4 nights in Lucerne and Geneva in January

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2020 at 21:26:23 #824988

Hi all!

I will be travelling to Switzerland this weekend. My 3rd trip to Switzerland. Travelling Solo. Arriving in Zurich and departing at Geneva.

I really appreciate some advice or suggestion. Initially i planned to spend 2 nights in Lucerne and 2 in Vevey. However i got to know the CGN boat cruises are closed IN winter except sunday. I have previously stayed in Vevey and doing the boat cruise is my favourite thing to do. Hence i am a bit lost where or what to do. It will be easier to stay at 1 place for 4 nights (eg Lucerne). Visit mt titlus, do boat cruise.

i been travelling Prague and Austria past 12 days and Switzerland is the last part of my trip. Seen many castles, museums and long day trips. I am feeling quite exhausted and like to just stay at one base. Appreciate any kind suggestions. Fyi, i love gondolas, boat cruises amd short trips to towns. Hergiswils looks nice but the boats dont operate on weekdays also. Thank you for any suggestion.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 January 2020 at 22:44:13 #928653

Hi janeheidi,

Lucerne is a good base to explore Lake Lucerne on boat. The ferry services run all year but much more frequently in summer. The cruise starts from the Lucerne pier not far from the train station and calls at selected towns/ villages along the lake before making its way back to Lucerne. Choose from a single or a round trip, you can even opt for a combination of cruise and mountain or sightseeing excursion. For example, you can take the ferry to Bürgenstock and then take the funicular to the Bürgenstock resort for a 360 degree panoramic view of the lake. From here you can also do a short hike to the Hammetscwand lift. Another example: take the ferry to Beckenried, then switch to the gondola to Klewenalp, a local mountain popular for skiing.

Have a look at this link for more cruise and excursion ideas: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakelucerne

In addition to boat trips, you can also do day trips to Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis by train.

It takes 3 hours to get to Geneva from Lucerne. If you have an early flight out to catch, I would highly recommend leaving the day before and spending the night in Geneva. If you leave early you could probably squeeze in a short tour of the city. Details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/geneva

Regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2020 at 0:40:30 #928654

Hi janeheidi-

There is good lake boat service on Lake Lucerne year round. More in the summer, of course.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/timetable-fares/timetable/

Pick the correct season.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2020 at 0:41:58 #928655

<<“From here you can also do a short hike to the Hammetscwand lift. “>>

Not till May. ;-(

The Felsenweg is usually not open until late Spring.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 2:03:02 #928656

Luzern is a great city to “chill”.

What time do you need to be at Geneva Airport or catch the TGV? Can you make it there in time from Luzern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2020 at 21:26:11 #928657

Dear all,

Thank you all for yr kind suggestions. My return flight to Geneva is at 7pm, i will leave lucerne 1pm. Will do a small trip in the mrng somewhere nearby.

Today, 28th Jan Mt titlus rotair was closed. And sadly could not do the ice flyer, n the rotation cable car and the suspension bridge. After lunch in Mt titlus i went down to tale a ferry to Weggis and went to Mt rigi. Was nice. Took cog wheelntrain up and took cable car down.

Tomorrow 29th Jan, i planned to do Mt pilatus and saw from SBB website the cable car is closed for tomorrow becose of the weather. Its a pity i bought Tell pass for 4 days and could not put to good use esp for Mt titlus and Mt Pilatus.

Not too sure what to do tomorrow though. Tks all

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2020 at 7:01:13 #928658

Hi Janeheidi,

I am sorry that you have bad luck with the weather. I hope you can find some other good activity for today. There are already a few answers for you at your other thread at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/what-other-sightseeing-to-do-with-tell-pass-winter.

I wish you all the bests,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘4 nights in Lucerne and Geneva in January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.