Does the Schilthorn cable car activate Flexipass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 6:47:48 #811991

Hello! If the Schilthorn cable car is the only thing I am traveling on for the day, will that count as an “active” day for Flexipass? Or can I get the 50% discount on the cable car without activating the pass? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    27 May 2017 at 16:00:33 #864010

Welcome to MySwissAlps, candacet!

In order to get the 50% discount on the Schilthorn cable car yes, you have to use a free travel day on your Swiss Travel Pass Flex. It’s explained at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpassflex/howtouse. Does this answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 18:17:50 #864011

Hi Annika,

Yes makes sense, I had read somewhere that you could get the 50% discount without activating the pass if that was your only travel for the day, thank you for clarifying!

One more question, I understand that a reservation on the Golden Express panorama train is required — is this seat covered under FlexiPass and you just need to reserve it or you also need to pay for the seat? I can’t figure it out from the booking site. If you do need to pay a separate fee for the seat, are there trains from Interlaken to Montreaux that are covered under the travel pass and have regular windows? 🙂

Thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 1:32:42 #864012

Hi candacet,

>> I understand that a reservation on the Golden Express panorama train is required

No, reservations are not required for the Golden Pass panorama train.

However, the sector between Zweisimmen and Montreux is very popular and can get busy, so a reservation for that sector can be useful if you want to make sure of having a window seat. If you are travelling with companions, a reservation can also ensure that you are seated together.

>> I can’t figure it out from the booking site. If you do need to pay a separate fee for the seat

If you reserve a seat, you need to pay CHF 8 for the reservation. If you don’t reserve a seat, your trip is completely free with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex on a travel day.

>> are there trains from Interlaken to Montreaux that are covered under the travel pass and have regular windows?

Yes. The fare for all trains on this route, Golden Pass or normal, is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex on a travel day. The official Golden Pass trains can be identified in the timetable by the description “MOB PANORAMIC” or “MOB BELLE EPOQUE” for the sector Zweisimmen to Montreux. Any trains without that description are normal trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 14:50:14 #864013

Thank you! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 3:37:11 #864014

Hello again!

We have a stopover at the Beatenbucht station which appears to not have lockers. Do you know if the station will hold my luggage for a few hours? Definitely not overnight. From 1pm – 4pm.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 5:32:34 #864015

Sorry more questions keep coming up, thank you for your patience!

I am trying to purchase the print-at-home FlexiPass here: https://www.swiss-pass.ch/swiss-flexi-pass/, however there is no option for print-at-home, only mail or activate at the train station, both with additional fees. Has the print-at-home option been removed?

Thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:09:07 #864016

No, Beatenbucht does not have a left luggage service either unfortunately. You can find out what stations offer what services on the SBB website here.

The Swiss Traval Pass Flex is not able to be emailed to you (I don’t think this was ever an option). I haven’t heard of swiss-pass.ch before either.

You can have the rail pass mailed to your first hotel in Switzerland however at no charge; Also I believe shipping is free to the US.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 0:18:37 #864017

>> We have a stopover at the Beatenbucht station which appears to not have lockers. Do you know if the station will hold my luggage for a few hours? Definitely not overnight. From 1pm – 4pm.

Beatenbucht is not actually a (railway) station. Beatenbucht has a pier, where the Lake Thun boat stops. There is also bus stop for the bus between Thun and Interlaken, and you can get the funicular up to Beatenberg from there as well.

Where are you coming from, and going to, when you will stop over in Beatenbucht? What mode of transport are you using? Providing those details might help in identifying somewhere suitable to store your luggage.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 2:26:02 #864018

Hi Alpenrose,

We are going from Thun –> Beatenbucht (3-4 hours for the Bunker Fischbalmen tour) –> Gimmewald via public transportation. My best idea was to store our luggage at the Interlaken station lockers then take the bus (?) back to Beatenbucht. Please let me know if you have any other ideas, thank you!

Also, you mentioned earlier that the Golden Pass panorama trains are labeled as “MOB PANORAMIC” or “MOB BELLE EPOQUE.” I’m trying to reserver our seats (see attached) however the website doesn’t indicate if it’s a regular train vs panorama train? Is there any way to determine this, just want to make sure I’m reserving the right thing =).

Thank you!!

Candace

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 9:08:35 #864019

>> We are going from Thun –> Beatenbucht (3-4 hours for the Bunker Fischbalmen tour) –> Gimmewald via public transportation. My best idea was to store our luggage at the Interlaken station lockers then take the bus (?) back to Beatenbucht.

Yes, leaving your luggage at Interlaken Ost station sounds like the best idea, as you will go through Interlaken Ost on your way to Gimmelwald after your Bunker Fischbalmen tour.

Are you getting a boat from Thun to Interlaken? If so, it will go to Interlaken West, from where you can get a train or bus to Interlaken Ost to deposit your luggage.

Bus 21 runs between Interlaken Ost station and Thun Station, with a stop at Beatenbucht. Services (until 28 October) are half hourly in each direction. Last direct bus service from Beatenbucht to Interlaken Ost leaves Beatenbucht at 18:32 (but check this for your specific travel date).

>> Also, you mentioned earlier that the Golden Pass panorama trains are labeled as “MOB PANORAMIC” or “MOB BELLE EPOQUE.” I’m trying to reserver our seats (see attached) however the website doesn’t indicate if it’s a regular train vs panorama train? Is there any way to determine this, just want to make sure I’m reserving the right thing =).

Those descriptions can be found in the SBB (Swiss Railways) timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

All the services on the Golden Pass reservation website are official Golden Pass trains. The 4.25 pm train is a Belle Epoque train. The 5:05 pm is a panorama train. The previous panorama train is at 2.25pm. I haven’t travelled on a Belle Epoque train, so I don’t know what the windows are like. Hopefully someone else knows.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 12:43:56 #864020

Hi Candace,

The Belle Epoque windows are also ‘panoramic’ in style though the windows are not quite as big as the newer MOB panoramic windows

The trains are older heritage-style trains…my wife and I traveled on them instead of the more modern train for a change of pace!

See attached pics.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 14:02:14 #864021

Thank you so much, immensely helpful!

• The thread ‘Does the Schilthorn cable car activate Flexipass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.