14 hour Zurich layover – What mountain to visit?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 13:21:20 #813607

Hi All –

A friend and I are planning a stopover in Switzerland for 14 hours at the end of November.

What is the suggested Mt to visit in that time frame?

Anyone have clear instructions on how to get to the train, names of station etc. from the ZURICH airport??

Any input would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 16:55:00 #871503

Hi Galigutt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You could visit any of the mountains in the Luzern area in that time frame. The easiest would be Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out the trip from Zurich airport to either mountain (use Pilatus Kulm or Rigi Kulm for the top mountain station on the timetable).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 16:58:13 #871504

Thanks for your help!

We have heard that Mt. Rigi has a prettier view, so I think we will go with that.

How long does it take travel to and from the Zurich airport each way?

What attractions/things to do are there at this time of year?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 November 2017 at 6:04:49 #871505

Hi Galigutt,

You can use the timetable that Lucas linked to in order to work out travel times.

If, heaven forbid, the weather is overcast and rainy then a trip up the mountains may not be worthwhile. Looking at the inside of clouds can be fairly dull. You need a Plan B for bad weather. You can always check the weather the day before you arrive at http://www.meteoswiss.admin.c h/home.html?tab=overview or check the webcams at http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Webcams or http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/

For what it is worth I enjoyed Pilatus more than Rigi. Dress warm – it will be cold up top even if the sun is shining.

You don’t say what time your stopover in Zurich starts and ends – what time do anticipate leaving the airport and what time do you need to be back?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 November 2017 at 13:42:47 #871506

Hi Galigut

Here are a few photos that show the views related to (or from) Pilatus and the Rigi. I don’t have one handy from Rigi Kulm.

As does Rockoyster, i prefer the more dramatic views for Pilatus,and I prefer the Rigi for walking and looking at different views.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2017 at 0:58:19 #871507

Hej,

As was stated above, a trip up any of the mountains in Switzerland is a waste of time and money if the weather is not cooperating, so a Plan B is a good idea if you don’t want to potentially waste the 14 hours that you have. In such a situation, I think that Zürich and/0r Luzern would be your best bet, but I leave it to you to do your own research and decide what is best for your interests.

If, on the other hand, it appears that the weather is going to be nice, then by all means go to one of the mountains. Rigi and Pilatus have great views (I would prefer Pilatus myself) and this is why they are so popular with many tourists from afar. However, there is another mountain you can get to from Zürich which is more popular with Swiss and German tourists, the Säntis. At 2502 M, it is considerably higher than either the Pilatus (2128 M ) or Rigi (1798 M).and if the weather is favourable you can see six different countries from up there: Switzerland (of course), Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, and maybe even Italy and France. Check the Roundshot on the Säntis a number of times to give yourself and idea of what the view can be like up there. saentis.roundshot.com/ When I was there in July (many, many years ago) it was cold and very windy, so just imagine what it is almost certainly going to be like by the end of November. You can also learn more about the Säntis by looking at this on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ S%C3%A4ntis

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2017 at 1:06:29 #871508

Grüezi Peterli –

You suggestion of Säntis is excellent. The entire Ostschweiz does not get its due, and the Säntis is a superb example of what is there to experience.

I wonder if the travel to the Luzern mountains might offer more immediate results, and have more nearby”Plan B” options, such as Luzern or Bern?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 1:24:11 #871509

In addition to Slowpoke’s photos, here are a few photos taken from Rigi Kulm.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 2:02:18 #871510

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions!! (Tho any additional suggestions of what to do would be great!)

Our flight lands in Zurich at about 9 and leaves at abt 11. Being that its over 12hrs and international, we do need to leave some time for customs and locking our luggage in a locker in the airport.

It seems that the Säntis is not as flexible with timing and direct public transportation (at least that is what I am seeing on line).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2017 at 5:41:47 #871511

Hi again,

The distance to the Säntis from Kloten is definitely greater than to the two other mountains that have been discussed. As you can see from the attached maps, it takes about 1 hr 22 minutes to get from Kloten (the train station is right under the terminal) to Urnäsch, with a change of train in Gossau, and the post bus ride from Urnäsch to Schwägalp takes about 25 minutes. So it is definitely do-able. However, because of the relatively short time you have, I would only consider this excursion if on the very morning all the weather predictions were calling for crystal blue skies. The same-day weather predictions in Switzerland are pretty good. Then and only then would I do it. Otherwise, I would determine if the weather for the Pilatus and the Rigi was going to be any better, and if not, I would swing into my “Plan B”. I agree with Slowpoke that it would be better to be doing a “Plan B” around Luzern on a poor weather day rather then over in the area around Saint Gallen. I would be sure to dress warmly in either case and would certainly bring along an umbrella. Luzern is one of the wettest cities in Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2017 at 6:23:46 #871512

Hi galigutt,

Another thing to keep in mind – even though you may not need to be back at Zurich Airport by 9:00pm (not sure if 2 hours prior to international flights is a pre-requisite in Switzerland) the sun will set around 4:40pm in Lucerne on 29 November. See http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/lucerne

Sight-seeing in the dark has only limited appeal outside of a city. Once it goes dark I can recommend http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch to while away an hour or two.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2017 at 8:57:54 #871513

Hi Alpenrose-

Those are useful pictures from Rigi Kulm. Nice to have a clear day.

May I have your permission to re-use them in the My Swiss Alps forum with attribution?

The view of the Zugersee in Nr. 1 and Nr. 2 reminds me of the nice walk around the larger wooded peninsula north of Immensee. A little rough in spots, but nice views of the lake and Rigi Kulm. The Lake Hotel Baumgarten on the southeeastern shore is locally popular for fish cooking. The lake boat docks right at the restaurant, so a relaxing excursion on the lake, from Zug for example, is possible.

The view of the Rigi from the restaurant is sort of the inverse of your picture.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 9:02:20 #871514

>> Those are useful pictures from Rigi Kulm. Nice to have a clear day. May I have your permission to re-use them in the My Swiss Alps forum with attribution?

Yes, of course!

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2017 at 9:30:37 #871515

Hi Alpenrose-

Here are two more pictures of the Rigi, Küssnacht am Rigi, and the Zuger See, taken from Hammetschwand, on Bürgenstock.

One more angle on the northern slope of the Rigi.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 3:35:43 #871516

Nice pictures!

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 November 2017 at 9:03:46 #871517

Thanks-

I always enjoy the walk to Hammetschwand along the Felsenweg from Bürgenstock, with the reward of great views and a nice meal, especially if it is a clear day. In addition the view toward Zug, you have nice views past Dallenwil in the direction of Titlis, and can look right at Pilatus. Thoughtful of

the Swiss to put a nice place to eat up there, as well. 😉

It is lot easier to get there these days, now that the funicular from Kehrsiten up to Bürgenstock is running again.

I’m sure that they are shut down at Hammetschwand for the Winter, now. Once the weather gets cold enough for snow, they close the Felsenweg.

Slowpoke

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    10 November 2017 at 13:24:15 #871518

Don’t bother with left luggage lockers at Zurich Airport. If your luggage isn’t being routed directly through to your next flight, simply check it in for your outgoing flight before leaving for your day out in Switzerland. It’s the best and safest left luggage there is and, effectively, it’s free! Andrew

• The thread ‘14 hour Zurich layover – What mountain to visit?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.