Switzerland in 7 days-where to go in late November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 12:08:54 #813538

Hello team,

I will be based in Zurich for 2 weeks from November 13-24 on work..After which, I would like to travel from Nov 25- Dec 1 (7days) to explore the best of Switzerland. However, late November/early December is low season and this means that quite some cable cars and mountain trains won’t be running and also ski season hasn’t started yet either. I would love to see rustic villages spectacularly perched on a cliff in the mountainous region, picturesque streets, panoramic views, pleasant scenery and indulge in cheesemaking center of Gruyères, chocolate offcourse. City visits to Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Thun, Montreux and Geneva are the options. I am really confused as to what all I can cover in a short period. Please could you help. I will be flying out of Zurich on December 2.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 15:59:56 #871138

Hi Pranali,

7 days is a reasonable amount of time to see most of what you want I think.

You are best off splitting your days between the Jungfrau region and Lucerne/Montreux.

For your 7 nights, I would look at maybe 1 or 2 nights in Luzern, 3 or 4 nights in the Jungfrau region (Wengen & Murren probably best fit what you are looking for) and then 2 nights in Montreux / Gruyeres area.

Each town link above has recommended hotels as well as a list of activities and nearby mountains to visit.

To help make your plans to get between towns and mountains use the Swiss railways timetable here.
    As for rail passes to get around, I think your best bet for country-wide travel is the Swiss Travel Pass – but also look into our page on how to choose the best rail pass as well.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 October 2017 at 3:59:19 #871139

Hej,

If you are going to Gruyères to see the cheese you might consider going to the Cailler chocolate operation in nearby (less than 6 kilometres away) Broc. cailler.ch/en/maison-cailler/la-chocolaterie-suisse/

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 October 2017 at 9:52:27 #871140

Just as a side note: the cheese and chocolate factory are included in the Swiss Travel Pass, as well as many other museums.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 7:38:15 #871141

Thank you so much for your inputs Lucas, Peterli and Arno. 🙂 I am working out a possible itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 15:37:11 #871142

Plan on staying in Luzern for 2 nights, 3 nights in Wilderswil and 2 nights in Montreux. But, while looking out for accommodation at the Montreux area, found a really nice place by the lake by at Lugrin. Please advise if its a good option to stay at Lugrin and explore the Chillon Castle, Lavaux, Gruyères and the Chocolate factory or is it a hassle due to the connectivity between trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 17:04:32 #871143

Yes, anywhere on the French side of Lake Geneva is difficult getting around to the Swiss side. I would not recommend it (no train connections).

You can use the timetable (link in my last post) to see the options.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 October 2017 at 18:09:37 #871144

If you really want to stay in Lutrin for a night or two, it would be relatively easy to get over to the Swiss side of the Léman by boat. Évian-les-Bains is only a few kilometres away from Lutrin and from there you can take a boat over to Lausanne-Ouchy. These trips are a wonderful experience and the service is very frequent. Here is the website (in English) of the CGN: http://www.cgn.ch/en-gb/

I should add that if you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass, as suggested by Lucas, travel on these boats is free.

• The thread ‘Switzerland in 7 days-where to go in late November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.