Can you climb Mt Pilatus in a summer afternoon?

• SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    18 July 2019 at 10:20:10 #822917

Hello,

This forum has helped me a lot during my family vacation 3 years ago and I am hoping to get some help again.

This time I will be in Lucerne alone on a Business Trip and have 0.75 day to spare. I will be flying from India reaching Zuric early morning (6:15am) on Monday, August 5th . Hoping to checkin and refresh at the most by 11am at a hotel in Lucerne.

I am eager to climb Mt Pilatus via Aemsigen, but couple questions:

1. Can I start in the afternoon (around 12 noon) and still manage to get the gondola/cog rail on the way back? When is the last gondola/cog rail? I understand it takes about 5-6 hours.

2. Is it safe to go alone? I assume just like all the trails, this trail is also well marked.

3. If this is not feasible, any alternate trail/hike I can do? Have climbed Mt Rigi in the last trip.

Fitness Level: I have done few high altitude treks (up to 19300 ft) in the Himalayas including Everest Base Camp.

Hoping to get some good advice again.

Thanks

• The thread ‘Can you climb Mt Pilatus in a summer afternoon?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.