Domodossola train/bus connection

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    6 May 2018 at 23:47:07 #815788

On researching transit from Locarno to engelberg I see there is a bus to train transfer in domodossola ( sorry if the spelling is wrong) how far of a walk is it from bus to train? I read Arno’s Ticino trip report and he mentioned the train transfer he was making was hard to find with no signs so it crossed my mind I might miss where the bus is in time to catch it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2018 at 23:54:01 #884472

The bus will take you from Locarno FART station to Domodossola station. The bus is replacing the train due to a landslide. The SBB timetable has been updated accordingly. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/landslide-locarno-to-domodossola.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 May 2018 at 3:50:48 #884473

Thanks Rockoyster, I do get that there is a transfer from bus to train, I was wanting to know how easy it is to find the train platforms from the bus station; last year on my way to Aare Gorge the train stopped in Meiringen and then the connecting train wasn’t at the same station in fact it was quite a walk from it on an entire other line. No signs. Something like that would be useful to know in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 6:41:16 #884474

>> last year on my way to Aare Gorge the train stopped in Meiringen and then the connecting train wasn’t at the same station in fact it was quite a walk from it on an entire other line.

Perhaps you’re thinking of somewhere else. The train to Innertkirchen MIB, which stops at Aareschlucht West for the gorge, leaves from Platform 13 at Meiringen station.

It’s just a 1-minute walk around the end of the platform at the front of the train you arrive on, and is signposted. Aerial shot attached for the benefit of anyone else who might be looking for it. There is no need to walk away from the station.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 7:01:28 #884475

>> I was wanting to know how easy it is to find the train platforms from the bus station

From the Domodossola bus terminal (Domodossola, stazione), cross the road to the police station and turn left. Walk about 100 metres in total. After about 50 metres, you will see a sign pointing downstairs to the Centovalli line. Keep walking along the street for another 50 metres until you get to the main station entrance.

Lucas’ trip report referred to transferring from the main train line (Brig-Domodossola) to the Centovalli line (Domodossola-Locarno).

Alpenrose

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 May 2018 at 14:49:37 #884476

Thank you alpenrose for your reply! However last year I was directed (with some difficulty!) by someone at the station behind a window to go through town and make a right past the tracks and found another train stop there; that’s where I picked up the next train. So unfortunately I didn’t find the stop that was much closer. On the return since I didn’t know about the closer stop I got off on the same spot and walked back to the station. It was about a 15 minute walk if I recall correctly 🙁 but I went where I was told to go so I didn’t know any different.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 May 2018 at 14:51:03 #884477

Yes, it was lucas’ it’s not Arno, sorry! And I was only using that as an example. Ah well, maybe I’ll end up spending more time in chamonix.

• The thread ‘Domodossola train/bus connection’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.