4 nights itinerary Jungfrau and Blausee

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 13:17:59 #813774

Hello experts,

My husband has booked a spontaneous trip, we land in Paris on 24th December and fly out of Zurich on 1st JAn2018. It is our first trip and We have NO experience in Switzerland and Paris. I love to do all my research and plan trips at ease but this has barely left me with any time.

Our tentative plan is to stay 4 nights in Paris and four nights in Switzerland..

Switzerland is way too beautiful and has so many options that we are confused. Should we base ourselves at one of the places and do day trips? We need to be in Zurich on 31st as our flight is on 1st early morning. So that leaves us to 3 nights somewhere plus one night in zurich.

We are not interested in any winter sports. We would love the natural beauty, mountains and landscapes with maybe shorts hike and soak in the culture and feel of that place. Zermatt looks beautiful but not in our budget at all. We understand its the holiday season and Switzerland is an expensive country

Please help with any advice on area so that we can concentrate on that and do our hotel bookings.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 17:46:24 #872581

Hello saakshi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

How nice: Paris and Switzerland. Please find herewith some tips for Switzerland.

If you love natural beauty and mountains, I suggest to have a look at the Jungfrau region. Interlaken is the central town, and a good choice if you want to explore the area. Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen are more beautiful.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your trips. For other ideas of what to do in Switzerland click here.

I hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 18:15:21 #872582

Hi Chantal!Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I was looking at Interlaken, till a friend mentioned Brienz as an option. Is it a good base?

TIA

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 18:37:59 #872583

You’re welcome saakshi.

Brienz is nice. From there you can still visit the Jungfrau. Plus, it’s ideal for boat trips too. You will have a nice time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 19:10:54 #872584

Thanks a lot Chantal for such prompt replies. So we stick to Breinz ? Will boat rides be available that time of the year? the picture i have in mind is of snow covered village and swiss chalets ( we never get to see snow in the part of India i stay, hence the excitement!)

Can i cover brienz, blausee, Interlaken , Jungfrau and adelboden with this as base?Sorry for so many questions!

TIA

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 20:15:10 #872585

Boat trips on Lake Brienz are unfortunately not available in winter. Sorry, I forgot about that. There is however one cruise a day running on Lake Thun. I’ve planned one myself.

If you are planning to visit Blausee (and Adelboden) it might be more convenient to stay in the little village of Spiez on the south shore of Lake Thun. Your are much closer to Blausee from Spiez and travel time from Spiez to Jungfrau is about the same as from Brienz to Jungfrau.

Bear in mind that there might be no snow (or just a little) in the villages along the lakes. If you want to stay in a village covered by snow, you’ll have to go up in the mountains, to the villages as per my first response.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 December 2017 at 2:29:57 #872586

Hi Chantal-

I was aware of winter travel on the Thunersee:

<<“http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-winter-2017-2018.pdf?la=en&vs=1">>

As far as I can tell, there are no boat trips on the Brienzersee in late December/early January.

I hope that you can correct me if missed something.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 7:48:41 #872587

You’re absolutely right Slowpoke. No boat trips on the Brienzersee around that time of the year. I totally forgot about that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 15:30:22 #872588

Thanks a lot for your help Chantal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 4:54:02 #872589

I finally decided on Wengen for three nights. As per my budget – i booked Alpenruhe Kulm.
    We will leave Paris on 28th morning and take a train to Basel and then change trains to Interlaken and again to Wengen. Looking at 7:30 morning train from Paris. I assume by the time we reach Wengen it will be 1-2 pm ??

Wondering what we can do on Day 1 – as the daylight time is short and sun would set by 4:30 pm. Maybe go to Interlaken or just explore wengen ?

Day 2 – if the weather is clear,we take the mountain train to Jungfrau, get an early start, and on the way back down stop i in Lauterbrunnen.

Day 3- Try the Murren/GImmelwald/ Schilthorn and back to wengen (any posiibility for a small walking trail? )

Day 4 – we are in no hurry to reach zurich. Have booked a hotel near airport to catch the flight. Any recommendations ( travelling with two suitcases)

Any recommendations for Day 3 and 4? any beautiful lakes around wengen. Blausse is too far.

Confused do i need a swiss rail or half ticket. A lot of our itineary depends on the

weather and is around Jungfrau area.

TIA

Saakshi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 6:42:28 #872590

Hi Saakshi,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips and see durations and # of connections.

Yes, with the late arrival the sun will be starting to set so I would probably settle into Wengen and explore the small village.

Hiking in the winter is a little more limited, but something like the walk/hike from Männlichen-kleine scheidegg would be nice.

I would look at Thun and Lake Thun as a reasonably close lake for you to visit.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2017 at 9:47:53 #872591

Hi Saakshi-

I checked the time table that Lucas linked to. I searched Paris to Wengen, with “Basel” in the via box.

It looks like you could take the 0723 TGV Gare de Lyon. You’d get to Interlaken Ost at 1228, after change of trains at Basel and Spiez. You’ll get to Wengen at 1319. The trains from IO into the valley and up on the mountains are slow; some are cograil sections.

Presumably, you will not have a whole lot of luggage. Be glad that you don’t have to transfer at Bern. Not difficult, but a very busy station.

The connection at Basel SBB is only 5 minutes, but you come in on Platform 9 and depart on Platform 10.

The station map shows that those tracks are on the two sides of one platform.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/basel-sbb-station.html

At Spiez, the connection is only 3 minutes.

That is certainly from one side of the platform (track 3) to the other (Track 2). It is a small station.

At Interlaken Ost, you have 7 minutes. You will go from Platform 2 ( the main line track) to Platform 8 ( the narrow gauge line into the valley. The station has some narrow stairs, but you will be going with the flow and that will be enough. The trains into the valley may have two sections…they separate at Zweilütschinen, and one goes to Lauterbrunnen, the other to Grindelwald. Take care to get the right section. You’ll have lots of guidance.

A 12 minute connection at Lauterbrunnen is generous.

As for rail passes, I see that Lucas did not answer that question. I’d ask again. That is a subject on which I am not an expert, and there is a regional pass to consider, as well as the ones that you mentioned.

Normally, I’d guess that the half-fare card is the wrong choice for such a short stay, but it gives a bigger discount for the Jungfraujoch…..which is an expensive trip.

Once you are in the valley, it does take a while to get back out to Interlaken. However, from Interlaken to Bern is a short trip, with frequent trains, if the weather is too cloudy to enjoy the mountains. 52 to 56 minutes. The ones on the hour have no change of trains.

The hike that Lucas mentioned is super. RThe trail may be snow covered. If so, make sure that you have sturdy hiking shoes or boots, and a hiking staff. You can also walk on the valley floor ( Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg), and from Grütschalp to Mürren:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Scroll down for hikes.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 13:52:36 #872592

Thank you so so much Lucas and Slowpoke! you guys are awesome… taking out so much time to help travelers!

i never thought we would have to change so many trains to reach wengen. We would be having two big bags as we will be in Paris for a couple of days. I hope we can make through short transit time, wondering if we should change base to Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen ? I still have an option to change it to Hotel Oberland Lauterbrunnen

I’ve booked train tickets to Basel. I don’t need pre booking for the swiss trains i guess?

Lake Thun and walk/ from Männlichen-kleine scheidegg sounds good

Regards

Saakshi

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2017 at 14:17:28 #872593

<<“i never thought we would have to change so many trains to reach wengen. “>>

You are way back in the mountains. The last trains are smaller and slower….hard to run tracks up and down those mountains.

<<“I hope we can make through short transit time, wondering if we should change base to Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?”>>

The tightest connections are the first ones. As I explained, they are cross platform and easy. The connection up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen is the longest and thus also quite easy. You’ll have enough time at IO, too, although that is the most awkward.

But, In Switzerland, if you miss one train, another will be along shortly.

At Basel, the next one will have a 33 minute connection, just for one example.

If you miss at IO….and they’ll wait for all of the crowd to get on board….the trains leave every 30 minutes and the trip is 20 minutes. Have a tea or coffee.

Of all your options, Wengen is by far the most charming and has terrific views. I’ve attached one I took from Wengen in one June. Sit on the right as your trainmakes the short trip up into Wengen, and you see that view along the valley…if it is clear.

Mürren is also nice, and requires one more train or bus or cableway change than Wengen. A bit harder to get too. Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, in my opinion, are less charming and Lauterbrunnen does not have such good views. Interlaken lacks charm and touristic interest – that is the general opinion on this forum, and I completely agree. It is a good transport hub, though, especially if you are going elsewhere in Switzerland. It has lots of stores.

Stick with Wengen. You have made good choices.

A couple more pictures are attached.

Check this out, too:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2017 at 16:13:38 #872594

<<” I don’t need pre booking for the swiss trains i guess?”>>

Correct.

So, if you miss one, you can catch the next one.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 0:09:43 #872595

Hi Slowpoke and Saakshi

Please note that trains for Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald LEAVE from platform 2 not 8. They separate at Zweilütschinen but there are signs on the carriages as well as the platform so it is easy to find the correct half of the train.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 December 2017 at 2:11:13 #872596

Hi Maggie-

<<“Please note that trains for Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald LEAVE from platform 2 not 8. They separate at Zweilütschinen but there are signs on the carriages as well as the platform so it is easy to find the correct half of the train.”>>

Hi Maggie- thanks for correcting my error. Not sure why I got that wrong, but your answer is very helpful .

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 3:49:59 #872597

Dear Slowpoke and Maggiehorswell

Thank you so much for all the help.Will stick Wengen. Figuring out the rail pass now. Will do the mathematics and get back to you for help.

Regards

Saakshi

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 December 2017 at 8:59:14 #872598

Hi Saakshi-

Please note that the fare that first pops up in the timetable is the fare WITH a half-fare card, as it says. It does that because essentially all Swiss carry a kind of Half Fare card called in sh0rt form a “Halbtax” or “Halbabo.” (For “abonnement.”)

You have to select “To the Checkout” to get the option of no rail pass, or various discount passes.

Also, you will note as you play with the timetable that there are small figures of people beside many train journeys. The indicate average occupancy.

Also, if you select a journey in the timetable to see what journey times are available, for simplicity, only from Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost, you will see that some of the trains go direct to Interlaken Ost without a change at Spiez. If you wish to avoid one change of trains, you could wait at Basel; for that particular type of journey. Those trains are the ones that leave Basel at or close to xx59, and some of the ones that leave at approximately xx30.

Wengen-

I don’t recall if we pointed you to this, but it is an excellent report:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘4 nights itinerary Jungfrau and Blausee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.