2 Days visit covering Zurich & Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 10:51:50 #809962

Hi.

I am reaching Zurich Airport on 10th Sept by 7am & plan to spend the day in Zurich doing sight seeing. By 5:30 pm same day, I need to start for Lucerne as my hotel is booked in Lucerne for 10th & 11th night. On 11th Sept, I have a full day available at Lucerne. On 12th Sept morning, I am starting for Milan by train.

1. Can you pl. guide me on places to see in Zurich on 10th Sept & in Lucerne on 11th Sept?

2. I have only booked for my train travel from Lucerne to Milan on 12th Sept. Which other tickets should I purchase in Advance? Which pass will be helpful? Will Tell Pass be advisable? Can you help with an itinerary to cocer important places at these destinations in two days?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2016 at 2:06:19 #855430

Hi Saggarsidha-

<<“1. Can you pl. guide me on places to see in Zurich on 10th Sept & in Lucerne on 11th Sept?”>>

Here is a start.

Skip Zürich. Go directly to Luzern:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Swiss trains do not require advance reservations, unless you are travelling out of the country ( then only because you need them for the portions outside Switzerland,but you might as well have your seats for the whole trip).

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2016 at 9:14:24 #855431

Haggarsidha-

Forgot to welcome you to My Swiss Alps. Nice to have you here, and you certainly have picked the partof theyear with the best weather (on average’) No promises. 😉

Here are a couple of other comments.

It would take approximately one week of hard work to cover all the “important places” in and near Luzern. Maybe two weeks. 😉

When you arrive there, stop at the tourist information office near track #1 main station. They are very helpful and quite experienced, and can suggest a basic tour of the city and possible nearby areas for a day tripp….such as the Rigi, Titlis, Piatus, or a lake boat ride.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:09:59 #855432

Hi sagarsiddha,

I agree with Slowpoke’s suggestion to stay in Lucerne only. You can choose from a Tell-Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 9:48:37 #855433

Thank you Slowpoke & Arno for your reverts. Any particular reason for skipping Zurich & going to Lucerne directly? Pl. let me know.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2016 at 10:15:16 #855434

Hi sagarsiddha,

The reason is you don’t have much time, and Zurich is not in the Alps. Lucerne is, so you’ll have a better experience. Please see the Zurich and Lucerne pages so you can decide for yourself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 10:33:47 #855435

Thank you Arno! That helps…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 August 2016 at 15:10:34 #855436

Hi Sagarsiddha –

I was traveling and di not have time for an answer.

Arno gave the accurate and and succinct version.

To amplify slightly…..Zürich is a city that rewards spending significant and leisurely time, exploring museums, music, and cultural things. I probably like Zürich better than any other Swiss city, but it is not because of things that you can easily see in a one day quick trip.

Luzern has a very scenic location, with high mountains surrounding it, a beautiful lake with much more rewarding scenery then the lake of Zürich, and a much more scenic old town.

More tourists, too, but that is because it is attractive for tourists.

That is why I say ” skip Zürich” to most first time tourists to Switzerland, unless they want to explore some really good art museums, go to the Tonhalle for a concert or take a walk from Uetliberg to Felsenegg with a stop at UtoStaffel for lunch. ( 3- 5 hours required for walk plus lunch.)

http://www.uto-staffel.ch/

(By the way, near the station in Luzern is a major collection of Picassos and Klees in the Rosengart Collection, if that interests you.)

http://www.rosengart.ch/museu m_rosengart_en.php5

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2016 at 11:20:35 #855437

Thank you Slowpoke for your detailed reply.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 August 2016 at 21:42:38 #855438

<<“Thank you Slowpoke for your detailed reply.”>>

Hi sagarsiddha –

You are quite welcome.

Hope it helps.

Keep asking if you want more information.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘2 Days visit covering Zurich & Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.