A tad “on” the beaten path, part 6, Wengen & First

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 18:35:55 #813054

We checked our bags in at Victoria Lauberhorn just across the street from the train station in Wengen. Changed clothes to shorts and took off for the Mannlichen lift. I have wanted to do the Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike for about 20 years and FINALLY was going to do it. We did see chamonix (??) on the cliffs on the way up.

The hike was wonderful even though Eiger was in and out of the low clouds. The views of the Grindelwald Valley took our breath away. It still looked sunny up on Jungfraujoch when we arrived at Kleine Scheidegg so we went for it and bought tickets up to Jungfraujoch. No problem getting a ticket at between 2 and 3 in the afternoon that day.

We explored a number of things on top…but just seeing the glacier was outstanding. There was ice falling from the Sphinx. We visited the ice cave and the plateau … thank you for the warnings that it would be slippery…it was…even with our hiking poles. Bought chocolate at the Lindt store. We spent about 2 hours on top. Took the train all the way down to Wengen and went looking for pizza again.

DeSina’s Pub!!! How beautiful it is, inside and out with all the flowers. Food and wine were grand. We actually ate there both nights in Wengen…but no pizza the second night. We walked to the Evangelical Reformed Church with the incredible view down the valley to watch the sunset…one of my most favorite places in all the world.

Next morning we headed up Mannlichen early, then down the long gondola to Grindelwald Grund. A bus stop is right at the base and we took the bus to the stop on the main street for the gondola up to First. Did the thrill walk which was fun.

We did the hike to Bachalpsee…and I still just sit here in awe of how beautiful it was. We packed a lunch and found a bench to sit with the mountains in front of us. They were so crisp and white against the deep blue sky.

We found where the hang gliders take off from First and just sat and watched them for over an hour. Each one was different and the path they chose…some came extremely close to the end of the thrill walk’s platform, and some looked like for sure they were going into the trees (but didn’t).

Went back down into Grindelwald, caught a bus to the train station and took the train up to Kleine Scheidegg and then Eigergletscher. It was a gorgeous hike back down to Kleine Scheidegg. The views across the valley to Murren were extraordinary.

Our eyes were full. Such incredible beauty.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 8:42:45 #868844

Thanks again for sharing these two wonderful days with us! Enjoyed it very much.

Alpenrose

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    23 August 2017 at 16:10:00 #868845

I am curious if you prefer Murren or Wengen? And why?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 20:47:15 #868846

Hi Vlasta, Good question.

Before this trip I would have said Murren…it is smaller, you can see the big mountains right across the valley that seem so close. But it depends on what all you want to do. If you just want to do activities in the Lauterbrunen Valley and on the Murren side, then I still like the quieter Murren Village. But if you plan to do those things plus things on the Wengen/Grindelwald side, including Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfrau, then Wengen makes more sense as it is closer.

I had never stayed in Wengen before but had stayed in Grindelwald (40 years ago when it was much, much smaller) and in Murren within the last 10-ish years.

I wanted my husband to experience them both.

so, just like most everyone else on the forum, it depends…

OhGeologist

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    23 August 2017 at 20:52:00 #868847

We have only stayed in Murren though many prefer Wengen. We still went to jungfrau , Thun, etc.from Murren. It was not a problem. Perhaps Wengen next trip. Any place in Switzerland is wonderful. Thanks for the reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 5:22:27 #868848

Hi Vlasta,

>> Perhaps Wengen next trip

If you think you might like to stay in Wengen some day, you might be interested in my post of Feb 14, 2017 – 3:22, and the one after it, on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/accommodatio ns

It is about the Hotel Bellevue, and includes some photos.

Alpenrose

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    24 August 2017 at 17:44:53 #868849

Alpenrose, thank you so much. Yes, I want to go there and I will definitely read your post. Vlasta

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 17:12:46 #868850

Pictures from First…Bachalpsee, watching the hangliders on First, and the Eigergletscher Hike – with some great views of Murren across the valley.

OhGeologist

• The thread ‘A tad “on” the beaten path, part 6, Wengen & First’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.