4 day itinerary from Schüpfheim Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 8:00:19 #815400

Hi,

My planned itenary for Switzerland is as follows

1. Arrive from florence to lugano by train.Overnight halt in lugano.

2. Day 1,Take bernia express bus and train from Lugano /Tirano respectively,arrive at Chur,connecting train to Lucerne and then schupfeim

3. On the second day vist Mt schillthorn and then funicular to harder klum and back to schupfeim

4. Third day,go to jungfrau,go up via grindelwald and come down through wengen,alternative plan if weather does not permit boat trip to Vitznau and trip to Mt Rigi by Cog railway and down to Arth Goldau and back to schupfeim

5. Fourth day, Trip to Mt Pilatius/Titlis ,followed by boating in Lucerne and back to schupfeim

6. Morning of 5 day depart from schupfiem to basel to catch TGV train to paris.

All movements by train with 4 day Swiss Travel Pass.Intend booking journey from schupfiem to basel through savers day pass.

Would appreciate ur suggeations on the itenary and changes are welcome.Suggestions solicited for cheapest mode of transport from schupfiem to basel whilst departing Switzerland as our STP is valid only for 4 days.

Regards

Guru

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 April 2018 at 9:37:06 #882575

Hello Guru,

A full-fare ticket from Schüpfheim to Basel will cost you CHF59 so if you get a Saver Day Pass at the best price available you will save CHF7.

Your Lugano to Schüpfheim trip is going to be a long day in the saddle. Have you checked the timing of your journeys using the Swiss Train Timetable to plan your travel? If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 9:51:27 #882576

Hi Rockoyster,

Am fully aware of the longhaul from lucerne to schupfeim via lucerne but the plan is to take Bernia express and tick off one of the scenic train journeys Switzerland has to offer. Will rough it out while enjoying the scenery.Ur welcome to suggest alternatives please.

Regards

Guruprasad

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 10:05:07 #882577

Hi Guru,

Perhaps taking the Gotthard Panorama Express will suffice? It runs from Lugano to Lucerne via train and boat and would make the day much shorter & simpler for you.

For tickets from Basel to Paris look here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2018 at 10:30:29 #882578

Hi guruprasad –

<<“schupfiem”>>

I assume that you mean Schüpfheim? Schüpfheim to Jungfraujoch takes either 4 hours 6 minutes or 4 hours 36 minutes.

You cannot go up to the summit of the Jungfrau.

Day 3 will have a minimum of 8 hours on the trains just to go there and get back.

The trip to Interlaken, Schilthorn, Harder Kulm ( not klum) will also be a very long day.

Please note the timetable link that Rockoyster provided, in case you are not using it..

Schüpfheim is a very nice small Emmental town. Although I have not stayed there, I have driven through it and also gone through it many many times on the train while staying in Langnau i.E., Trubschachen, Signau, Grosshöchstetten and Konolfingen and also in the northern Emmental at Affoltern i. E. and Sumiswald. In Summer, when the pass is open I have come to the Entlebuch over the Glauben Pass from the Sarner See. So, I know the area well.

I have spent many days hiking in the area and exploring the Emmental.

In the years that I have been on this forum, I can recallno more than a half dozen times, if that many, when someone has chosen to stay in the Emmental.

At least one was looking into family history, Another was staying with friend in Rüegsau.

May I ask why you chose Schüpfheim? And whether you have any intention of looking around the Emmental?

If you are not staying with friends, be sure that you can get to your lodging when you come to Schüpfheim late at night. If you have a long walk to your lodging, it may well involve some hill climbing. Reception at the inns in most villages is not staffed late at night, or else the innkeepers are in bed. With the door locked. If you are staying at the Hotel Kreuz, it is about 1/2 km from the train station with a level walk to the hotel.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 11:34:21 #882579

Hi,

The choice of place i.e schupfeim was primarily cost basef and availability of a good accomadation on AirBNB site which indicated just a 5 minute walk to the property from the station,further we thought that since we would be availing STP distances should not be an issue as we are two couples and what better way to discover Switzerland .

The address is Frutteggstrasse 89,schupfheim.

So as per your suggestions we would take the gothard panorama express in lieu of Bernia express.

Regards

Guruprasad

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2018 at 13:36:28 #882580

Hi guruprasad-

The location is about 1/2 km from the station, and has a 55 meter climb to reach it. Probably correct at 5 minutes for a Swiss walker…they don’t notice hills. 10 minutes for me, with no luggage.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&E=2 643959.50&N=1199977.75 &zoom=9

Perhaps they’ll pick you up when you first arrive? How late at night will they accept you?

Schüpfheim is not a bad location for Luzern (local German spelling) but there are substantial hills or mountains between there and the Jungfrau region.

Take a look at this map:

map.search.ch/?q=Fruteggstrasse+89&po i=cafe,hotel&near=6829 62,248292&pos=632640,1 93344&z=8&poi_id=73c9b 0a945d430bf-tel

Look over at the left near Münsigen, Worb, Konolfingen…

There are two train lines that run south to the Jungfrau region. One from Bern via Münsigen, the other from the Emmental region, both to Thun.

If you zoom the map in two levels to zoom level 32, you’ll see those train lines pop up.

Between Schüpfheim and the Jungfrau region there are substantial hills or mountains. That is why the train lines run the way that they do. There is some bus service to Sarnen over those mountains, and to Giswil, but only in the summer months. The pass is closed in the Winter. The line through Schüpfheim used to be the main route between Bern and Luzern, and has nice views of the Emmental. But, nowadays, it is mostly a local line with many stops.

map.search.ch/?q=Fruteggstrasse+89&po i=cafe,hotel&near=6829 62,248292&pos=632640,1 93344&z=8&poi_id=73c9b 0a945d430bf-tel

That trip that you plan two days in a row will get a bit long on the

second try. It is certainly true that you will see a bit of the very

nice heart of rural Switzerland as you ride through the Emmental . Four

times… twice each trip, if it is still not dark when you return. If you could find a place to stay that meets your budget near Münsingen or along that line, or, more likely, on the line that runs from Konolfigen to Thun, perhaps near Oberdiessbach, you’ll save a lot of wear and tear on yourselves, and have a lot more time for your listed destinations.

Those line will give you good access to Bern and onward to Basel on the way out, too. The line through Münsingen will have more direct access and more frequent trains. Going to Basel from Schüpfheim will have a longer journey to Basel – and it will go a fifth time over the route to Bern that gets you to Interlaken, since you’ll have to go through Bern.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 16:10:49 #882581

Hi,

Thanks slowpoke for having given such an elaborate and illustrative response,will definitely heed your advice and rework my plans in line with your advice.

If you could also help me out with suggestions for accomadation in places suggested by you ,we would love to hang out with the rural crowd.

Meanwhile i will acclimatize myself to the route/terrain map u have forwarded

Regards

Guruprasad

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2018 at 16:58:20 #882582

Hi Guru-

By the way, when are you traveling?

I’m sorry that I don’t have any suggestions quickly.

I always stay at inns, and avoid AirBnB because they take business away from the inns. The inns have a lot of character, often a lot of history in their towns as a center of town activities, and usually good kitchens, and I like to support them.

And my budget accommodates inns and an occasional hotel.

Finally, I trade off cost to more time at desirable locations . My time in Switzerland is precious to me, and I don’t want to spend several hours each day going back and forth to where I want to be. I do like to ride the trains….lots to see…but I don’t want to do a lot of it every dayon repetitive routes.. The times that I have stayed in the Emmental have been times when I wanted to go hiking.

For sightseeing in the Jungfrau region I have stayed in Wengen. There are some ( relatively) inexpensive places there. But, it is a resort area and not cheap. Brienz is cheaper.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/hotels

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/4

What I do is pop up Mapsearch.ch for a start and go to the region I’m interested in.. Then, in the menu, under Points of Interest/Gastronomy I turn on accommodations. That gives some some names to check out.

I also search the internet or Google Maps for accommodations near the ones I see on the map.

I usually e-mail for reservations. I always e-mail (or telephone) to those places, because there is usually someone who speaks English. Maybe in the smallest places in the really rural areas (we have not mentioned any by the way) I have to use my very weak German. Typically. you get a small discount, maybe 5 CHF off the posted rates. Not always. I do that because the booking sites charge the hotels/inn a fee, and they’d rather work directly with you and save the fee.

I’ll come back in a day or so with some information about where you might stay, mostly from my perspective, but I’ll try to aim for budget accommodations.

Mweanwhile, possibly, some one else on the forum will have some ideas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 2:11:05 #882583

Hi slowpoke,

Will work on your guidance and c if we can make our swiss trip memorable

Regards

Guruprasad

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:01:57 #882584

Hi Guru-

Still thinking about your plans.

Coming from Italy to Luzern makes good sense, as noted before. That Gotthard Panorama route is really nice. I’ll be taking the rail part in May, riding in the Photography Car….the windows can be opened.

If I were you, I’d stay in or near Luzern for part of your trip. There are lots of suburbs quickly accessible by train ( actually, villages). Then, I’d go to the region I mentioned between Thun and Bern. Then, at the end, I’d head out to Basel.

At the cost of staying in two places instead of one, you would have a logical travel flow from a geography perspective, and you could pick up the pleasantly scenic part of the Golden Pass route between Luzern and the Jungfrau Region.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

I think that section is called Interlaken Luzern Express, although they change the names once in a while. ;-(

Although there are choices in several directions from Luzern, I’d look a long the train line to the southwest between Luzern and the Brunig pass for a place to stay….Sarnen, Sachseln, Giswil, maybe Dallenwil (on a branch line that goes to Engelberg and Titlis).

map.search.ch/?pos=664912,194432&z=32

Between Thun and Bern I’ve still not got any firm suggestions.

However, here is something to look into. I recall looking into places in the area a while back:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/visiting-small-towns-in-bern-region

You’ll have to scroll way down in the January 2nd postings to get to that discussion, but it talks about villages and places to stay, and mentions a place in Oberdiessbach near the train.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:13:09 #882585

Hi Slowpoke,

Pro tip. If you copy the davismavis3 link on your first Jan 2 post you will get closer to the starting point you are recommending. eg http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/permalink/gS PrDKDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:15:25 #882586

Thanks, Pro.

I see that you have earned your Expert status.

😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:27:01 #882587

Earned is a bit of a stretch. I just made the pre-requisite 2501 posts. I need several more visits to Switzerland to really earn the status.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2018 at 12:55:53 #882588

<<“I need several more visits to Switzerland to really earn the status. “>>

I guess I’d support your opinion. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 0:28:12 #882589

Yah, someone staying at Schüpfheim. A lovely place in the Emmental.

We camped as a family at Schüpfhein in 1974 (I was 14) and did some great circular trips by train from the station

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2018 at 0:40:52 #882590

Hi 1960man –

<<“Yah, someone staying at Schüpfheim. A lovely place in the Emmental.

We camped as a family at Schüpfhein in 1974 (I was 14) and did some great circular trips by train from the station”>>

The Emmental inns are a hollow echo of their former selves. Still, nice traveling in the area.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 April 2018 at 16:21:09 #882591

There are always many good reasons to re-visit Switzerland! I’m certainly not concerned about your status so that’s not one of them I’d say 🙂

• The thread ‘4 day itinerary from Schüpfheim Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.