How to reach this Bollywood film location?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 2:17:41 #814243

Hi Swiss team

I am attaching one picture. It’s looks like near Gstaad and saanen . One of Indian film shoot here in 1993. I heard it’s very beautiful village. I will buy swiss travel pass I want to Know this village accessable by train or I have to rent car here or public transportation available here

Thanks

Aman

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 9:34:41 #875586

Hi Aman,

Gstaad/Saanen is reachable by train – but that particular scene I don’t know. The town is on the scenic Golden Pass route between Lucerne and Montreux which is a great way to get to the area.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 February 2018 at 17:07:19 #875587

Hello Aman,

The scene in your clip looks like the typical Indian movie with lovely scenes in mountain settings with clear brooks and fancy cars and girls in amazing dresses. If you provide me the title of the movie perhaps I can dig up something for you.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 February 2018 at 17:09:58 #875588

Another thought. That bridge looks very un-Swiss, certainly not like any bridge I have driven or walked over in Switzerland. Perhaps this is on private property up in a more remote location.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 February 2018 at 17:19:45 #875589

Is the name of this film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaayenge ? It was released in 1995, and stars Kajol Mukherjee and SRKhan, your typical Hindu/Muslim Bollywood romance, and where marriages are arranged by the parents.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 February 2018 at 19:53:33 #875590

Your image is indeed from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge but it has been flipped horizontally. So maybe the attached image, with left on the left and right on the right, will make it easier for Lucas and others to identify the spot. Perhaps that waterfall will help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 20:13:34 #875591

Hi Peteli

You are right this movie came in 1995 . So many beautiful scenery in this . I found locations in Gstaad and saanen . I will buy swiss travel pass 8 days . How I can reach on these locations and if if I want to Tour this town ? Can I rent a cab or Uber work here and I was looking at swiss map looks dotted black line it’s covered by travel pass?

Thanks a lot

Aman

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 February 2018 at 5:13:26 #875592

Hello again,

I have figured out a few things. First, the waterfall is called the Tungelschuss, located about four kilometres to the SSE of Lauenen. The mountain directly behind this waterfall is called the Wildhorn. There is a stream flowing north from the Tungelschuss but because the vegetation along it has probably changed quite a bit in the past twenty three years, I could not find a wooden bridge crossing this stream, called the Louwibach, in the proper orientation. The other possibility is that this bridge is no longer there.

That being said, if you head south from Gstaad on the road to Lauenen, continue south from there to Rohrbrücke and then explore the roads running south from there, you are bound to find the view you are looking for. We are only talking a few kilometres from Rohrbrücke. Check out the attached map, keeping in mind that North is at the top and your photograph is looking mainly to the South.

This is a very pretty part of Switzerland, and no doubt this is why Chopra chose to do part of the film here. I might try a bit more to find the bridge but I am not optimistic. If you hear no more from me on this subject, it is because I have had no luck. Perhaps one of the moderators will know where it is (was).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 10:52:12 #875593

Hi Peter I,

Thanks for giving me lot of knowledge.

Aman

• The thread ‘How to reach this Bollywood film location?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.