Drive from Italy to Interlaken for 4 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2017 at 19:11:18 #810752

Hi,

We are a family of 3. We are driving to Switzerland from Italy and have 4 nights booked in Interlaken from the 28 Apr until 2nd May 2017.

We are keen to see as much as possible but are on a very tight budget. Could you help us with what to see locally (1 hour radius drive from interlaken)

The cost of public transport is extremely high. We don’t mind driving but understand that we may miss a lot of beautiful areas by doing so . Any suggestions on the best way we can combine driving and what pass would suit us for 1 or maybe 2 day trips? Half day trips?

What trips would you recommend with a 5 year old? I know he would love a chocolate factory or similar. We enjoy scenery, coffee whilst watching the world go by, and relatively short walks (1-2 hours). He would love the train, boat and cable cars but I think these may be out of our budget. I’m not sure.

I have read that a lot of towns s are closed this time of year and the weather unpredictable.

At the end of our visit we will be heading to Disneyland so don’t mind a relatively relaxing visit at Switzerland but also don’t want to miss out either.

Any information or advice would be amazing!

Thanks in advance,

Katie.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 February 2017 at 20:20:24 #858744

Hi Katie-

Here is a start and some things to think about.

In the Jungfrau region, the most scenic regions are car free. Once you to get to Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, or perhaps Stechelberg, and look up at the mountains around, you will need to use public transport to get to them.

The costs are very different for the different parts of the transport lines. In an oversimplified description – if you go from town to town, it is relatively cheap public transport, so to go from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is cheap. Go further up to Kleine Scheidegg and it gets expensive; that is an excursion line.

This map can help you understand the lay of the land, and if you zoom in you can see the train and cableway lines:

map.search.ch/.en.html ?pos=640896,165088&z=16

and

map.search.ch/.en.html ?pos=634216,168272&z=64 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,parkhaus,zug

<<I have read that a lot of towns s are closed this time of year and the weather unpredictable.”>>

The weather in the Alps is unpredictable at any time of the year. The Alps make their own weather. However, forecasts are good for about 24 hours or so. The weather comes in layers…it may be clear on high and cloudy in the valleys, for example. The attached image taken from Wengen shows the Lauterbrunnen Valley on a clear day.

The mountain villages or towns are not closed. Simply put, Winter is still hanging on, Spring does not come until mid-June at the higher altitudes, the snow is not good for skiing, and there are no customers, so many hotels and restaurants close in the mountain villages. Many stay open. Cableways tend to be closed for maintenance and open on about May 25. But, even if you could ride the cable car (die Luftseilbahn) up from Wengen to Männlichen, for example, you could not hike because the trail would be closed due to snow remnants and the chance of snow slides blocking some or most of the trails.

Interlaken will be busier, but it hasit is a busines and travel hub, not a really scenic destination.

Have you considered Luzern?

It is at lower altitude, some lake boats will be running, it will be warmer, and snow will likely be there on the nearby mountains, but the lower places will be snow free, probably.

The transport museum might interest your child..

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Driving a car in Switzerland is not cheap if you go into the cities. The large parking garage at the main station costs about 50 CHF for a 24 hour stay, and most hotels ( expect the luxury ones) don’t have car parks.

How will you drive from Italy? Many routes, but not all, will be blocked by snow until early or mid-June. Make sure you buy the Swiss windshield sticker (carnet) at the border to use the express highways, or else you will pay a healthy fine.

The timetable can help you understand some of the travel options in the Bernese Oberland near Interlaken

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

This link, though oriented toward trains travel, may give you some ideas what to explore near the Jungfrau:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Chocolate-

http://www.interlakentravel.c om/swiss-chocolate-factory-tour/

http://www.schuh-interlaken.ch/en/conte nt/chocolatier-schokoladen-show

Check for opening hours.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2017 at 22:29:24 #858745

Oh my goodness. Thank you for you thorough reply. I am very grateful.

I will look into every point made and do more research. Thank you.

I must say I am alarmed and concerned at the prospect of not be able to drive to interlaken from Italy? If this is not possible then we need to re consider our itinerary. We are not in a financial position to find ourselves paying out for unexpected hotels / alternative routes/ expensive rail routes etc. We are aware that we need to buy a ‘vignette’ ( I think that’s what it’s called!) But we can’t find ourselves in the predicament with a child.

Please can you emphasise the road closures. We’d be coming from Lake garda and would just use sat navigation or Google maps to guide us to interlaken. ( we’ve paid in full )

tthanks

Kate

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 February 2017 at 23:14:38 #858746

<<“I must say I am alarmed and concerned at the prospect of not be able to drive to interlaken from Italy? If this is not possible then we need to re consider our itinerary.”>>

No worry. You can do it. I just was trying to understand what route you chose.

Some passes are not open. The Gotthard will be, with a long stinky tunnel.

Please tell us what Google maps says to you at this moment for your planned route

Some might involve car trains across some of the passes. Best way to understand it is to hear your ideas and discuss them, considering the time of year.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 9:39:44 #858747

Hi Kate and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Don’t worry, you will be able to drive to Interlaken, its just the high mountain passes will be closed. In Switzerland there are many tunnels to get you there however!

Take a look at our driving in Switzerland page with more traffic information and other details for you.

Here also is you Interlaken page with details on what to see and do in the area.

Listed there are boat trips and mountain trips nearby. The boats just start operating in late April / early May.
    Jungfraujoch is quite spectacular but might be out of your budget? Schilthorn is also quite popular.

As for train passes you may want to look at the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass for the adults – if your child is still 5 at time of travel they will be free. If they are over 5 they can still travel free when using the Swiss Family Card.

The STP will cover all trains, boats and buses in Switzerland except for some excursion trips like Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn where it offers 25% or 50% off the ticket cost.

All the best for your trip, let me know if you have further concerns or need clarification!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 18:54:01 #858748

Thank you for taking the time to reply. This would be our journey plan. Do you think we will be ok?

Thanks Katie.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 February 2017 at 13:39:25 #858749

Hi Katie,

I can’t see the details on that map, but I assume it suggests to take the Gotthard tunnel, not the pass road. So that’s fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 19:00:45 #858750

Lake Garda

Get on A4 in Castenedolo from SS45bis

33.6 km

Continue on A4. Take A9 and A2 to Lindenallee in Interlaken, Svizra. Take exit 26-Interlaken-Ost from A8

385 km

Follow Lindenallee to your destination

1.1 km

Interlaken

Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 10:06:47 #858751

Hi KatieWatie,

Yes, that route will take you through the tunnel. It is the fastest route to Interlaken for you (note there are tolls).

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Drive from Italy to Interlaken for 4 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.