Lauterbrunnen base for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 8:52:50 #814991

Hi,

I will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 2 days only on May 22-23 and plan to do the following 2 itineraries:

Day 1 – Up early morning – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

Down – Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen

ALL TRAIIN

Day 2 – Up Early Morning – Lauterbrunnen – Bus – Stechelberg -Cable-Schilthorn

Return – Schilthorn – Cable – Murren – Hike – Gimmelwald – Cable – Stechelberg – Bus-

Trummelbach Falls – Bus – Lauterbrunnen

Please advise if this is too hectic or can be done at reasonable pace. Am I missing anything in the neighbourhood which is a must.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Also, I will having a Swiss Travel pass . I gather the full Schilthorn trip will be Free.

For Jungfraujoch , can I buy the discounted tickets for Lauterbrunnen –>Kliene Scheidegg —> Jungfraujoch —> Kliene Scheidegg —>Wengen at the start of my journey at Lauterbrunnen ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 15:32:54 #880014

Hi Amalfi, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

This is doable in two days. If you want to plan your trip in more detail, you can use the Swiss timetable.

Schilthorn is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Yes, you can purchase your tickets for Jungfraujoch at the start of your journey.

We’ve listed other activities in the Jungrau region on our webpage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 22:33:36 #880015

Hi Amalfi,

>> Day 1 – Up early morning – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch Down – Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen

This looks like you are going up and coming down the same way, as I see no mention of Grindelwald. Is that your intention?

>> For Jungfraujoch , can I buy the discounted tickets for Lauterbrunnen –>Kliene Scheidegg —> Jungfraujoch —> Kliene Scheidegg —>Wengen at the start of my journey at Lauterbrunnen ?

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, travel is free as far as Wengen or Grindelwald. So your discounted tickets only need to cover the trip between Wengen or Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch– but you can still buy the tickets at Lauterbrunnen.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 11:13:18 #880016

I have read several recommendations here about Jungfraujoch – Going up one Way and coming down the other way. But I think this works better if one is travelling from Interlaken .

Since I will be travelling from Lauterbrunnen where I will be staying, I would welcome some tips on how to cover both Wengen and Grindelwald on my way down ,when I will be more at leisure.

Ideally, I would like to reach Jungfraujoch first thing in the morning as recommended by most. I see from SBB website that there is Direct train from Lauterbrunnen to Kliene Scheidegg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 18:52:22 #880017

Coming from Interlaken won’t affect you taking the other route down from Jungfraujoch if you want to.

In the summer you can take the gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen & to Wengen but it doesn’t start up fully until May 31. The timetable will give you your route options between the towns that are available to you.

On average, mornings can be great – but always wait for the weather forecast on the morning you want to go up and make sure it looks good. The afternoon might be nicer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 5:23:45 #880018

>> will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 2 days only on May 22-23 … I would welcome some tips on how to cover both Wengen and Grindelwald on my way down

Just to add to Lucas’ comments: You can’t really visit both Wengen and Grindelwald on the way down at that time of the year, as they are on different sides of the Männlichen Massif, and the cable cars up one side of the Männlichen and down the other are closed for maintenance between 3 April and 31 May 2018.

To visit both, your best option is to take the train up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen, or vice versa. This can be done from Lauterbrunnen – the Swiss Timetable will give you the route and travel time. I have attached a diagram of the circular route to/from the Jungfraujoch.

My choice would be to go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen, as (in my opinion) Wengen offers better opportunities for a village stroll, and has a wonderful lookout over the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The choice, of course, is up to you!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 5:46:11 #880019

Yes, a much better option. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 8:04:05 #880020

Alpenrose666 – Thanks for the Diagram

It seems that I can change trains midway between Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken and go upt0 Grindelwald and onto Jungfraujoch. Would that station be Zweilütschinen ? The diagram doesn’t mention name of that station. This will save me from going all the way down to Interlaken to catch a train to Grindelwald.

Also,what time does it get dark around 22/23 May ? I will be reaching Lauterbrunnen at 15:12 and my Hotel Steinbock is apparently next to the Cable Car station to Grutschalp. Can I spend some time to relax in that area ? Worth it ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 8:44:43 #880021

Zweilütschinen is correct.

Also for sunset see http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/@2660253?month=5&year=2018

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen base for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.