Trip report Bernina Express St Moritz to Poschiavo

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 12:45:32 #813300

So we did make it on the Bernina Express that day, but did not go to Chur went to St Moritz instead. It was late by the time we decided to go and the trains from Chur had left by then. Since we had a rental car, we took the opportunity to drive around a bit and take the train from St Moritz instead. Have to say that it was a good decision indeed – the weather did clear up a lot by the afternoon and we were able to enjoy the views.

Couple of learnings from the trip:

1. Need to make a reservation for the Bernina Train. I purchased tickets on the SBB Mobile App and it was not very clear how to reserve the seats (but don’t get me wrong, apart from this one minor glitch I absolutely love the SBB app). Since we didn’t have reservations, we had to go to the very first compartment which didn’t have the panoramic windows or the better seats. That was initially a bummer till we found out that the windows could be rolled down. Aha – great views and pictures!

2. We actually got down at Poschiavo and took a regional train back to St Moritz. Figured out that the regional trains are equally good on this route, just that they travel a bit faster (or so it seemed). Cant comment much about the windows since in our case we got better viewing area on the regional train windows compared to the non-reserved compartment on the Bernina

3. Parking meters at St Moritz station don’t work that well. We were unable to add time on the meter and even the locals couldn’t figure out how to do it. Thankfully we didn’t get a ticket or worse the car wasn’t towed.

4. Weather in Switzerland changes very dynamically. Plans need to be dynamic / flexible.

But all in all, a great day, super ride and excellent views! Thanks again for all your help and advice during our trip. This forum rocks!

Here’s a picture I took on my trip: 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 September 2017 at 17:48:20 #869969

Thanks for posting your trip report here Vineeth! I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your day. You have surely experienced one of the best train routes in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Trip report Bernina Express St Moritz to Poschiavo’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.