Bernina Express from Lugano & back in 1 day

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 6:23:37 #869291

Hi pooja,

>> I want to know about tissot first cliff walk in Grindelwald … Heard from other tourists about the cliff walk.is it too scary?

If you don’t have a problem with heights, it is exciting rather than scary. It is perfectly safe. The walkway has a metal-grille surface, which you can see through, and handrails. There is a slight decline at the start, then the rest is level, and there are no steps. You do have to duck a little to get round one or two rocky outcrops. It only takes about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace, and you can return the same way.

>> cost? ( I have 8 days swiss Travel pass consecutive)

The cliff walk is free. The bus in Grindelwald is free with the Swiss Travel Pass and you get 50% off the gondola from Grindelwald to First.

>> special precautions?

None.

>> How to reach?

Starting from Grindelwald railway station, walk up the main street (Dorfstrasse) for 10 minutes or so, or else get Bus #121, #123 or #128 to the bus stop called “Firstbahn” (second stop from the station). From the bus stop, cross the road and walk a short distance uphill along a lane between shops to the First gondola valley station.

The start of the cliff walk is adjacent to the restaurant terrace at the top station of the gondola. There are two mid-stations before you get to the top: Bort and Schreckfeld, but you can stay in the same gondola all the way.

>> can I manage it with Jungfrau in one day?is it possible to do the cliff walk and then continue train journey to to Jungfrau top?

Yes, but if I were you, I would go to the Jungfraujoch first if the weather is clear in the morning. If you leave it until the afternoon, you might find the clouds have rolled in and blocked out the views – so that will be the end of that!

I suggest you go up to Jungfraujoch in the morning via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen, and return via Grindelwald. If you catch the 13:13 or 13:43 trains down from Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald, that should give you enough time to spend 1-1.5 hours up at first. The last gondola down from First is at 17:30.

You can plan in detail with the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I have attached some photos of the cliff walk taken in September and December last year.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 September 2017 at 6:35:28 #869292

” . . . exciting rather than scary” you say. I’ll take your word for it. Great photos Alpenrose.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 7:14:22 #869293

>> . . . exciting rather than scary” you say. I’ll take your word for it.

LOL!

>> Great photos Alpenrose.

Thanks! Shame about the brown grass instead of beautiful snowy landscapes in December though 🙁

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 16:57:01 #869294

Thanks a ton Alpenrose.So far the trip has been beautiful and as I expected except Mr.Rigi…except for the train ride up from Arth goldau to Rigi Kulm and down to Vitznau I wasn’t too impressed.

I must thank you,Lucas and Rockoyster for the successful trip.My husband is talking about travel museum which I think is somewhere near or in Luzern and a watch museum in Bern.Are they worth visiting?I only have couple of hours to spare tomorrow . Staying in Luzern and planning pilatus starting early from hotel at 7.30 am and have to be in Interlaken west by evening.Cani make anyone of these two if worth the time?

Thanks once again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 17:09:04 #869295

Glad your trip is going well!

I wouldn’t venture off to Bern, but the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne is worth a trip if you feel you have the time after Mt. Pilatus.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 2:36:57 #869296

>> I got my swiss pass today but passport number written is wrong.

Now that you have completed your trip, it would be interesting to find out what happened regarding the incorrect passport number on your Swiss Travel Pass! This problem is brought up in the forum from time to time, so it would be useful to know how things turned out for you.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 8:35:20 #869297

Hi,

Happyrail.com was willing to cancel the pass and give 85% amount in return and offered to book another pass but since I had no time and did not want to take any chance.There was no problem with the pass throughout the journey as no one asked for passport. Only once I was asked for my identity card which i did with my driving license.

So no issues.Not only the train system but overall I was awed by the beauty,specially lush green grass natural carpets.So beautiful.

About the hotels I think they are far more expensive than UAE hotels but Switzerland overall is expensive comparatively .I could travel on Bernina,Gotthard,Golden pass scenic trains.I could go to Mt.Titlis,Mt.Rigi,Pilatus,Jungfraujoch, swiss transport museum,lake Lugano boat trip to Porlezza,Schynige Platte and a bit of city tour in Luzern.Could not manage Cliff walk as weather wasn’t good…:(

Overall a very successful and satisfying trip.

Booked tkts for trip to Iceland next month but not able to get any similar forum which helps so well in planning trips.Not able to plan properly…any help for Iceland?…:)

Thanks a ton once again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 9:09:28 #869298

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 9:33:25 #869299

Hi Pooja64,

Thanks for the update – glad to hear your trip went well!

Sorry, can’t give you any help for Iceland – Switzerland only here!

I’ve been there a couple times now and will warn you that costs are comparative to Switzerland – another expensive country. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express from Lugano & back in 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.