Choice of Hotel Wengen -Honeymoon couple 2 – 6 Oct

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 May 2015 at 15:24:03 #842931

Depends on what you are looking for.

Regina is a VERY large and formal hotel that mostly caters to large tour groups.

Sunstar is smaller than Regina, has a spa/pool, large commons area/bar, and also caters to larger groups. But neither will likely be busy with large groups when you are there.

Bären and Edelweiss are smaller, family-run hotels therefore more intimate. The restaurant at Bären is very good

I’m not familiar with the others you list.

Give us more information about the amenities you are looking for and we can be more helpful

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2015 at 23:27:39 #842932

Thanks.

Good guidance for me. I’ll try the Bären in June for a meal, or when I return in July. Swiss friends insist that I should stay and eat at the Schönegg, so Herr Allenspach will get my first attention.

I’m trying to get to Wengen more often this year, to get up to Männlichen Gipfel, see if I can improve on this image (attached.)

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    10 May 2015 at 3:11:12 #842933

Hi Slowpoke,

Your friends are right, do as they say! Best food in the area and likely in all of Switzerland. Stunning. When we stay in hotels (rarely, as we usually rent a chalet) we always stay there.

That said, sneaking out for an evening meal at the Bären is a must do as well. Really good food, lovely view from their dining room and, in warmer weather, the patio. Charming folks. They have an open restaurant (vs. one only for hotel guests unless you give them 2 – 3 days notice) and it is always full of locals. That tells you something

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 May 2015 at 6:51:11 #842934

Thanks for the encouragement.

I forgot to attach the image I that I mentioned. I’ll try again. I don’t think it is to big for the forum.

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 May 2015 at 7:15:01 #842935

That’s a wonderful picture!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 May 2015 at 8:11:13 #842936

[quote]Annika said: That’s a wonderful picture![/quote]

Annika –

Thanks. It took many tries to get that good weather.

It is a composite from several frames shot with a 6b7 film camera. It can be enlarged to be about 3-4 meters wide and 1 1/2 meters high. I just have to find a place to hang it if I print it. ;-(

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    10 May 2015 at 12:52:09 #842937

Thanks.

I am mainly looking for good views from the balcony of the hotel with a comfortable bed that offers good breakfast. It should preferably be a neat and clean one.

Could you also help me in deciding whether half board in the hotels is a good option or should I explore other areas to have dinner in Wengen?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    11 May 2015 at 5:46:06 #842938

Wow, Slowpoke, that is truly stunning! Thank you for sharing.

msra7hm2 (wow, that’s a difficult screen name!), you can rest assured that every hotel in Wengen will be spotlessly clean with everything in good working order. And they all provide breakfast. Do not know your definition of “good”.

In my opinion, the very best view hotel in the entire village is the Bellevue (bellevue-wengen.ch). Go to their website and look at the webcam. The views from the hotel are directly into the mouth of the Lauterbrunnen Valley with its waterfalls. It is a rather small family-run hotel that is traditionally Swiss and quite charming. If this doesn’t work for you or they are not open then (hotels in the region start shutting down in early October), the Hotel Belvedere (more or less across the street) has similar views. Not quite as stunning but remarkable nonetheless. Belvedere is a larger property.

Many other hotels in town have nice views as well, but none quite as stunning.

Re: half board, it is always a very good deal economically but we never do it when we stay in hotels, preferring instead to have a selection from the many good restaurants in the village. Most hotels will allow you to take a half board dinner anyway with a day or two notice.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    11 May 2015 at 9:23:54 #842939

Both the hotelsBellevue and Belvedere are closed during those dates.

Any other that offers similar views?

How much does an average meal cost in Wengen per person. 25 CHF?

Thanks a lot.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 May 2015 at 13:02:19 #842940

[quote]msra7hm2 said:

<<“Both the hotelsBellevue and Belvedere are closed during those dates.

Any other that offers similar views?”>>

Most hotels in Wengen are sited to take advantage of the splendid view along the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

I did a Google search for Hotel Bellevue Wengen Switzerland.

The map that was returned shows many hotels by name

google.com/maps/ place/Hotel+Bellevue, +3823+Wengen, +Switzerland/@46.6088984 ,7.9161827,899m/ data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1! 1s0x478fa1c03c8b12d1: 0xdd0677c259c96587

If you experiment with the map by enlarging and shrinking it, both in the “map” mode and the “aerial picture ” mode, you can get a good idea of how Wengen is sited and the town plan, where the hotels are located , and, if you shrink the map a lot, you can see the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

You may then compare that with the lists of hotels suggested earlier, as well as the lists provided on this My Swiss Alps site.

myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/hotels

From that exercise, you can make a judgement about which hotels to check in more detail.

Many have webcams. Other will offer “south facing” or Jungfrau facing rooms. All will have similar views. The hotels have been built to provide their guests with outstanding views, from the rooms which face to the south or toward the Jungfrau. There will be some differences in details form hotel to hotel, and some rooms will not have such good views. Check the hotel web sites and read about the rooms.

If you are in doubt at that point, you can telephone the hotels or e-mail them for more information. Even if they are not open yet – early June is typical – they will be very likely answering e-mails, at least every few days.

<<“How much does an average meal cost in Wengen per person. 25 CHF?”>>

It depends on what is average for you. For a full meal without alcoholic beverages, I think that the average would be about twice that. You can spend a lot more, especially if you add wine or beer, but, as someone said earlier, might get away with 25CHF for pizza and a drink.

Throughout Switzerland, hotels and restaurants usually have a “daily special” low-cost 3 course meal – which is called a “menu” . The piece of paper listing the meals is called die Karte in German, or the die Speisekarte, or, in English, usually the “card” or confusingly, once in a while, the menu.

The special(s) for the day may be listed on a chalkboard or in some other way outside the hotel or restaurant.

The days are long gone when the “menu” could be had for 25 CHF, especially in a resort town such as Wengen, but you may occasionally see such cheap specials at lower cost restaurants in some districts in the cities. Maybe spaghetti and a salad…….

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    11 May 2015 at 13:16:39 #842941

Lol. Your commentary on the food prices is hilarious and true. I come from a country where a meal is about CHF 3, so I thought making it 10 times would be like Switzerland but I was wrong. Haha

Thanks for all the information. I have almost decided to go for the valley view rooms in Sunshine Alpen Wengen. Any comments on it? Type of room etc?

Regards

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 May 2015 at 15:08:01 #842942

<<“Thanks for all the information. I have almost decided to go for the
    valley view rooms in Sunshine Alpen Wengen. Any comments on it? Type of
    room etc?”>>

No personal knowledge of that hotel..

The meal prices are certainly noticeable. My case is a lot less extreme than yours, but I have been going to Switzerlnd for many yearss, and my USD has ranged from 1.6 or so CHF to 0.7 CHF, and the meal prices were always noticeable. A lot more so when the USD only bought 0.7 CHF.

One way to save money is to buy a sandwich and something to drink for lunch.

Bakeries make sandwiches, and the convenience stores in most stations and many towns ( Aperto, Kiosk, Volg) usually have a refrigerated section where pre-made sandwiches can be bought.. I have eaten them for many years; they keep the stock fresh. Larger train stations have places for take-away food, and the Coop stores usually have an inexpensive buffet.

30 years ago every train station except the smallest had an adequate to excellent restaurant or buffet with some low priced dishes. Most have disappeared, and various kinds of substitutes vendors that offer various kinds of food have replaced them.

Since I try to eat well ( meaning, usually, expensively) at dinner, I often just get a sandwich for lunch.

• The thread ‘Choice of Hotel Wengen -Honeymoon couple 2 – 6 Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.