Short scenic train journey from Basel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2017 at 7:45:49 #813795

Hi good morning.

I am arriving in Basel at 10am on Saturday 9th December and wish to go on a short (4hr return) scenic train journey from Basel SBB. I want to return back to Basel around 2-3pm so can check into hotel.

My first time in Switzerland so want to see a small sample of the natural beauty the country has to offer. I certainly want to return and do the Alps scenic train journeys very soon, but for now just a short and fairly cheap return to trip from Basel.

Anyone have any suggestions on what route/train/destination is good to explore please? I’m based in London and the holiday is quite last minute. Can I buy tickets online or only at Basel SBB station??

Kindest regards.

Shh83

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 December 2017 at 9:06:27 #872727

Hi Ssh83 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Can you stretch to 4h 30m?

The trip Basel to Lausanne to Basel via Neuchatel will cost you a mere CHF132.

See attached.

If that doesn’t suit you can plot a round trip to anywhere in Switzerland using the Swiss Railway Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable)

ps You can probably drop your bags off at your hotel at 10.00am and do a more extensive tour. How long are you in Switzerland?

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 December 2017 at 10:26:07 #872728

Hello Ssh83,

The route Basel – Lucerne – Schüpfheim – Bern – Basel would be another option of just over 4 hours. The leg Lucerne – Schüpfheim – Bern is the best part (pre-Alps, you won’t have time to reach the “actual” Alps). A ticket costs around CHF 90. A break in Lucerne and Bern would be worth it, but requires at least 1.5 hours in each town.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2017 at 10:37:43 #872729

Hi Rockoyster and Arno,

Thank you kindly for your recommendations!!

The train timings on Rockoysters route don’t allow for much unknown delay between connections. Are trains on schedule and efficient in Switzerland? Also, what’s the best/ cheapest way to purchase these tickets? Online or at Basel SBB?

I like the idea of pitstopping somewhere to explore etc. Are we committed to getting on specific train time or is there a bit of flexibility on the route to play it by ear?

Plan is to get on a train at around 12 noon if we can ditch bags in hotel first. Happy to get back to Basel for 5/6pm and check out the market and main square etc.

We are in Basel for just one night, explore the town and Christmas market. Arrive 10am Sat, depart 9pm Sun.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 December 2017 at 11:25:55 #872730

Hi Sandeep,

This page will be useful I think: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel

Trains in Switzerland are very efficient, flexible (no need to book seats) and mostly on time. There’s not much of a price difference between buying a ticket online or at the station, if any. The standard prices are in the timetable Rockoyster referred to (read the explanation on that page before checking prices). You’ll also find retailers here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. Another option is a Saver Day Pass, but be aware of its limitations before buying: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2017 at 11:44:31 #872731

Amazing. Thank you very much.

Can I ask how /which website RockOyster used to generate the detailed train timetable with stop overs?

Maybe I’m being daft, but can’t seem to find the same itemisation ?!

Thanks in advance

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 December 2017 at 17:24:39 #872732

Hi Sandeep,

The timetable Rockoyster used can be accessed via the Advanced timetable on http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable (this page also explains how it works). Once you see the travel options listed, keep clicking the plus (+) icons to drill down into the details. Rockoyster used the previous version of this timetable (with up to date schedules though), so it looks slightly different, but I’d recommend to get familiar with the current version.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 December 2017 at 20:13:16 #872733

Hi Sandeep,

If you happen to find it is a nice sunny day in Lucerne you can be enjoying the views at the top of Mt Pilatus (http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus) in a little over 2 hours from Basel.

See attached.

Let us know how you go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2017 at 23:08:36 #872734

congratulations on your 1000th post Rockoyster!!!

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 December 2017 at 23:57:34 #872735

Why, thank you Maggie. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2017 at 8:15:39 #872736

You made it with weeks to spare ;-D

Congratulations! I can feel you snapping at my heels already 😉

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 December 2017 at 9:00:38 #872737

Thanks Maestro. 🐶🐶 . . . Trying, but will never catch up. Well not until my second trip to Switzerland at least.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 1:54:08 #872738

Bonjour rockoyster –

(Helping you get ready for your next trip on the French side).

Made the numbers. That is a start. What is your position about the quality of your efforts? 😉

Any room for improvement as you overtake Alpenrose? Or, have you reached your peak?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 2:02:44 #872739

Hi Sandeep-

<<“The train timings on Rockoysters route don’t allow for much unknown delay between connections. Are trains on schedule and efficient in Switzerland?”>>

You are edging into dangerous grounds. 😉

The Swiss are incredibly proud of the amazing train service, on time results, and efficient connections.

These day, there is much public consternation over the fact that trains in rush hours near the major cities may be 5 or even 6 minutes late. Sometimes.

Just joking a bit, of course, but they are extremely reliable. And, since your ticket is good for a day on the selected route, you can hop on and off, or miss a connection and catch the next one. Between major cities, there are generally trans every half-hour. From essentially all stations, there are trains once per hour.

Enjoy!

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 2:19:38 #872740

HI Sandeep-

<<“We are in Basel for just one night, explore the town and Christmas market. Arrive 10am Sat, depart 9pm Sun.”>>

It would take approximately 3-4 days to explore the Basel Christmas market. It is a big one. So, you will only get a sample. 😉

A look at the Tinguely water sculpture is worthwhile…5-8 minutes walk from the train station – if it is running in the winter.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/tinguely-fountain-basel.html

http://www.basel.com/en/Media /Attractions/Sightseei ng/Tinguely-Fountain

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 December 2017 at 2:27:57 #872741

Howdy (or should I say Здравствуйте) Slowpoke,

I could not possibly presume to take a position on the quality of my humble contributions. That is for others to judge. One simply tries one’s best. I have long since given up trying to emulate Alpenrose. He is in another league.

Which if I was to translate into Australian would come out something like “go bite yer bum”! 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 2:36:05 #872742

Добрый вечер, here in the USA. Maybe Доброе утро down under.

Continuous improvement is the hallmark of a conscientious and caring craftsperson.

Sorry that you were unable to summon more more refined language in your reply.

Clearly an area for future improvement. Actually, a clear response to my question, with a good demonstration of a place to focus.

Well done.

Have another Foster’s before the day gets to you.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 3:29:23 #872743

Steady on you two 😉

>> I could not possibly presume to take a position on the quality of my humble contributions. That is for others to judge. One simply tries one’s best.

I certainly view your contributions as helpful and valuable to those you have responded to. It’s clear you put quite some time into many of your responses, researching routes and timetables and often coming up with quite inventive options to assist people make decisions about how to organise their trip. I’ve picked up quite a few good ideas from you myself!

Apart from the owners and official moderators of the forum, there aren’t that many regular contributors, so I think it’s great when people decide to stick around after their trip and assist others. Here’s to the next 1,000 from you!

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 11:40:33 #872744

Hi Rockoyster-

Although I got a “;-)” into my first comment, somehow I missed putting a couple into my last post.

Here they are now:

😉 and 😉

Please take my comments to be in jest, with an inadequate attempt to equal the samples of Aussie humor you’ve provided.

You are indeed, more diligent with the schedules than I , and it is very useful to post screen grabs.

Keep it up!

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 December 2017 at 22:18:26 #872745

Pax Slowpoke,

In any event I’m much more of a cool-climate Tasmanian Pinot Noir kind of guy.

I don’t even know anyone who drinks Foster’s (en.m.wikipedia.org/wik i/Foster%27s_Lager) and have not seen it on tap in a Pub since I was last in Earls Court. 👍🏻

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2017 at 22:58:59 #872746

<<” 1017 posts

top member

Dec 10, 2017 – 10:18 PM in reply to Slowpoke

<<“

I don’t even know anyone who drinks Foster’s (en.m.wikipedia.org/wik i/Foster%27s_Lager) and have not seen it on tap in a Pub since I was last in Earls Court.”>>

We get Foster’s here in huge cans….Not sure who buys them, but they move off the shelf. Visit us in Connecticut sometime if you want to try some. 😉

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Short scenic train journey from Basel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.