How to best plan 2 days in Grindelwald in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 2:30:07 #814826

Hi everyone, my husband and I will be travelling to Europe for the first time in August and we will have 2 full days (3 nights) in Grindelwald. I know we have to plan our rail journeys so we know what pass to buy but the problem is that I’m not sure what is the best way to make use of those 2 days. I know we would like to travel up Jungfrau if the weather permits but I’m gathering that there are various routes to take up and down. Would it be overdoing it to go up Mt Schilthorn as well or should we only do that if the weather is not suitable for Jungfrau?

We’re really into scenery rather than museums and we’re in our early 50’s and from Australia. I’m so excited to be coming to Switzerland and don’t want to waste a moment so I would really appreciate some suggestions for our 2 day itinerary.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 16:47:01 #879061

Hi MichelleJ and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a list of suggested activities in the Grindelwald/Jungfrau area here. Have a look and see what might interest you – there are lots of options. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips from Grindelwald.

As for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, I might not try to do both in one day but both over 2 days is fine certainly. If you have the Swiss Travel Pass Schilthorn is 100% free for you. I’d go to the mountain with good weather on day 1 or 2. If you have time and the weather looks good then try the 2nd mountain. Weather changes happen frequently up in the mountains so it can clear up quickly if the day looks poor in the morning so keep an eye on it.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    18 March 2018 at 23:53:54 #879062

Hi Michelle

instead of going to Schilthorn, you might consider some hiking which is a great way to experience the Jungfrau area. There are many great hikes very close to Grindelwald and they range from paved and easy to moderate to very difficult depending on your level of interest and fitness. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 7:35:00 #879063

>> I know we would like to travel up Jungfrau if the weather permits but I’m gathering that there are various routes to take up and down.

Yes, you can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa). The scenery is stunning on both routes, and quite different – see attached diagram of the route.

>> Would it be overdoing it to go up Mt Schilthorn as well or should we only do that if the weather is not suitable for Jungfrau?

I don’t think it would be overdoing it – both are different and stunning. However, with such a short time in the area, you might have other priorities.

You can see some photos of both the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn attached to my post of Mar 1, 2017 – 10:12 PM (and the following post) on this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-questions

Another option to consider is the train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte. Superb views from there too, and a wonderful steep ride on the mountain railway to get there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 7:59:35 #879064

Thank you everyone for your replies. They are all very helpful. I can now do some more research and decide what we are going to do.

• The thread ‘How to best plan 2 days in Grindelwald in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.