3 days Grindelwald & cheaper way to Jungfraujoch

• ryanryan
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 August 2017 at 3:09:48 #812926

I will stay in a hotel at Grindelwald for 3 days. Here is my plan

Day 1

Grindelwald–Bort–Schreckfeld–First –> Flyer to Schreckfeld-> walk to Bort-> bike to Grindelwald

Day 2

Grindelwald –> Kleine Scheidgee –> Jungfraujoch —> Kleine Scheidgee (lunch)->walk–>Wengen-Mannlichen–Grindelward

Day 3

Grindelwald–Lauterbrunnen — Stechelberg–Mürren (Schilthornbahn)– Grindelwald

I will buy a Swiss-Half- Pass.

Q1: For Day 2, should I need to buy any pass?

Q2: or I just buy the point-to-point tickets? (e.g. Grindelwald –> Jungfraujoch = CHF 47.5 for SINGLE trip ), correct ?

Q3: When I use SBB app to preview the tickets, the round trip tickets (Grindelwald –> Jungfraujoch) = CHF 95.0, what will be the return time? or I can choose the any car on the same day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 11:13:15 #868212

Welcome to MySwissAlps RyanRyan!

As for your questions:

Q1: No, if you plan to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card you need no additional passes. You only need discounted tickets. You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

Q2: Yes, that’s the single discounted price. But you can simply buy a return ticket. No need to buy a ticket for each leg separately.

Q3: Sorry, I am not sure what you mean here. You mentioned a price, a time and a car?

ryanryan
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 August 2017 at 13:36:10 #868213

Thank you for your reply!

Re Q3: I mean when I select the round-trip in the SBB apps, it seems that it can only choose the time for the Point A –> Point B, but cant see any option for choosing time for the return route (Point B –> Point A).

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 14:26:43 #868214

Hi again RyanRyan,

To find schedules back to Grindelwald you simply fill out Jungfraujoch in the From field and Grindelwald in the To field, here in the timetable. Note that times are unrelated to tickets. You just buy a ticket for the day either on the spot or online, and you can take any train you like with that. Of course if you buy a seat reservation on top of that, that is for one train only.

Enjoy the trip!

ryanryan
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 August 2017 at 14:33:55 #868215

Yes, I know the schedule from Grindelward to Jungfraujoch clearly from the SBB app.

I mean when i tap the “round trip” icon (see attachment)

That is no way to choose the return time.

Therefore, i am wondering if that mean “round trip” tickets allow us to take the train in any time (go/return, or only for return)?

Sorry for my poor english.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 14:41:21 #868216

Hi RyanRyan,

Yes, you can travel at any time you like. The round trip icon is only there so you can see the price of a return ticket. At what time you board the return train is up to you, your ticket is valid for the entire day. So no need to pick a time.

ryanryan
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 August 2017 at 14:47:53 #868217

I get it!

How about if I buy a SINGLE ticket? Can I still travel at any time?

As I just find my ticket ( in my SBB app, the ticket (SINGLE ticket) doesn’t indicate any time.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 15:55:02 #868218

Great! Tickets in Switzerland are never for one specific train, unless you book a seat too. So yes, you can travel at any time.

ryanryan
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 August 2017 at 8:11:40 #868219

Thank you Arno! You are helpful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 16:46:56 #868220

Hi Arno,

I would like to know if we will also have to buy tickets for from Grindelwald to Jungfrauhoch and back for my son who is 10 years old and eligible for Swiss family card and free travel with our swiss travel passes.

thanks

Sabina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 5:34:48 #868221

Hi Sabina,

If you have the Swiss Family Card then your son travels free – no tickets needed.

Lucas

• The thread ‘3 days Grindelwald & cheaper way to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.