Difference between Domodossola stations on SBB

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 9:37:26 #809878

Hello,

Could you please let me know why SBB shows two options for Domodossola, I.e Domodossola (1) and Domodossola Stazione? Please let me know the difference.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2016 at 12:09:13 #855112

Hi Traveller3,

Both are the same place: the train station. The first name does not contain a one as in the number 1, but a capital i to indicate it’s in Italy. The second name is the bus stop of the train station. In such cases you’d normally just pick the shortest name.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 13:51:32 #855113

Hi Arno,

Noted. Thank you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2016 at 7:11:11 #855114

The convention of adding “station” or “gare” to the name of the station generally indicates the bus stop. Sometimes it is 2-3 minutes walk from the train platforms.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 10:43:35 #855115

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 13:45:52 #855116

Hi Arno,

I will be travelling on the 6.42 a.m train from Wengen to Domodossola. Can you please let me know if there are any train changes during this trip? I have looked at the train time table, and it appears that its one train with no changes. Please let me know if that is correct.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 14:37:50 #855117

Hi Traveller3,

The Chg (changes) column says “3”, and you can see the changes by clicking on the plus icon in the first column.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 18:36:06 #855118

Hi Arno

I did click on the plus sign and it states that the train which arrives in Interlaken OST at 7.24 leaves for Spies at 7.29. I didn’t think it would be possible to catche trains so fast. So I assumed that its one train change. Please let me know practically how this happens,

Thanks

Appreciate your help very much,

Thank yoi

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 18:50:35 #855119

Hi Traveller3,

Such changes are perfectly normal in Switzerland and help making traveling efficient. The timetable only shows trips with doable changes. You’ll have even less time when changing in Lauterbrunnen. The timetable shows platforms numbers and there are plenty of signs at the stations. It’s very easy.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2016 at 19:20:48 #855120

Hi Traveller3-

It’s a small station. If you have a lot of luggage, be ready at the train exit with your luggage when you pull into I. Ost. Because yo have to go up and down some stairs and walk a short distance through a pedestrian tunnel, hauling a lot of luggage can be a nuisance. However, you’ll see a lot of other tourists doing it, and most will likely be trying to catch the same train that you are.

Standard train change time for Swiss trains is 4 minutes at most stations

Did you look at the track numbers for arrival and departure?

Larger stations have “trafimage” station plan maps available on the SBB website.

I.O. is too small to have one. Instead, I have linked to another map of the station plan

This link shows a map of the station from a SwissTopo map, but unfortunately does not have track numbers labelled: Nonetheless, you can see that there are only 3 platforms. You will come in on track 8, which is the local line running in and out of the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

You will leave on track two.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&X=1 71294.00&Y=633004.00&z oom=10

Google Maps offers a live view full 360 degrees image. Zoom in on the station in Google maps, then click on the little man and the blue spot on the map to get full 360 degree rotatable image., if this long below link does not work.

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Interlaken,+Switze rland/@46.6905325,7.86 96124,3a,75y,338.29h,9 0t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1 s-qkLeVH–4QA%2FV3N6b53FUAI%2FAA AAAAAAIpA%2FBueBfx046A wXCLS1zYTNClZ1JGydI8OA wCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2 Flh5.googleusercontent .com%2F-qkLeVH–4QA%2FV3N6b53FUAI%2FAA AAAAAAIpA%2FBueBfx046A wXCLS1zYTNClZ1JGydI8OA wCLIB%2Fw203-h101-n-k-no%2F!7i8704!8i4352!4m 5!3m4!1s0x1453996a3192 1a05:0x9c111af14c02be0 0!8m2!3d46.6863481!4d7 .8632049!6m1!1e1 and

You will come in from Lauterbrunnen on the track furthest to the south (track 8) . After you exit the train, you will go down stairs and walk about 30-50 meters through a pedestrian tunnel, go back up some stairs and will be on the correct platform. Watch the track numbers on the signs.

Once you are on the platform, they won’t leave if they see you getting on the train.

If you don’t have a lot of luggage, you can get on at any car,and walk through the center aisle to a car with open seats. If you have a lot of luggage,that is very hard to do, but not impossible. Then it might be to better to walk along the train a bit to one of the cars that is a bit farther from the stairs where you come up.

When you get to Spiez ( not Spies) you come in on track 2 and leave on track 3. It also is a small station. Their is no Trafimage map, but I am 99% sure from looking at other maps that your tracks are on the two sides of one platform.

Just walk across the platform.

Hope that helps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2016 at 6:30:46 #855121

Hi,

Thank you Arno and thank you Slowpoke for your detailed response.

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes it is Spiez. Auto correct 🙂 I need to check the links you have sent in detail. But, you have mentioned that I will be coming into Interlaken Most on track 8. Is it not track 2?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 9:17:47 #855122

Hi Traveler 3-

<<” But, you have mentioned that I will be coming into Interlaken Most on track 8. Is it not track 2? “>>

You are correct. I transposed the numbers. In on 2, out on 8. Thanks for catching my error.

I wish that the available maps showed the track numbers.

The map in the timetable footnote is not precise as to actual tracks….

However, the track that you come in on will be the southernmost, based on looking at a map of where the tracks come from. The Lines into/out of the valley via Wilderswil are ( if I recall correctly) narrow gauge (meter gauge.)

So are the tracks through the Brunig Pass to/from Luzern.

The tracks to Spiez and the main part of Switzerland are standard gauge.

Interlaken Ost is different from Interlaken West. You have created a new station – “Interlaken Most.” 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 4:55:15 #855123

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks so much for all the details you have provided. You have made it easier to understand 🙂

Yes, it is Interlaken Ost:)

Woukd you also be able to let me know where I can check the Zurich train station opening times? Our flight lands at around 13.00 hrs and need to purchase the train tickets and half fare cards.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2016 at 8:00:35 #855124

The staffed ticket office will definitely be open at that time, both at the main station and the airport train station. If you buy after arrival you will likely have to wait in line. If unlucky, you will miss the first available train because of that. You can save time by printing the Swiss Half Fare Cards at home via http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the cards in 1-3 business days (no delivery fees). With those in hand, you can get discounted tickets from the machines, which is much quicker. Further purchase options are listed here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2016 at 8:07:27 #855125

Hi Traveller3-

Armo and Annika often suggest buying the rail passes online. They can comment. You did not tell us when you are traveling….might make a difference.

The first place to look for any kind of information about the trains is the SBB website.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

In this case, follow links from the home page under Stations & Services.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.3000.html ?WT.ac=service-zh-en

On that page, there is a tab for Equipment, also.

That is where you find out about storage lockers for luggage.

Slowpoke

PS –

Ooops-

I read your note too literally.

The station that you want to check is Zürich Airport (Flughafen.)

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.3016.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 8:24:31 #855126

Hi Arno,

Thank you. I was initially planning on buying on line, but had a few issues in purchasing train tickets off ItaliRail, so was concerned that the transaction might not go through. As such, thought of purchasing in Zurich itself, although I am more inclined towards purchasing it on line.

Also, I apologize for posting these questions under a thread with a different heading.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 8:25:28 #855127

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks so much. Appreciate the info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 10:17:50 #855128

Larger stations have “trafimage” station plan maps available on the SBB website.

I.O. is too small to have one. Instead, I have linked to another map of the station plan

I remember last time I was looking for a plan of Interlaken Ost station I couldn’t find one, but then I found one on my computer that I must have downloaded a few years ago. I have attached it.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2016 at 14:05:56 #855129

Thanks-

That will be useful now and in the future and shows the track numbers.

Do you know if they have supplemented the rather narrow stairs with escalators or elevators or anything?

I wonder if that is from the BLS….I’ll have to look.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 23:47:21 #855130

Hi Slowpoke

No elevators or escalators at Interlaken Ost – it remains a choice between the stairs or a ramp up/down which you can pull/push wheeled luggage or a wheelchair or pushchair.

It’s actually the same at Thun Bahnhof.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 August 2016 at 0:07:06 #855131

<<“No elevators or escalators at Interlaken Ost – it remains a choice between the stairs or a ramp up/down which you can pull/push wheeled luggage or a wheelchair or pushchair.”>

Thaks.

They do get crowded if you have a lot of luggage to transport.

<<“It’s actually the same at Thun Bahnhof.”>>

Very rarely get off there..last time was to seek the nearly mythical Vaporama.

Have had some nice lunches along side the river at the Hotel Freienhof.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘Difference between Domodossola stations on SBB’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.