advise which station should I indicate? Just Bern?

3. Basel?Please advise which station should I indicate? Just Basel?

4. Mount Titlis – Engelberg station? Heard that there is an Engelberg Express. Is this the normal train? or a Special train. Please advise which station should I indicate

5. Rhine Fall – Please advise nearest station to stop in order to get to Rhein Falls. Schaffausen/ St Gallen – please advise the name of the station.

Actually my Schedule is as follows:-

28 November – arrive Lucerne 10pm

29/11 Lucerne – Zurich Flughafen (airport) dep 04:55 Arr 06:13 Travel with IR TRN2616 (1hr 20min 10 stops) To pick my son.

Zurich – Lucerne Dep 07:43 Arr 08:49 (IR train) TRN2250 3 stops (no change of train required)

Lucerne – Bern Dep 10am Arr 11am (IR train) InterRegio 2516

Bern – Basel SBB Dep dep 14:04 6 IC InterCity 972 – is this a train?

Basel – Lucerne Dep 7.17pm IR InterRegio 2485 Direction: Luzern

30 November Golden pass

1 Dec Mount Titlis – Alight at Engelberg dep 09:10 IR InterRegio 2964

LUZERN-ENGELBERG EXPRESS – want to do some winter activity. We can’t ski. want to see what we can do there. Please advise how long we should stay there. what else can we do for the day.

2 Dec check out to go Zurich airport hotel. (3rd dec 7am flight) want to do Rhine falls and then go Zurich for the Christmas market. Please advise what activity can I include for the day.

Please help to see if my schedule is ok? Is it too much? Or how else can I arrange my schedule. Looking forward to your advise.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2016 at 13:34:51 #855859

Hi ceciliaggi,

1./2. Yes, correct.

3. Correct, or “Basel SBB”, which is the same (main) station.

4. That’s just a name for tourists. All the trains to Engelberg are the same. Please see the Titlis page for location names and further details.

5. Please see the Rhine Fall page for all the details.

Ski season doesn’t start until mid December in most places, and even then it’s weather/season dependent. You’d have to check when you are there if there are any snow activities yet, sledging for example. Specifically for Titlis: the snow park there (see the Titlis page) may or may not be open around that time. It’s low season, so I am not sure. If it’s closed there might be some options on Mount Rigi, but again depending on the snow of the season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 14:00:05 #855860

Thank you Slowpoke. Thank you for the clarification on the trains because i thought it was bus services.

Would like your comment on my planned schedule for my stay in switzerland. Please advise if my schedule is too over whelming or is it doable.

I would welcome any advise to either amend or change the places to visit, schedule of stay..etc.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 14:23:33 #855861

Dear Arno.

Thank you for your clarification. Unfortunately I have bought the ticket for Mount Titlis. Now crossing my finger that there are snow and we are able to play around. It would be an experience for my kids.

As we don’t ski, i hope there are some snowboarding, sledding, snow walk activities that my teenage children can do. How long would you suggest for us to be there? What other activity can we do around Engelberg and Mount Titlis. DO you think this will be a full day activity?

Are we able to catch a boat ride back to Lucerne? 19 years back when I went over to Switzerland for my honeymoon, I did take a boat ride to Mount Pilatus. The view was great!

Thus i hope i can incorporate a ride in my schedule.

From my schedule I do not know how I can include a boat ride. Hope you could see my schedule to advise.

PS. I have bought a 4 day Swiss Pass to cover my transportation. DO you think I have made full use of my pass?

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2016 at 14:56:09 #855862

Hi ceciliaggi,

No worries about snow on Mount Titlis, it will definitely be there. I just don’t know whether there are actual snow activities around that time. Just go there if the weather is fine, and see what’s available. Count on a full day and if you’re back early you might be able to do something else. Do note it’s dark early though.

There are no boats from Engelberg. You can take a boat from Lucerne, but the schedule will be limited because of low season. You’ll find all details on the Lake Lucerne boat page. Mount Rigi I mentioned before is another good option, and free with your pass so you’d be definitely using your pass to the fullest.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 September 2016 at 17:03:34 #855863

Hi ceciliaggi-

To better understand the transport and day trip auctions in the Luzern area, this map may help.

You can enter names such a Engelberg or Rigi in the search box.

map.search.ch/Engelber g-OW?pos=673412,185872&z=12 8

I have zoomed in on Engelberg.

If you zoom out, you can see Lake Lucerne.

When you zoom in, you can see the rail lines.

Also. if you go into the menus under “Points of Interest/Traffic” you can select to turn on an overlay for various kinds of public transportation stops/ship landings/cableways. etc.

That can help you to understand the ship landings on L:ake Lucerne and how they connect to the railroads, etc.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 12:20:50 #855864

Dear Arno.

Thank you. Just hope that there will be activities up there as I have been telling my kids on the activities that they can expect to do there.

Otherwise will Mount Rigi be a better choice to the the winter activity? Cos I’m not too sure which will be a better choice to visit. Please advise.

Thank you

Cecilia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 12:29:36 #855865

Dear Slowpoke

Thank you for your link to the map. Will try to play around to get a better understand of the places that I’ll visit. However with such a short time. I just hope to be able to cover the places that I’ve indicate.

However I have a question on my scheduel on the 2 Dec.

I’ll be staying in Holiday Inn Express Zurich which is in Rumlang.

If I want to get to these few places: Rhine falls, Schaffausen , St Gallen and Zurich for the Christmas market. Is it doable in 1 day? How long should I stay in each place.

Please advise the name of the train station that I should look for this leg of the trip.

Thank you

Cecilia

Annika
    7103 posts
    20 September 2016 at 14:24:24 #855866

Hi ceciliaggi,

You will have to check with the tourist office or the websites of those mountains when you are there. It won’t be winter yet during your trip, so it all depends on the weather what the options are. There should be snow, for starters 😉

• The thread ‘1 day Lucerne to Montreux on Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.