Where to go for 3 days in Switzerland – late March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 17:30:19 #814007

First of all, I just want to say that I love your website!

Our family is flying into Geneva at the end of March before going to Chamonix to ski for 6 days. We have 3 days to see as much as we can of Switzerland. One must see spot on our list is Jungfrajoch. Other than that, we are open to suggestions. Can you recommend places to stay (for 3 nights) and places to see for our time there? We plan to travel by train from Geneva and back to Geneva before picking up our rental car to head to Chamonix.

we are open to any suggestions.

we also would like to store our ski bags at the Geneva airport while travelling through Switzerland. Is there a place to store our bags in the airport for 3 days?

thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 17:46:03 #874048

Hi Mooretravel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Glad to hear you are happy with the website!

If you only have 3 days to travel and your must-see is Jungfraujoch then I would stay in the Jungfrau region for all 3 nights, at least 2. If you’d like one night not in the mountains, consider a stop in Montreuxon Lake Geneva on your way back. For a city break, the town of Bern would work as well and is quite nice or Luzern.

For ideas of what to see and do in the Jungfrau region (other than Jungfraujoch) click here.

Yes, Geneva airport has a left luggage office where you can leave the skis: https://www.gva.ch/en/ desktopdefault.aspx/ta bid-182/

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 20:04:30 #874049

My suggestion: Geneva – Zermatt (1 night) – Wengen (2 nights) via Kandersteg – Geneva via Golden Pass Line. See Matterhorn AND Jungfraujoch (weather permitting).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 3:10:12 #874050

>> We plan to travel by train from Geneva and back to Geneva before picking up our rental car to head to Chamonix.

Are you committed to driving to Chamonix?

A scenic way of getting there by train would be the Mont Blanc Express from Martigny in Switzerland to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc.

This trip is covered in full by the Swiss Travel Pass (if you will have one).

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/mont-blanc-express-st-bernard-express.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 3:14:54 #874051

HI! Thanks for the advice. We are not committed to driving to Chamonix but have been told that going from Geneva to Chamonix via train is not easy, especially with ski equipment, and that a car is needed once you get to Chamonix (to get to the various ski hills, etc). We are definitely open to other options though, so will check out the link you sent me. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 5:25:53 #874052

>> have been told that … a car is needed once you get to Chamonix (to get to the various ski hills, etc).

This link might also be of assistance:

http://www.chamonix.com/trave l-information,13,en.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 4:06:05 #874053

I am trying to book the Golden Pass Train on March 28th, 2018, from Interlaken Ost to Montreux and the system says there are no trains available from Zweisimmen to Montreux. I can’t find anything on the MOB website but have heard that it may not be running in March 2018 due to construction. Can you know how I can confirm this and if there is an alternative?

Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 5:23:30 #874054

Hi Mooretravel,

See http://www.mystsnet.com/filea dmin/doc/01_News/Const ruction_works_MOB.pdf

There is a bus replacing the train in one section between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon so you can’t make reservations. You can still enjoy the trip. You will rejoin the train at Montbovon to continue to Montreux.

Interesting that the SBB Timetable doesn’t show any disruption (see attached)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 16:40:27 #874055

Hi,

Is Zermatt a good excursion from Lucerne for 2 days in mid March? or Murren/Schilthorn is better option?

Where will we see a lot of snow?

Our next base will be Zurich.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 17:03:37 #874056

If you’re looking for snow in the villages any of those could have a good amount or very little.
    The mountains around those villages will have a lot of snow for you though!

The trip to Zermatt is about 30-45 minutes longer but if you are going for two days that isn’t an issue.
    Murren is smaller and a bit less touristy than Zermatt if that helps you decide. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 17:23:51 #874057

Thank you Lucas,

Yes i have seen the itineraries at sbb.ch. It’s about 3 hrs 15 min to Zermatt, it is not an issue.

I’m looking for an excursion near Lucerne with scenic landscapes and snow and i have seen that the best option is Murren/Wengen/Zermatt.

Most likely i will decide Zermatt for 1 or 2 days, but do you have any other suggestion?

As i can understand the SwissTravelPass includes the costs of the trains for these routes, is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 18:36:04 #874058

Yes, those would be the villages with the best chance of snow – some of the highest elevations in Switzerland, along with Davos and St. Moritz – I’d pick Murren or Wengen overall I think (if the Matterhorn isn’t a priority).

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers travel to all of those towns – see where it is valid on our web page here.

• The thread ‘Where to go for 3 days in Switzerland – late March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.