Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 2:05:42 #813096

I am planning for trip for 8 days from 7th till 14th Oct

Passes and dates-

Tellpass 4 days – 7 oct till 10 Oct

Jungfr day pass – 11 oct till 12/13th

Schedule:

7oct – reach Zurich at 8am get sorted by 11am and leave for Lucerne + Rigi gold (staying at Lucerne)

8oct – Mt titlis (staying at Lucerne)

9oct- pilatus and Stanserhorn (staying at Lucerne)

10oct – golden pass to interlaken and ?? (staying at Interlaken)

11 oct– Jungfr (staying at Interlaken)

12oct- mt first+wengen (staying at Interlaken)

13oct- travel back to Zurich and Rhine falls (staying at Zurich)

14oct – fly back

Questions–

1. can I go for Rigi trip on 7th oct

2. from wher do I buy the Jungfr Passes

3. Do we get Jungfr pass for 2 days as well?

4. What all things can I do or view on titlis we are travelling with a kid

5. pilatus and Stanserhorn is it doable? Alos which do I do first and also which way is the best?

6. Please suggest me if I can view sometihng around Lucerne and take the last golden pass train at 3pm to interlaken OR should I take the morning train and go to Harder Kulm

7. for 12 oct can you suggest me places to visit in wengen and surrounds

8. Should I go to schilthorn on 13oct and then take the later train to Zurich or should I for Rhine falls trip?

9. The passes which I have chosen are ok ?

10. Can I include or replace Brienzer Rothorn trip with anything

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 6:25:15 #869051

Hi Anushrim,

1. Yes, you probably have enough time that day for Mt. Rigi – last trip back is at 20:00 (use the timetable for exact timings
    2. You can buy the Jungfrau Travel Pass online here and have it emailed to you. It comes as a voucher that you need to redeem at a train station for the actual pass.
    3. No, the Jungfrau Travel Pass is for at least 3 days
    4. You can read about what to do at Mt. Titlis on our page here.
    5. Yes, you can do both mountains in one day. I think Mt. Pilatus is more impressive and would prioritize that trip. If you have time you can add Stanserhorn. Use the timetable link above to find the fastest routes for these trips.
    6. I think Luzern is a nice town to explore for a 1/2 day yes – see here. I’m not sure if you personally would enjoy that more than Harder Kulm although you have a lot of mountain trips planned and a city break might be nice?
    7. I’m not sure what you might like to do, but we have some activity ideas for you to read about here.
    8. I think Schilthorn is much more impressive than the RheinFalls so if you have time I would go there.
    9. Yes, either the Jungfrau Travel Pass and Tell Pass or just buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days or the Regional Pass- Bernese Oberland for 8 days, both which get similar savings (not quite as good for some trips) but a bit more convenient in having to buy only one pass. Read about what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. and the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland here.

To know for sure you must plan out your trips and costs and compare the different rail passes. We have a page here to help you do that.

10. If you go early to Interlaken on the 10th you could go to the Brienzer Rothorn or on the 12th instead of First perhaps.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 21:44:58 #869052

Thanks!

2. Cant I but theJungfr pass when I am staying in Interlaken from railway station or any shop?

11. How much does it cost for Train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch. where do I find the price for this on this–

12. In the schedule above for trains from Interlaken Ost.–Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald– here what does o. Grindelwald mean.. what does this o. stand for?

Schedule:

7oct – reach Zurich at 8am get sorted by 11am and leave for Lucerne + Rigi gold (staying at Lucerne)

10oct – golden pass to interlaken and Lucerne city (staying at Interlaken)

11 oct- Jungfr (staying at Interlaken)

12oct- Schilthorn+wengen (staying at Interlaken)

13oct- travel back to Zurich via Brienzer Rothorn (staying at Zurich)

14oct – fly back

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 23:22:42 #869053

13. What does this mean? — First und zurück ab Schynige Platte

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 0:53:44 #869054

14. How much time does it take for the Interlaken –Jungfr top of the world trip…?

15. Is it possible for Interlaken – via Laut.. travel to Jungfr top of the world -Eigergletscher (can we stop here? and then board a train to..cost?) —Kleine Scheidegg- Wengen – Interlaken.. is this doable in a day?

16. I am travelling with a 2 year old plz consider that as well .. are kids allowed in all the travels which I have mentioned?

17. could you suggest some things to do see in Lucerne.. we are staying next to the Jesuit Church

18. When travelling VISA card is better or Master card or doesnt matter when paying using the travel card? do train folks…charge extra when paying using cards?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 3:44:03 #869055

>> 2. Cant I but theJungfr pass when I am staying in Interlaken from railway station or any shop?

Yes, from the railway station.

>> 11. How much does it cost for Train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch.

Full fare return is CHF 122.

>> 12. In the schedule above for trains from Interlaken Ost.–Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald– here what does o. Grindelwald mean.. what does this o. stand for?

“o.” stands for “oder”, which means or””

“Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald” means “Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald”.

>> 13. What does this mean? — First und zurück ab Schynige Platte

“First und zurück ab Schynige Platte” means “up to First and back from Schynige Platte”, i.e. if you go up in the gondola to First, walk to Schynige Platte and come down in the train from Schynige Platte.

>> 14. How much time does it take for the Interlaken –Jungfr top of the world trip…?

You can work this out with the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> 16. I am travelling with a 2 year old plz consider that as well .. are kids allowed in all the travels which I have mentioned?

Nobody will prevent you from taking a young child to high altitudes. It is generally advised to consult your doctor before taking a child under 2 years old to altitudes over about 2,000 metres.

>> 17. could you suggest some things to do see in Lucerne.. we are staying next to the Jesuit Church

This page will help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

>> 18. When travelling VISA card is better or Master card or doesnt matter when paying using the travel card? do train folks…charge extra when paying using cards?

Either is OK when in Switzerland. Visa transactions sometimes fail online. I don’t recall having any surcharges when paying for SBB purchases with a credit card. Some restaurants/hotels/shops might add a surcharge.

If you have any further questions, it would be appreciated if you could write place names out in full and use full sentences so that your meaning is clear. I don’t have time to work out what you mean in Q.15.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 4:09:42 #869056

Thanks heaps!

Sorry .. about Q 15 its habit of texting ..

15. Is it a doable itinerary in 1 day–

Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen .. travel to Jungfrau top of the world –Spend some time there then travel back to –Eigergletscher (can we stop here? and then board a train again after spending some time there, I could find the cost for ticket from Jungfrau to Eigergletscher ) —travel to Kleine Scheidegg spend some time there—- travel to Wengen – Interlaken.. is this doable in a day?

19. In the price chart for Jungfrau when they write Interlaken Ost.–Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen does it mean it cover the train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch as well. as the cost for that is 105CHF.

20. Generally, do the hotels have a microwave in the hotel room?

12. Is that for a return trip

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 6:44:28 #869057

Hi Anushrim,

15. Yes, you can do that in one day – it depends on how long you spend at each stop of course.

19. Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch would be 30.50chf I believe. Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is 105chf (both ticket prices are one-way)

20. No they don’t include microwaves as a rule. Some might.

12 No. See point 19.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 23:19:27 #869058

Thanks for the information.

21. Which one is the better option for a day trip — Aare Gorge and Reichenbach fall OR Lake Brienz + Rotherham. This is the last day of the trip where we want to return back to Zurich.

22. How is the weather during October generally for mountain trip to Jungfrau/ Schilthon, is it very cold? and does it have a history of bad weather during that time? If yes then what all things can we do?

23. Do you have idea about Lycamobile how is the service?

24. travel to Aare Gorge and Reichenbach fall is it included in the SWISS travel PASS? do we have pay anything extra to view it?

25. any recommendation for lunch places in Wengen?

26. For my Jungfrau trip – can I buy the break journey tickets or individual tickets from Interlaken?

27. when we buy tickets do we have to stick to that bus no. or train number or we can board any train going to that destination.for example. When travelling from Zurich airport to Lucerne we need to change trains at 2 stations–If we miss the connecting train can we board the next train(to the same destination) on the same ticket which we bought at the airport or we need to buy another ticket in between where we missed?

28. When we are at Eigergletscher –can we stop here? and then board a train/bus again after spending some time there? Can I do this on the ticket which I will buy from Jungfrau to Kleine Scheidegg ? Is there any ticket shop at Jungfrau, Eigergletscher?

We are planning to buy just the Summer tell pass for 4 days. As rest I calculated is nearly the same we are spending(hope its correct!)

Schedule:

10oct – golden pass to interlaken and Lucerne city (staying at Interlaken)

11 oct– Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen .. travel to Jungfrau top of the world –Spend some time there then travel back to –Eigergletscher (can we stop here? and then board a train again after spending some time there, I could find the cost for ticket from Jungfrau to Eigergletscher ) —travel to Kleine Scheidegg spend some time there—- travel to Wengen – Interlaken (staying at Interlaken)

12oct- Schilthorn (staying at Interlaken)

13oct- …….some place …… and then travel back to Zurich (staying at Zurich)

14oct – fly back

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 1:35:53 #869059

29. When travelling from Interlane to Schilthorn via Grütschalp OR Interlaken Ost – Schilthorn (via Stechelberg 129 CHF) – can we stop in between as in at Stechelberg spend some time there and then board next tarin/bus? or we need to buy different tickets from Interlaken to Stechelberg and then from Stechelberg to Murren…..so on …

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 6:45:11 #869060

Hi Anushrim,

21. Well this is more of a personal choice. I like Lake Brienz and I think you mean the Brienzer Rothorn?

22. Generally it will be very cold in the mountains by October. But it could be sunny – no way to know the weather until closer to your travel date.

23. No, sorry I don’t know about lycamobile. You can read about sim and wifi companies we recommend here: http://www.myswissalps .com/simcard

24. The train to the destinations are covered – please use the PDF map to see all the routes covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. You do have to pay an entrance fee for both areas though – check out their websites for more details.

25. Not from me as I haven’t been there, perhaps another member will chime in with an idea for you. One of our members, Kim, made a great trip report about Wengen and the area though so I’m sure it has some tips you could use!

26. No need to buy individual tickets as you can get off and back on to continue your trip later.

27. Same answer as above. 🙂 The tickets are valid for any train that day

28. Yes, you can get off here and continue later

Have a great trip Anushrim!

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 August 2017 at 6:56:11 #869061

23. You will be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Salt Prepay shop.salt.ch/en/plans/ prepay/

(You need to cancel the pop-up that appears before you see the actual deal – attached).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 21:41:49 #869062

Thanks boys for the information!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 22:42:18 #869063

30. Can I buy the Swiss travel pass from Zurich airport?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 August 2017 at 22:49:56 #869064

30. Yes if you don’t mind a possible queue. Most people find it more convenient to buy on line with electronic delivery and print at home before you leave. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 23:50:53 #869065

The prices online and at Zurich airport are the same? Is it ever that the SWISS travel pass is unavailable? And idea about the counter opening times and accessible from airport?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 5:07:42 #869066

No, the Swiss Travel Pass never sells out. The prices online and at a station will be the same or very close due to exchange rates etc. I find it is always simpler and easier to buy online as it avoids the need to find a station office and wait in line before starting your trip.

You can find a link to Swiss railways website for train station information (opening hours etc) here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:32:24 #869067

Is this railway station -Zurich Oerlikon station close to the Zurich airport one?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:52:13 #869068

Are you looking for staffing times? Look for Zurich Flughafen. Oerlikon is 14mins from the airport (on some trains).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 22:05:01 #869069

Thank You!

31. As I already have too many mountain trips can you suggest which one is better and more do able with respect to natural beauty and weather (I am sure both views might be breath taking) — Mt. Titlis Vs Schilthorn? (PS- I am travelling with 2 year old)

32. Is there any suggestion where can I take my little one ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 5:27:34 #869070

31. I might lean to Schilthorn myself but it is all weather dependent. If the weather is poor on the day you want to go to Schilthorn don’t go and hope the weather is better for Mt. Titlis.

32. In Switzerland? or do you mean Mt. Titlis vs. Schilthorn?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Best rail pass – 8 days Luzern and Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.