Eating advise; looking for proper affordable food

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 19:28:14 #809458

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Switzerland for 1st – 9th July. I heard foods r very expensive there. We are three people. Our plan is a night at Basel. Then Lucern for 3 nights. Then Zermatt for 3. Then a night in St Moritz. And finaly 2 nights in Zurich.

I don’t have very tight budget but don’t wanna spend unnecessary. Could anybody suggest me where I can eat proper food in reasonable cost.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Dhrub

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2016 at 23:28:55 #853174

Hi Drubh –

<<“I heard foods r very expensive there. We are three people. Our plan is a night at Basel. Then Lucern for 3 nights. Then Zermatt for 3. Then a night in St Moritz. And finaly 2 nights in Zurich.

I don’t have very tight budget but don’t wanna spend unnecessary. Could anybody suggest me where I can eat proper food in reasonable cost.”>>

What is proper food?

This may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

and,

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food

Compared to London or Paris, Swiss food is not expensive. Compared to India or Pakistan, it is.

Switzerland makes a lot of meals fom potatos- nutritious and flavorful.

Watch for ” Rösti” potatoes and variations of Rösti with egg or cheese or bits of meat.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 8:56:20 #853175

<Removed by moderator>

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 13:31:24 #853176

Hi Dhrub. I just came back from my first trip to Switzerland. Yes, the foods there is very expensive compared to where I come from. “Still water” in cafes and restaurants are chargeable and cost more than soft drinks. If you want to save cost, carry your own water bottle. The tap water is drinkable and is cool and refreshing. Bread and sandwiches are in abundance there. You can buy cheaper version from the supermarkets Migros and COOP. I like bread but not for all 3 meals. So I brought instant noodles from home. Cup noodles cost about CNF9 in the place of interests. The supermarkets sell instant noodles in sachets so you need to have your own soup cup or bowls and fork and spoons or chopsticks. If you want to save on foods, pack your own sandwiches when you visit places. You can have your meal in the train and enjoy the beautiful scenery during your journey. A Macdonalds meal is about CNG13.

Switzerland is well known for its cheese fondue. However, no sharing allowed in some restaurants. Its only bread and whole potatoes and I find even one portion for a person is too much. Beef steak in restaurant is about CNF42. Pizza CNF 24. Just a rough estimate for your info.

Aside from foods, WC in train stations is CNF1. You need to insert a coin to open the door. However, all trains have WC.

Switzerland is very beautiful. The scenery is just magnificent. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday. Regards, lkwlee

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 15:57:20 #853177

Thanks slowpoke & Ikwlee. Your answers are really helpful.

So if I consider CHF30 per day per meal for local restaurants is that very low? I was wandering how much cash should I carry for foods dealy basis.

Regards

Dhrub

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2016 at 20:20:52 #853178

Hi LKWLee and Dhrub-

A famous way to compare the cost of living in various countries is the “Big Mac Index.”

Developed many years ago by the magazine “The Economist” it is now maintained by someone else

Check this link. It shows prices in USD of a “Big Mac” in many countries. Switzerland is by far the most expensive.

:http://www.statista.com/stati stics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

I cannot give a good estimate of the lowest costs possible, because I do not normally seek them out. Many of the places mentioned, such a COOP and Migros accept credit cards. The sell cup noodles and othe economical foods, as well as some vegetarian items. Larger ones have buffets, where you can pick and choose nnd see prices.

And, you can obtain cash from ATM’s, generally at about the best rates available, if you carry such a card.

In smaller places in the countryside, and, occasionally in the very highest priced luxurious places, cash iis king… no credit cards. But, they are reasonably common in restaurants and the stores mentioned, especially in the major tourist areas.

Many inns and hotels have breakfast included in their prices. Check when you reserve.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 22:48:59 #853179

Hi Slowpoke,

I have already reserved it. Some of them has free breakfasts. Some doesn’t. Mostly staying in city. So I always can use my credit cards. But that was not my question.

My question was how much I spend for a meal in a local restaurant. I am not talking about 3-5 course meal. But normally 2 slices of pizza vth a cup of coffee. Or a plate of pasta or spaghetti serves the purpose. Breads r always options. But I m not really planning to survive just on breads for 10days. So I am just looking for all available options.

So I am asking how much it may cost if I order for a single dish in a restaurant. Not in a 5 or 3 star. But simple drive by or stalls or small restaurants. Single dish like a plate of pasta, spaghetti, noodles, roasted chicken vth smashed potatoes and vegetables, plain rice with chicken or simply a club sandwich.

thanks & regards

Dhrub

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2016 at 23:57:40 #853180

Hi Drubh-

I buy sandwiches at convenience stores and bakeries. Maybe 5 or 6 CHf, or,maybe not. Don’t remember.

I cannot help further.

If the links that I provided earlier don’t help. perhaps Arno and Anniko can.

I have never seen a “simple drive by restaurant” in Switzerland.

Perhaps I am missing an experience. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2016 at 9:39:19 #853181

Many supermarkets indeed have excellent take away options. In larger towns, you’ll find “Coop City” stores which are more or less specialized in convenient take away food. Some Coop stores also have pretty affordable restaurants. Attached is the week menu of their restaurant in Luzern. You don’t need to go there specifically, but this will give you an idea of the lowest prices. So around CHF 10 for fast food, CHF 12 for a vegetarian dish and CHF 14-20 for other dishes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2016 at 10:29:34 #853182

Dear Slowpoke, thanks for the info on “Big Mac” statistics. First time I heard of it. It’s very interesting. Regards, lkwlee

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2016 at 15:39:38 #853183

Thanks guys for your response. It’s very helpful information for me..

regards

Dhrub..

• The thread ‘Eating advise; looking for proper affordable food’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.