Clothing mid September for Mt. Titlis

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 23:06:46 #813084

What type of clothing should we expect to wear mid September 17 – 23. We are planning on easy hikes on Mt Rigi, around Mt Titlus and in the Jungfrau area. Any suggestions would be welcome . Thank you very much ,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 8:16:58 #868988

Hi NJfam,

There is no way to be sure of how warm or cold it will be but I would expect it to get up into maybe 12-15 degrees in the afternoon if you luck out. It could easily be around 0 degrees at that altitude as well.

pack warm clothes to wear in layers and be prepared for chilly temperatures and rain. Check the weather before you go up to get a better idea of what to wear on that specific day.

Mt. Titlis has a weather and webcam web page here.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 August 2017 at 18:07:32 #868989

Hi NJFam-

If you are lucky, you can dress as shown in the attached photos from September 22, 2009. We wore light jackets over thin sweaters or ordinary flannel long-sleeved shirts. In the sun , with no wind, we easily reached 20 degrees (68 deg. F).

However, that was an unusually beautiful day. We rearranged our schedulreto go up on that particular day, based on weather reports.. Lucas has suggested the desirable precautions, and, if you use layers, you can always cut back.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 19:19:13 #868990

Thank you forb the info on this matter. I had the same question as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 August 2017 at 19:46:43 #868991

Also. keep in mind that the weather can change very quickly at high altitude in the Alps. If the sun goes behind clouds, it can get cold quickly. And weather forecasts aren’t 100% reliable, because the mountains can cause winds and the weather to change suddenly.

We went up to Wengen in mid June a couple of years ago. I was taking my grandson for his first trip to the Alps. We had no fog at Lauterbrunnen, but there was a layer of clouds above us. Just as we came into Wengen station, the clouds parted. We had a terrific view of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. By the time we got to our hotel and checked in, the clouds had returned, and stayed through the next morning, even though a break in the clouds was forecast. We did ride the lift up to Männlichen from Wengen in the morning, just in case, and, in fact there was a bit of brightening and a few glimpses of blue sky, but there was no visibility for any distance. We had a cup of coffee at the restaurant, waited a while, and went back down. Went to Brienz and bought my granddaughter a music box at Jobin.

On that occasion, and on the trip in 2009, we had light waterproof rain jackets and hats in our back packs. I always have wet weather gear with me when I walk in the Alps.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 5:59:57 #868992

Hi Slowpoke!

I edited your post to say the weather forecasts in the mountains are not 100% reliable…I assume you meant to write that. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 August 2017 at 8:04:12 #868993

<<“I edited your post to say the weather forecasts in the mountains are not 100% reliable…I assume you meant to write that. :)”>>

Hi Lucas-

I did.

Thanks.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Clothing mid September for Mt. Titlis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.