Boat trip from Vevey to Yvoire (France)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 17:39:50 #825212

I’ve had a suggestion from someone to take a day to visit Yvoire while we’re staying in Chexbres for a few days late May. It looks like maybe the ferry departs from Vevey? Then I’d have to go to Lausanne, then Nyon then Yvoire? Is that right? Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2020 at 20:23:54 #930137

Get a train to Nyon a boat to Yvoire. See http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakegeneva.

Or just enjoy being in Switzerland. See this trip report.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2020 at 21:34:39 #930138

Or see Spring Timetable at http://www.cgn.ch/media/pdf/Horaire2020.pdf. Scroll through to find Spring/Autumn.

Map attached.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 22:00:20 #930139

Hi Mcguijc,

yes, you can do as you wrote or if you would like to cut down traveling time do as Rockoyster recommended.

The boat trip from Vevey to Lausanne (http://www.myswissalps.com/lausanne) is very nice, going along the coast so you can see from a bit further the Lavaux vineyard (http://www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva). Although if you are staying in Chexbres you’ll see it anyway. Seeing from a boat is just a different point of view. It is up to you which one you prefer.

When we went to Yvoire we traveled to Rolle then we took the boat to Yvoire it takes just around 30 mins. Lausanne-Yvoire takes 1 hr 45 mins according to the timetable.

Actually, it is not really a ferry as it does not take any cars just passengers.

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    14 February 2020 at 3:30:30 #930140

Hello,

Do you have a car to use during your stay in Chexbres or are you relying on public transportation ? If you have a car you could drive as far as Rolle or Nyon and then take the boat over to Yvoire. It is well worth a visit.

That said, I also appreciate Rockoyster’s comment (“or just enjoy being in Switzerland”) as it would be very easy to fill a few days in the area. If you have a nice sunny day, you will not regret taking the boat from Villeneuve all along the shore as far as Lausanne. That is my favourite part of the lake, and seeing everything from out on the water, as Ildiko has suggested, really gives you a different perspective.

i

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2020 at 17:01:34 #930141

We will be relying on public transport the entirety of our trip! We’ll be in Chexbres for approx 3 days, Murren for about 6 and Iseltwald for another 2, so I feel we’ll have a good view of Switzerland! Yvoire was recommended to me instead of a day trip to Broc/Gruyeres, but I’m happy to take other suggestions, too 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2020 at 19:52:05 #930142

Maybe this trip report may (or may not) sway you.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 February 2020 at 3:00:36 #930143

Aha. If this was the choice (Yvoire or Gruyères) I would choose the latter.

However, if I was going to be exclusively in the Léman (Lake Geneva) area for about 11 days, I would most definitely fit in a boat trip over to Yvoire.

• The thread ‘Boat trip from Vevey to Yvoire (France)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.