Advice on hiking in Bernese Oberland and Engadine

• HenryG
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 February 2018 at 5:19:32 #814338

This is our first trekking trip to Switzerland. My wife and I (mid 60’s) have 15 days available for trekking. We thought that the 2 areas to focus on would be Bernese Oberland (Grindenwald, Wegen, Murren) and Engadine (Sils Maria, Pontresina, Guarda). We like to hike but are not keen on adrenalin rushes. How shall we divide our time between these two regions so we can be efficient in using local transportation?

Any accomodations and hikes that we should not miss! Also is hiring to transfer luggage difficult? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 10:48:37 #876177

Hi Henry, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

When are you planning to come to Switzerland?

We have information about hiking in general in the Swiss Alps on our website here and about accommodation here.

Please check als0:

You could stay one week in each region. It depends a bit on what you would like to do in each region. The information on our website will hopefully help you with selecting the activities.

On this page below ‘More on other websites’ you’ll find a link to the SBB luggage transport services.

Be sure to also check:

HenryG
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 February 2018 at 15:17:39 #876178

We will fly in on July 24 at 5pm to Zurich and leave from Zurich on August 10 at noon. Shall we do Engadine region first ?we want to do as many hikes as reasonably possible in each region Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 17:25:06 #876179

Great. July is excellent for hiking.

The journey to Berner Oberland will be shorter (30 to 60 minutes) from/to Zurich. So you might prefer that when traveling back to the airport.

When you are in Berner Oberland I would suggest you stay in a village like Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren or Lauterbrunnen. To understand how long it takes to get to the airport you can use the Swiss timetable.

HenryG
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 February 2018 at 22:39:51 #876180

Thank you. Your recommended sites and info were very helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 0:36:33 #876181

HenryG– You’re pretty much following the trip that my wife and I (also mid-60s) did this past summer. See my report here dated Aug 1, labeled “Quality Zurich Restaurants.” I’d recommend doing it in the order that we did (first Guarda, then Pontresina, then Mürren)– for one thing, it allows you to acclimate better, and you save the most dramatic scenery for last (although the Engadine also has terrific scenery). We only scratched the surface as to hikes in all 3 locations. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

NTL

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    13 February 2018 at 16:30:55 #876182

Hi Henry G

My wife and I also in our mid 60s have stayed in Wengen and hiked Bernese Oberland area several times and here are some suggestions along with some photos to give you a sample of what you can expect to see.

First to Bachalpsee to Waldspitz(this section is my personal favorite) to Bort, then cable car back to Grindelwald. rated 2.40hrs hiking time without stops

First to Grosse Scheidegg then bus back to Grindelwald rated 1.25hrs

Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg(1.2hrs) then KS to Eigergletscher(1.00hr uphill) train back down to KS to avoid moderate downhill then we walked from KS to Wengernalp(2.0hrs, mod downhill) then train to hotel

The Eiger trail. Eigergletscher to Alpigen(downhill) rated2.50hrs

Lauterbrunnun valley. Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg then back to Lauterbrunnen by bus. Flat easy walk:the rating not given on my map but about 1.5hr as I remember it. Instead of return by bus can take gondolas up to Schithorn and gondola, train ,and cable car back to Lauderbrunnen.

Schnynige Platte. Probably the most stunning views of all. Take the panaramaweg trail from train station. Along the way climb steps to Oberberghorn lookout. The trail is a cliff top walk with Jungfrau,Monch,Eiger,Manlichen, and Lauderbrunnen valley on one side and Brienzersee, Interlaken, and Thunersee on the other side. Route rated 2.30hrs.

If your really adventurous and fit. First to Schynige Platte (or reverse route) is classic but strenuous with steep climbs to Faulhorn. Rated 6.30 hrs.

Note hiking times are approximations and don’t include stops. Restaurants with outdoor seating for lunch or a quick beer are available at First,Waldspitz,Grosse Scheidegg, KS.,Alpigen,Schynige Platte, and Stechelberg.

We found Wengen to be a good base. Its more scenic than Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and more convenient than Murren for connections to hiking trails. Mark

HenryG
    Participant
    6 posts
    24 February 2018 at 20:35:09 #876183

Dear Marki,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable info. Do you have any recommendations for lodging in Wengen or Murren?

Thanks,

HenryG

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    24 February 2018 at 22:40:42 #876184

Hi Henry

We have eaten lunch in Murren but never stayed overnight there. We stay at the Beausite Park Hotel in Wengen several times and liked it very much. The accommodations and food is very good in my opinion. We don’t usually get the half board but the views, food, and convenience of eating at Beausite’s restaurant makes it a good choice for us.

For other reviews and to check out other hotels you might want to check out the hotel reviews on TripAdviser.com. But be sure and change the filter from the default “best deals” to “highest rated”.

In my opinion, the views from Wengen and Murren are equally beautiful but except for traveling to Schilthorn, Wengen is quite a bit more convenient. Mark

• The thread ‘Advice on hiking in Bernese Oberland and Engadine’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.