Is it worth it to leave Zurich airport for 6 hours

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 12:15:24 #811446

Hi, we are travelling to Switzerland in July and have a 6 hr layover in Zurich. Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do in that time (4.45pm-10.45pm). Is it worth it to leave the airport (may only be for a few hours).

Your assistance is appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 16:15:02 #861740

Hi MaryR,

You could head into town if you like (trains take about 10-14 minutes to downtown). You may have enough time to walk along the main street from the train station (bahnhofstrasse) and see the old town on the other side of the Limmat river.

You can also take tours of the airport if that interests you. Also there are 2 great observation decks to watch planes taking-off and landing (as well as interactive displays).

Finally, you can even rent bicycles and inline skates to enjoy the area near the airport if the weather is good!

Click here for more information about Zurich Airport.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 23:55:14 #861741

Thank you again Lucas for your wealth of information!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2017 at 17:17:50 #861742

Hi Mary –

Luzern is 1 hour and 2 minutes by train ( approx.) every 30 minutes. Trains at XX47 are direct. Trains at xx18 take 5 minutes longer and have a change at Zürich main station.

Depending on your type of flight ( how much time does it add to go through passport control if you are not coming from a Schengen country) or how much time is required at the airport before your departing, it is possible that you could eat by the riverside in Luzern, or walk around the old city for up to 2 hours.

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en/

(Let the pictures scroll through at that website and you’ll see the outside view.)

That would require good luck on your timing- you’d have to catch the 1718 to Luzern (possible if you don’t have passport control) or the 1747 (certain unless there is some kind of unusual delay) and come back on the 2035 from Luzern arriving ZFH at 2147.

If you returned on the 2010, with a change at Zürich, you’d be at ZFH at 2116.

The train station at the airport is very close to the arrival hall or to check in or outbound passport/boarding pass control. map attached. There is convenient luggage storage, but your baggage might be checked through.

The train service is extremely reliable.

I would not hesitate to do it myself, but I know the system.

I definitely would not recommend it to you unless you feel very comfortable about navigating the travel system. It would be an adventure. Definitely not with small children. All signs have English on them, along the route of this trip.

If not, the name Luzern is clear, and the times are in 24 hour clock format. On some signs you might see “Gleis” for “Track.”

The only part that might give pause is a change in Zürich main station, but the signage is clear. It is just that some trains come and go from lower levels; the train to Luzern is always on the main platform. Signs will get you to the right track. Main track level is tracks 3- 18.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-zuerich-hb-plakat.pdf

All that said, Lucas’ suggestions from Zürich are excellent. If you go downtown, there are many trains every hour, taking between 9 and 18 +/- minutes. The Bahnhofstrasse makes a pleasant stroll as far as Paradeplatz, ( about 15 minutes) where you should try to eat at the Zeughauskeller ( just off the plaza toward the river).

http://www.zeughauskeller.ch/ en/home

A walk along the river edge on the southwest bank starting at the Rudolf Brun Bridge (right by the Heimatwerk ( Handikrafts) store is really nice, and you can duck off at the Rathaus Bridge and cut over to the Zeughauskeller in 2 minutes.

This thread has some maps:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/need-help-in-my-planning#cq6cUaDW9mqS6 v8AAFcRTQ

Scroll down to my post on November 10th in that thread.

I’ve also attached some pictures to this thread.

A useful map:

map.search.ch/?pos=683392,247115&z=51 2&poi=bergbahn,gebaeud e,haltestelle,parking, viasuisse,zug

Downtown Zürich would be a lot more relaxing than Luzern, but Luzern is a lot more scenic.

Two pictures from Luzern, both taken within 5 -8 minutes of the train station, are also attached.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is it worth it to leave Zurich airport for 6 hours’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.